Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hiring - Gold, Silver, Bronze, Diamond, Platinum, VIP etc. etc.

Poster: A snowHead
Puzzled

Hi All,

I was wondering what the general feeling is on the level of equipment hired and paid for in advance. Typically if there's a Gold, Silver, Bronze type set up I would book Silver but on a couple of occasions a tight pal of mine who would book 'Coal' if it were available would ask for and get the same skis as me having booked Bronze. Do the shops pay a great amount of attention to what you've originally selected if you know enough to be selecting the brand/model that you want?

Thanks,

Bendy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
50/50, we've had the same experience, but also seen sizeable differences in other stores. The problem with 'coal' ime is that if you don't like the pre-selected set and want to change them for something else it is always a very expensive "upgrade". With silver and gold you tend to be able to insist they issue something reasonable from the middle shelves Smile
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
a.j. wrote:
50/50, we've had the same experience, but also seen sizeable differences in other stores. The problem with 'coal' ime is that if you don't like the pre-selected set and want to change them for something else it is always a very expensive "upgrade". With silver and gold you tend to be able to insist they issue something reasonable from the middle shelves Smile

Yeah, makes sense. Personally I've never had a complaint with the gear I got on Silver so if it's not broken.....
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Unfortunately I think it's all very fluid and largely dependent on what they have in and whether they like the cut of your jib but generally choice and quality increases with price paid. I hate hiring because I always get the "he can't ski" look, and then often have to work hard to get something appropriate. If I can get some other discount I prefer not to prepay so they feel obliged to work at selling it.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yep I am the same always go for one up on th basics, so normally called silver. We only hire skis anyway and I have never had a problem with skiing on what ever I have been given.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Ben Dover, you may find that the difference between say, silver and bronze, is also age and use of the ski, not just model and brand.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Good points, I have my own boots so it's always only skis I get. I keep thinking of buying skis but they seem such a hassle to transport plus the cost of transport is almost the same as hiring!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We have never pre-booked and usually wander round seeing what all the shops have available. They generally work very hard to get your business and offer a good discount.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ski transport costs and hire costs of decent quality gear are in no way comparable................
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Ski transport costs and hire costs of decent quality gear are in no way comparable................

so does that say hire or better to buy?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I feel the same as the OP, one site I looked at for example had about five ski hire packages with about six ski options in each package, anyway can anyone tell me what is the differance between a Rossignal pursuit SMU and a Rossignal Experience 78x as i need to hire something for next week. It would be nice to have a sticky where fellow snowheads could give their opinions on hire skis, how they handle ect as it is difficult to find reviews of hire ski's.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ymh, it doesn't matter what you pick online in my experience Wink
Caravanskier - I have very rarely managed to match a pre-booked discount in France, mostly I struggle to even get 20% instore. Do you speak good french? Go to smaller resorts? Or know some handy tricks I can steal?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Last year I was booked the cheapest ski deal online from a shop in VT (long story.... there were a few of us) After day two I went back to the shop and asked iof I could exchange my skis for some slightly longer and fatter. They said "Oui, dim probs." So I left with a lovely pair of all mountain skis for no extra charge. They would have cost considerably more if I had booked them in the first place. Result.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
a.j., you could try saying you tried to book online but the site/transaction/credit card didn't work, so can they please try and get as close as possible to the internet discount etc etc. The sites are normally run by some third party and so the shop won't be insulted.

Or offer them cash payment and be quite clear that you will not need a receipt.

Obviously, any pleading/negotiating will be more effective in January then at the height of the school holidays.

As for the difference in packages, I agree with under a new name - there's a good chance that a 'blue' pair of skis is just a 'red' pair that has done two seasons. Most of the networks have rules on how many seasons a pair of skis can do in their class, so after that they get bumped down a rank (or more). A few years ago the top market shops could happily declare that all skis would be replaced every season, but that's becoming rarer and rarer in these times of crisis.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Maersk wrote:

Transport = €60, hire = €80.... Pretty comparable in my book. That doesn't take into consideration, hassle, depreciation, upkeep etc.
latest report
Quote:

Maersk wrote:

Transport = €60, hire = €80.... Pretty comparable in my book. That doesn't take into consideration, hassle, depreciation, upkeep etc.

I always hire and really cant see me ever buying. I always book online and opt for the highest level although i do some research before i go to establish which shops have the range of ski's i want. By having top models they are usually this seasons ski's and the shop will almost always allow you to change ski's and leave overnight for a free wax and edge if needed.
Just had a week in lesarc and had Movement Jam's (cost £600ish with Griffin bindings) for a week and took back midweek for overnight edge and wax for £80.92 - Looked like they had only had 2 hours use when i picked them up. Other half had a brand new pair of Atomic GS race ski's for 2 days and then changed for Movement Tattoo and these were also brand new for £80.92.
Just cant see the logic in buying ski's when you can get that type of service. Although i may have a different view if shop has cruddy ski's and limited choice(like i did encounter some years ago with intersport in Ischgl rolling eyes )
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy