Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How to put a ski holiday together

Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone

My son and I are looking to go skiing next year, probably January or February. We're going to buy our own gear, so we'd be hoping to get everything else for under a grand. Is that doable?

I'm looking for advice on how to go about putting together a cheap ski holiday. Are trains cheaper? DIY or package, etc?

I'm away for a few days, so I won't be able to reply, but I promise I'll read every (any ) replies. We've just been to our last dry slope session (have to shift energy to marathon training), so we're fired up. I just couldn't wait to post this thread as we're committed to saving up the pennies to make this winter holiday happen.

Thank you for reading Smile
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
... If this is your first ski trip, why are you buying your own gear? Unless you mean clothes. Don't buy skis/boots.

You can go pretty cheap, depending on how scummy a place you can cope with, and whether you want self-catering. Things that add costs are lift passes and lessons.

I've found that you can get cheaper than package holidays, but it's hard work. And if you're new, maybe you'll benefit from having someone there to ask stuff.

Oh, and how long for?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Olivia- I heard it's as cheap to buy second hand gear off of ebay as to rent. I skied twice, nearly 20 years ago, so it's not my first time. I was hoping for B&B. Not doing lessons, but do want passes Smile

Was looking at a week, but a few extra days would be even better.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
faithsdaddy, how old is your son? ARe you able to go on a holiday in term time? If you can, that's the answer - because school holiday times are far more expensive, and more crowded.

For your first holiday, I'd go with a package, and rent skis and boots. You might get something good off ebay but you're just as likely to get poor value gear (people here on Snowheads often boast about the stupid prices "some mug" has paid for their old skis on ebay wink )

If you can go in low season (mid January is ideal) you can wait for a last minute bargain.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
But buying ski clothing on ebay (or far cheaper in local charity shops) can save you a lot of money. It's not all a bargain though.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
faithsdaddy, if it's a first ski holiday I'd go with a tour operator, helps to have someone like a rep show you the ropes. If there's just the two of you looking to go in Jan you should be able to get a good deal, stay flexible, book last minute etc... You probably won't need a mega resort for the first week so probably end up paying less for ski passes.

Wouldn't bother buying skis/boots, hire first off, if you get into it boots should be a priority, but buy new so you can be sure they fit.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
For two a late deal package will be cheapest ime, passes will be a big expense, definitely hire equipment not buy - should come up at around £50-£60 each for beginner gear, ski carriage on a place is usually £35 anyway so no saving to be made by owning your own. Go early jan for best deals Smile (http://alpinresorts.com for gear, http://igluski.com for package deals)

Cheapest I would expect in France/Italy/Austria would be:
Ski&Boot hire (*2) = £120
Lift Passes *2 = £380
Cheap self catering studio package deal * 2 = £500
---------------
£1000
--------------

I would really suggest you take lessons - snow isn't at all the same as dry ski and on your first trip in years I'd say they are a must have for enjoyment and safety.

Happy hunting Smile

aj xx

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Fri 25-01-13 0:15; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
hammerite wrote:
faithsdaddy, if it's a first ski holiday I'd go with a tour operator, helps to have someone like a rep show you the ropes. If there's just the two of you looking to go in Jan you should be able to get a good deal, stay flexible, book last minute etc... You probably won't need a mega resort for the first week so probably end up paying less for ski passes.

Wouldn't bother buying skis/boots, hire first off, if you get into it boots should be a priority, but buy new so you can be sure they fit.

I'd second this. Don't know whether you're sociable types or not, but really enjoyed last Inghams trip where had a hotel - people to talk to for different opinions on skiing and boarding, totally looked after, and reps to ask questions/discuss worries etc.

Haven't used that many other tour operators, some will be better than others.

If first time, try to avoid resorts that are known for only hard runs ...

um

*hands over to wiser SHs*
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
a.j. wrote:

Cheap self catering studio package deal * 2 = £500 (catered)

Make your mind up. wink

As an idea of how cheap - my next trip is a studio being shared by 4 people (probably all lying in the sink on top of each other), but includes transfers and flights, for £259 pp.

If not doing through a TO - transfers add a surprising amount to the cost.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Lift Passes *2 = £380

no need to spend that much. More like £280 - no need to go for a big area where you won't be able to scratch the surface.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I know pam but late deals often are for the bigger areas. Edited the other one, I was originally adding in a catered price, but had a change of heart NehNeh
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
If you're planing it use stay at a mountain sun property ( http://www.mountainsunltd.com/ ) not sure if any other places offer free transfers but transfers can be extremely expensive depending on where you go. If you wish to save money get the coach: http://www.snowexpress.co.uk/

Could possibly look at going low season next year to get cheaper lift passes, the week before christmas is usually quite a bit off a lift pass, just try and go for a high altitude resort if you want decent snow.

Not sure how old you are but http://www.ucpa.co.uk/ if you are looking for lessons too, but think there are some age restrictions
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Package is cheaper if you're looking for a low overall price. I could put together a trip that would undercut an expensive package, but not some of the cheap ones.

Train isn't usually cheaper unless you can find a cheap way of getting to France. If you live in Dover, this could work.

Are there still all inclusive packages ? I used to see trips with transport accomodation, equipment, lift pass and lessons included. That would usually be in a lesser known resort in a less fashionable country.

Aldi, LIDL, TKMAX, all good for clothing. Limited supplies though. I used to borow most of my gear.

Running kit makes a decent base layer, Lycra that is, wouldn't advise spit shorts under ski pants.

Cheap second hand kit off eBay is probably knackered. New stuff can be got for lowish prices if you go somewhere like Decathlon, but you have to check the fit yourself. If Swiss Tim has stuff, it may be worth looking, if you are determined to buy. Many folk on here seem to know how to get discounts on rental kit at the far end.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

late deals often are for the bigger areas

I don't know about that. There often seem to be deals to places like Chamrousse (6 day adult ticket €152) Ellmau (€178 but good child reductions). You can get two adult 6 day passes for the Courchevel Valley for less than £380.

On the other hand, I think your price for a last minute apartment holiday is a little optimistic. Looking quickly at the likes of Crystal, £300 each is about the bottom. Taking 2 people costs more per head than taking 4.

And feeding yourself in a ski resort costs more than feeding yourself at home, even if you cook for yourself.

I'd say that including a cheap package, hiring equipment and lift pass, plus spending during the week, you'd be doing v well to spend less than £700 each.

I also agree lessons make sense - another £135 or so, for 2 people for 6 days in a group lesson.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pam w wrote:
Quote:

late deals often are for the bigger areas

I don't know about that. There often seem to be deals to places like Chamrousse (6 day adult ticket €152) Ellmau (€178 but good child reductions).

That price for Ellmau is only at the start and end of the season (before 21/12 or after 16/03). The rest of the season, it is €209 (€167 for 16-19 year olds, €105 for under 16, over 7).

So if his son is 16 or older, then it is €376 - not far off the €380 suggested above.
snow conditions
OK - that's more expensive than I thought! But there are surely plenty of places in both Austria and France where 2 passes for perfectly adequate local areas can be bought for less than €440 (£380 at today's lousy exchange rate wink ).
snow report
Just thought I'd quickly check the replies before we go. Thank you ever so much for your replies everyone. I really appreciate it Smile
latest report
faithsdaddy,
Just to give you an idea of last minute prices I went out this year on the 12th Jan (a known very quiet week).

When I was looking at packages (just before Christmas) there were loads of holidays being 'dumped' onto the market around the £325 - £350 price point. These were for catered chalets, including flights, transfers, food and wine. Apartments were cheaper but I didn't check into them all that much - often Studios are sold for 4 people with supplements for just 2 people.

In the end I took up a catered chalet with Crystal for £325 in Canazei (Italian Dolomites) but could have gone to a few of the big French resorts - La Plagne 1800 seemed to have lots of options around £350 from memory.

If you can go the first 2-3 weeks in January you will find this to be a very cheap time to go. Late booking I'd suggest 2-3 weeks prior to departure seems to have the right balance between choice and cost. If you leave it very late choice is limited and prices may have firmed up a bit.

A catered chalet can save you a hell of lot of money on food and drink in resort and you could also meet others who may be in ski school (if you elect for this).

At times TOs can get a bit of a bad press on SHs but Crystal were superb during the week for us and if you leave it late AND go in a quiet time you will probably find it cheaper than DIY, plus you don't need to think much Happy
latest report
To get the best out of skiing and make the whole experience a lot less painful I would recommend factoring in lessons. When you have learned to ski properly you will get so much more enjoyment out of it, personally I wouldn't touch buying boots/skis as it would be cheaper to rent and you don't have to carry them or store them, save buying until you are good enough to be able to buy equipment that you won't improve out of in a year. False economy in my view.
For clothing, try eBay in summer for the best bargains. I think to keep it under a grand you need a large amount of luck and possibly be prepared to travel same day as booking.
I would personally try a snowdome session or 2 to get the feel of snow, but of course unless you are upto a reasonable standard you can't recreational ski, you will need tuition. Vicious circle I know but that's the way it is.
Enjoy it's about to get expensive Twisted Evil
snow conditions
Some passes are lower, some are higher. Ime on late deals higher is the more likely result, but I guess that might be as we have a mixed group and I'm scanning over smaller options without noticing. Courchevel only pass is around dead on E218 -> £188 *2 -> £376. Les Arcs only E222.5. Avoriaz - E225. Flaine E216. At the other end of the scale milky way is E180, Valloire E170. Assuming you are right and I'm optimistic on apartment cost then it all balances out anyway Wink

Faithsdaddy - can you face the coach? If so this is a very cheap way to get out there: http://www.igluski.com/brides-les-bains/club-hotel-le-verseau_p20234?holidayid=47220995
latest report
Could look at somewhere that has some free lifts for use in first few days - Tignes, Val Thorens etc this will then bring the lift pass cost down, and give you a chance to get your "ski legs" back.
latest report
Quote:

Are there still all inclusive packages ? I used to see trips with transport accomodation, equipment, lift pass and lessons included. That would usually be in a lesser known resort in a less fashionable country.

Yes, there are at least two, and very good they are, both in top French resorts. May well be others. Club Med has completely all-inclusive deals. I've no experience of them, but there have been some very enthusiastic recent reports. But they're not cheap - the OP is looking for basic. The UCPA centres provide full board (including lunch), equipment, passes and lessons. There are packages without lessons but the lessons are good, and cheap. Action Outdoors sells these holidays in the UK and runs coaches to some centres (Flaine is one). However, they are for young people (though some 50-somethings have been on them) and depending on the age of the OP's child (a boy called Faith?) might not suit. Most accommodation is dorm style, some centres have twin rooms at a small supplement (Flaine, again, being one).

Snowheads is littered with positive reports about UCPA, their holidays are incredible value. One report of an off-piste holiday said that the top group were really expert, mostly Scandinavians and in piste skiing and snowboarding too the top lessons groups are likely to be at a high standard. French and Scandinavian skiers don't seem to give up lessons after one week, Brit-stylee.

For example, flaine 23/2, coach from London, £765, twin room only £30 supplement. Full time instruction. It would be well-nigh impossible to put together a cheaper package. The only extra would be a beer or so of an evening.

My son in law has done winter and summer (mountain activity) holidays with UCPA and rates them v highly.
snow report
What Brokenwing says.... If you can't ski far ski pass money would be better spent on lessons.
snow report
I'd definitely second what e17phil said. Catered Chalet is the way to go. The operators have paid for these properties for the entire season so any unfilled places are wasted money so any return they can get on the chalet last minute is good for them (I used to work for Airtours when they offered ski holidays, a long, long time ago). On the other hand, operators can have an "option" on apartments so it means they won't sell them unless they're making a profit (I presume it still works that way!). Catered Chalets are a fantastic way of doing a ski holiday and really add to it. You'll probably find it cheaper the earlier you go in January and the majority will be in French resorts so you may need to look at a local area rather than full area pass to keep costs down a bit.
snow conditions
The crystal ski plus learn to ski packages include tuition, ski hire, lift passes on top of the normal flights, accommodation and transfer and although they aren't top of my list of TOs you could do a lot worse and they certainly look pretty good on value.
ski holidays
Catered chalet holidays are great, especially if you can get last minute deals, but you'd still struggle to undercut the cost of a basic apartment and feeding yourself (would be much more fun though!)
snow report
As lots of people have said - don't buy skis (especially for your son) since you will want different skis once you get past the beginner stage, plus airlines charge a lot now to transport skis. As for boots it is important to buy new when you do buy and spend a lot of time trying on boots. Beginners always choose boots which are too loose - you shouldn't be able to move your foot inside the boot (other than wiggling your toes of course). You need to be able to take them back and have them blown out if they pinch badly somewhere. Much better for your son to hire first time.

Obviously self-catering will generally be cheapest, if you don't mind doing that. Other than that a catered chalet. B & B is usually a false economy since Restaurants always cost more than you expect.
ski holidays
Oh, of course, coach is usually the cheapest travel option. I'm not keen on them myself, but they are there.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
faithsdaddy, if you are looking at Jan/Feb 2014, you are way too early to book things at the moment. Most operators have not released their pricing, and those that have don't yet have confirmed pricing, flight details (like which airports they are offering) for anything after December really.

Suggest you spend the time over the summer, around June/July/August making the calls and on the internet. For a group of 2 or 3 you will have more choice than you could possibly want, and with your fairly open requirements it should be like shooting fish in a barrel to find a deal.

Suggest a search through someone like Iglu to find where you want to go, then ring them up and ask for a bit of discount, you'll save some money.

If this is your first trip for a while, the backup and assistance of a TO makes sense. All you have to do is get to the airport with your bags and you are sorted.

On the equipment front £1K is enough to equip an entire family. Just do your research, and ask us before committing to buy stuff. Again there are loads of deals at the end of the season, so rushing into buying things any time before April is wasting money.
latest report
Monium, errr I have already booked for April 2014. I agree that not all TOs have released next seasons prices but a lot have. You can also get some good discounts for booking early and lots of choice on rooms if you are fussy like me, I agree there is no need to panic about booking yet and I personally think given their circumstances they are better with a TO but I would suggest that if they do decide to go the DIY apartment route the best value ones will be snapped up early.
latest report
Quote:

Club Med has completely all-inclusive deals. I've no experience of them, but there have been some very enthusiastic recent reports. But they're not cheap - the OP is looking for basic.

I loved club med but concur they are not cheap, however I DO think they come out in the 'good value' category if oyu like your food, and it's such low hassle having everything included.

I second the recomendations for getting a late deal for the early January weeks to a catered chalet. Will be much more fun and sociable and save you the expense of eating and drinking out in the resort. Plus you get cake every afternoon. Yo ucan defo get a cetered chalet (acomodation, food and wine, flights nad transfers) for £350. Then you only need to worry about lift pass, hire, lessons and lunches.
latest report
We used to queeze into a friends appartment , 19 sq m ( he let us have it for £320 , so £80 each ).
80.00 EJ flight
80.00 appt
70.00 shared car hire and garage parking (VT)
= £230

If you don't mind cooking then appartments are the way to go.
If you check the latania.co.uk website you'll find a 2 bed ( sleeps 9 !! )
on 2nd feb for £550 so ( and this isn't exactly what you're after but in case you find others to share )
it works out to £60 each.
However if you add the cost of eating out ( say £20pp per night )
at £140 per week then that is about £350.

rocketski have good deals ( club hotel ) eg Serre Chevalier advertised in December for £325 - flight, accom , half board.

oh and +1 for UCPA
snow report
Quote:

We used to queeze into a friends appartment , 19 sq m ( he let us have it for £320 , so £80 each

Laughing That must have been on piste in a top resort, at New Year, to be a bargain.
snow report
Quote:

I've found that you can get cheaper than package holidays, but it's hard work.

What's hard about surfing the internet and picking what you want? All you need is flights, a car and an apartment and possibly hire equipment and lessons but they're all very easy to organise online.

We're self propelling to Les Menuires tomorrow (booked yesterday) and Les Sybelles in March and it wasn't 'hard work' at all to organise. Rather fun actually.
snow report
kat.ryb wrote:
You can defo get a cetered chalet (acomodation, food and wine, flights nad transfers) for £350.

In January or February somewhere other than Bulgaria? Do let me know where, as I'd book that. I've done similar deals for December, but they were pretty outstanding deals, and I had to find 30 mates to come along to get that price. You'd have to book less than a week before leaving to get a deal like that, not ideal for anyone without much experience of ski trips.
snow report
Quote:

In January or February somewhere other than Bulgaria?

In the first or second week of Jan, or the Dec week prior to Christmas - but yes, I was thinking book super last min.

I can't see why you would want the hassle of trawling round trying to get a cheapo DIY trip for your first trip. Just pony up the cash (£650ish for caterd chalet in low season not last min) to a TO and enjoy Happy
ski holidays
I agree with Monium that a catered chalet including flights for £350 is not very easy to find. (are there any deals like that for tomorrow?).
snow report
For first time skiers, I'd agree that going with a T/O package is easiest; travel, accommodation, transfers, info etc all sorted and reps on hand to help.

But there are ways of stretching your budget, whether you go with a T/O or DIY:

1) Lift passes. Look for resorts that have 'Points Cards' or Carnets, particularly beginners and second-week skiers - e.g. A 6-day ticket in Saalbach costs €220, but a '1,000 points' card costs €100. A beginner will only be using 60-80 points a day for the first 3 days, so it will be hard to use 1,000 in a week. Should a top-up be required, 500 points cost an extra €50.

2) Take a picnic. OK, not practical in January or in a blizzard, but if Spring skiing on sunny days in March, €10-€12 spent in the local supermarket will buy 4 rolls, cheese, ham, 4 chocolate bars and 4 cans of fizz/beer (compared with €40+ for 4 lunches in Austria and €*@! in France). Find a sunny spot at the top of the mountain and enjoy the view.

3) Self-cater. From the comments above, maybe not an option in France, but in Austria the supermarket prices are on a par with the UK, so spag bol for 4 can easily be done for £10 (add €2 and you can get a drinkable bottle of wine too).

4) Use public transport for transfers - it's an adventure and in many places an easy option as long as you're not carrying skis and boots as well as your baggage. E.g. Salzburg Airport to any resort within 80km (Zell am See, Saalbach, Bad Gastein, Wagrain etc) for about €12 p.p by Postbus.
ski holidays
Quote:

Self-cater. From the comments above, maybe not an option in France

Puzzled the majority of skiers in French resorts are self-catering, there are comparatively few hotels compared to Austria and Italy. You can get mega-cheap deals of accommodation with lift passes in French resorts, often undercutting the tour operators but as mentioned above, people booking these plus a cheap flight can then be taken aback to find the transfer costs more than the flight!

There's no simple answer to how to do a cheap ski holiday. Well, I suppose the simple answer is that there's no such thing! For people used to cheap beach packages, a ski holiday can seem hugely expensive though it is, of course, incomparably better. wink

I think we need a bit more input from the OP as to what he's looking for. A key factor will be when. If it's school hols, much of the advice will be different.
ski holidays
pam w, Sorry, I was deducing from the earlier posts (and my own experience) that Self-catering and Cheap were mutually exclusive terms when considering France due to the high price of groceries. And of course the cost of the transfers, which tend to be much longer, and therefore more expensive, than in Austria.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy