Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ladies boots for larger calves

Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys,

The wife and I had another week in Bulgaria and after the wife trying on 6 different pairs of boots and never being satisfied, we have decided to buy our own boots. trouble is she has larger calves and struggles to find comfortable boots are there any brands our models we should look at for her first intermediate boots in the £200 region?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Spankone, there are things bootfitters can do to help with that. The right boot will depend on lots of things, other than the wide calves. If you live in the south, I'd suggest you contact Colin at solutions4feet, who has many satisfied customers on snowheads. http://www.solutions4feet.co.uk/

other recommendations for bootfitters will be forthcoming too, I'm sure, but nobody can sensibly prescribe a specific boot on the internet.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I didn't know if some brands are know for larger sizing or fitting characteristics. like Italian shoes are small american clothes tend to be larger etc.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Spankone, the most important bit is getting the foot shape as close as possible then dealing with the calf, there are a number of things that can help
heel lifts (if applicable)
move the buckle tooth plates
re position the buckles
change the liner to a custom one
cut material from the boot shell (getting extreme here)

in the 25+ years of doing this not had someone that we can't get the boot adjusted for a larger calf.... if you measure around the calf at approx 11" from the floor and use the following as a guestimate.... 14" positively average, 16" still no worries, 17" move buckle tooth plates, 18" probably change liners to heat formed compression type, 20" liners changed + buckles moved, 22" biggest i have done and it needed extensive work... the owner came back last season having lost a significant amount of weight (7-8st) and wanted the boot making tighter in the calves
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
that's reassuring, thanks CEM
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

22" biggest i have done and it needed extensive work... the owner came back last season having lost a significant amount of weight (7-8st) and wanted the boot making tighter in the calves

Shocked
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pam w wrote:
Quote:

22" biggest i have done and it needed extensive work... the owner came back last season having lost a significant amount of weight (7-8st) and wanted the boot making tighter in the calves

Shocked

Apparently was married to a geezer called Simon, think he was a mathemetician
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Spankone - what's large? Mine are 17 1/2 I think and I have no problems in modern boots once a kindly fitter has ripped out a few bits I don't need and added a heel lift Wink Rentals were always a pain but buying was fine.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I have problems with all boots that I try to buy inc. ski boots, yet I wouldn't think I was so unusual with a 17" calf. If the OP is similar then I can say that it is possible to buy an off the shelf boot with the help of a boot fitter. I was fitted with a Head 8.8 a small heel lift and all was fine.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Had to get the tape measure out, 22" is the biggest part of my thigh at rest, fair play to get that in a ski boot.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
they're all rushing for the tape measure now. I think my legs are very average size - calves 11" above the floor 13.1 Getting 22" into a ski boot is, indeed, deeply impressive!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pam w wrote:
they're all rushing for the tape measure now. I think my legs are very average size - calves 11" above the floor 13.1 Getting 22" into a ski boot is, indeed, deeply impressive!
believe me it was a struggle.... and to cap it off the said client arrived for their saturday morning appointment and had forgotten to mention the excessive calf size when they were asked of any problems during taking the booking
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
pam w wrote:

Yep you are right Happy 12.5 over my jeans, and gosh that is errrr impressive.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mind you, I've just re-read the thread, CEM, is right when he says it might only need to be 11" off of the ground - I've just tried it and of course is below the widest part of the leg - so there I am <15" over jeans, perhaps this is why I didn't have so much problems with mine.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Megamum, Yep my first instinct was to measure the widest part then I checked and realised 11" was lower.
snow report
CEM, I think Kitty can beat that, she had to find a pair of boots for a guy on a lesson with her that also had to accommodate his Curfew Tag. Laughing
ski holidays
Spyderman, Laughing

Presuming this was in UK fridge?...
latest report
marmotte16, At Hemel when it was still Plastic.
snow report
Spyderman, bloomin' uncomfortable I would think regardless of size of boot. Ah well, best not to go looking for a tag then Toofy Grin
latest report
Am I right in thinking that ladies calves are lower down and so are the cuff of the ski boots?
latest report
Spankone, Female calf muscles are much closer to their heels than Men.
latest report
Spankone, the (average) womans calf muscle is a little lower and wider where as the (average) male calf muscle sits a little higher on the leg and is a bit more tapered, most womens boots have a slightly lower cuff (unless they are performance boots) and often they have the facility to be flared back a little
snow report
Spankone, Echo CEM, last post, my boots had to be flared a little.
snow conditions
Quote:

Kitty can beat that, she had to find a pair of boots for a guy on a lesson with her that also had to accommodate his Curfew Tag

Laughing
ski holidays
Quote:

the (average) womans calf muscle is a little lower and wider where as the (average) male calf muscle sits a little higher on the leg and is a bit more tapered

Well, they say you learn something new every day! Laughing
snow conditions
This thread has nearly cost me my marriage.

I had to explain to my wife when she came home from work, why i was next to the computer with a tape measure in my hands.

"Yeah yeah, measuring your calf muscle" rolling eyes
ski holidays
Spyderman wrote:

And so are all female muscles, on average. wink
ski holidays
Spankone, in case you're nowhere near Bicester or just want to try off the shelf options, my OH has similar, er, challenges, especially with relatively small feet for her height, and she found some Nordica's that did the job. You won't find the same model but I believe they tend to use the same mould (or last or whatever the technical term is) year in year out, so might be worth a look.

[Braced for flaming from CEM Smile ]
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Timbobaggins, Laughing Laughing Laughing

andyph, wimmin's legs different shape, not just shorter. And CEM doesn't do flaming. wink
snow conditions
andyph, i don't do flaming, but other than their race mould all the nordica lasts changed a couple of years back, might work but then again it might not
latest report
CEM,
Do you recommend any boot fitter in morzine?
We are not able to get to you before feb 1 when we are travelling.
Did you see the thread entitled' an intractable ski problem'?
Can you suggest anything?
ski holidays
andyph wrote:
Spyderman wrote:

And so are all female muscles, on average. wink

Especially in the case of girls wearing 7 inch heels Wink

latest report
Remember girls, always wear knee high boots in ski resorts.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy