Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Bansko Bulgaria

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hey fello ski folk.

Ive never done bulgaria but looks ok from the photos.

Just looking for a steer in the right direction , im looking to go Feb 26th with my son 10.

All we want is enough space to last the week, are there enough runs, would it be similar to andorra which was ok but a little small for us.

cheers in advance
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If andorra was small for you then Bulgaria will not be a step up, add how busy it is into the equation and if I were you I would be looking at Italy or Austria. Still possible to do on a small budget but obviously not as cheap as Bulgaria.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Bansko has about 75km of slopes, for all types of skiers. There is a long "ski-road" (as they call it) getting from the gondola top station to the resort.

The bottleneck is the gondola - the only connection between the resort and the ski domain. Once you reach top station of the gondola there are more lifts and the lift waiting line are not to be afraid of.
I advice you to be at the gondola as early in the morning as possible - I reckon they start at 0830 (not sure...) Anyway if you want to avoid waiting in the line better be there closer to their starting hour. They also run a shuttle minibus to the gondola top station - to take some crowd from the gondola line.

I've been there every season of the last four years, and will continue to visit Bansko (it is just 500km drive from where I live - Romania). There are many people coming from England to ski there. Although not everybody is fluent in English, you will manage to get around.

There are some nice restaurants serving traditional Bulgarian food - not the lightest meal of them all Smile If you're interested I can give you some hints. Food is overpriced on up on the mountain, but really good value in town (if you steer away from the obvious tourist "traps").

If you are only piste skiing, it may run a little small for you. If you fancy also off-piste skiing, there is very nice terrain.

Accommodation caters for everyone, from apartments to 5star hotel Kempinski. I can also send you some info on this if interested.

I always stay at White Lavina http://www.lavina.bg/Home_en.html
They are very nice people, have lots of experience with foreign tourists and they speak English
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks very much for taking the time to reply.

It more about my 10 year old getting the confidence , so I'm sure from your description it will do the job.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Contact the guys in Lavina Lodge (link above) as they are linked with OXO ski school. Ask about Andi or about Maya, tell that Alex send you, or you may drop a line to andi@oxo.bg I skied with them each time I've been there. They organize children ski / snowboard camps and know how to work with kids. I have also seen British children returning to ski / train with them with good results.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Anyone has been to Lion Hotel 4*, Bansko? We were going to KAtarino Spa 4 years in row, in Razlog, so decided this time to stay closer to Bansko centre. I am looking for hotel with good spa facilities, but still affordable - Lion looks ok.
Any other recommendations?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Esdel, I've never skied in Bansko but looked at property there when it was starting to boom. I decided immediately not to buy when I visited and saw the amount of accommodation being served by the one gondola. They have been promising a second for at least 5 years but don't hold your breath. There were other factors in my decision but the gondola was the biggy.

This was confirmed 2 seasons ago when some beginner friends went on their first ever ski trip and reported a minimum wait of an hour each day and that was in January. Sure you can be there early but would this be suitable for your son. It's not much fun.

The area looks fine once you're up there but it's a big negative in my book.

As mentioned above there are still good value trips to be had in Austria etc. I'd definitely look there. By the way where did you ski in Andorra. The Grandvalira is a pretty big and varied area best suited to intermediates looking for nice cruising.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy