Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Marker F12 - Release Problem?!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
My girlfriend has been skiing on her (formerly my) Marker f12s for about 6 days now and we have been noticing she is vertically ejecting quite easily, at first it wasn't too bad then last time she ejected 5 times, 1 was a little sketchy, 3 for almost no reason at all, 1 time just traversing!

I checked the set-up, forward pressure etc. then got a guy in the shop to check it.

Knocked the DIN up one to 8,

Released again!

Checked the boots for snow a couple of times (though not extremely throughly i admit) there certainly wasn't anything huge on the boot.

Released again!

Then got the binding release tested by one of those fancy machines and still all was normal (even sometimes a bit harder than normal)

Does anyone have any advice, experience tips about this? Pretty worried as she really hurt herself last time and doesn't trust the binding anymore, if i stick her on them again and she properly gets hurt i will be in a world of pain also !!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Have some f10's. not had any issue with them but find you really need to make sure all the snow is off the boot. Unless I get a reassuring clunk when I put my boot in I try again as it often looks like the boot is in the binding properly but I don't think it is. Hope this helps.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
dulcamara, my OH has F10's and no issues, I'd suggest you get them checked out sounds strange
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
By vertically I assume you mean releasing out of the heel? Assuming forward pressure & the manual toe height adjustment is correct (use a 0.5mm feeler gauge/business card/MaccyD's coffee cup voucher & 'lever' the toe lug up in to the toe binding before you test) & there's no icing on the boot I'd look closely at the boot lugs for excessive wear - the toe should be 19mm high & the heel 30mm. Also check for burrs on the lugs (especially on the heel for a vertical release) as they're common on that whole family of Marker bindings as they run a lot of forward pressure.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Couldn't have said it better Jon wink
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Ok, I've checked and re-checked the set up, looking at it there is about 2 cm of movement in the heel piece before that plasticky click noise and it opens properly, it looks like the boots can come out before the click, how could I hold them in until after they open properly?

For info these are nordica dobermann 110s not touring boots!

Please help, really don't want to have to buy new bindings!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
As phatchick said make sure the binding is properly closed - this is a problem on all Markers with this type of heal. It is possible to step most of the way in and ski quite normaly then the ski just falls off.

I have some early (think pre production) F10's with 150+ days on them and no problems if I make sure the heal is closed correctly.

If in doubt pull up on the heal lever to make sure it's all the way closed
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

it looks like the boots can come out before the click

Are the boots worn out at the heel perhaps? If you move it by hand even a few mm I'd be worried, 2cm sounds like a heck of lot of travel before a release.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
dulcamara wrote:
Ok, I've checked and re-checked the set up, looking at it there is about 2 cm of movement in the heel piece before that plasticky click noise and it opens properly, it looks like the boots can come out before the click, how could I hold them in until after they open properly?

For info these are nordica dobermann 110s not touring boots!

Please help, really don't want to have to buy new bindings!

I've no idea what you're describing. Do you mean vertical movement of the heel or fore/aft? If vertical (which I think you mean) how are you activating this? ie are you pulling the boot vertically out of the binding or are you pushing down on the heel lever?

Please confirm that when the boot's installed with a 0.5mm feeler gauge/business card between the boot & the AFD that it requires a firm smooth pull on the gauge to remove it & that the head of the forward pressure screw is flush with the face of the surrounding housing. Then confirm that the boot lugs are burr free, have no excessive wear & measure as detailed in my post above. If these are all ok then email some pics with the boot in the binding - one side on & from end on from behind the heel binding.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Sorry for not replying, been in Montafon for the past week, girlfriend did not use the skis at all, mostly i think, out of mistrust.

I do mean the vertical release of the heel, the issue seems to be that just standing on the skis and leaning forward causes the heel piece to start to open, it doesn't snap completely open but it opens a little allowing the heel to rise by about 1 cm, is this normal? it seems as though in a hard bump the boot might eject pematurely?

The Bindings are near markless, boots, lugs, everything is in good condition and burr free, the forward pressure is perfect, 0.5 mm under the toe all appears to be well.

I am still open to the idea there was some hidden ice in there somewhere, but this pre-release movement has me a little worried, it certainly doesn't seem to be the same with my barons!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Sorry to re-activate this thread, but came into it, looking for issues with Marker F12.
Last year I bought a pair of second hand Volkl Kenja ski with Marker F12 bindings.
Since beginning I have exactly the same issue described here, on both bindings.
They have been checked also by a professional skiman but he also didn't understand the reason of the movement of the heel.
All the other settings are ok (screw on line, piece of paper removable with a few force from the toes and so on..).
He told me that next week he will try to contact Marker where he has some contacts to hear their opinion....
If heel screw is set on 5.5 (that should be my setting and it's the one of the toe), as soon I push forward, the heels move up and down with the lever of a couple of cm, even if without release actually.
But once while skiing strong I've been ejected unexpectedly so I had to increase the heel to 8 (80 kg where I am 56..) to have a minimum stable heel but this makes very difficult then to close and open the binding and I am worry that they won't release when they should.
A friend of mine also mentioned that on this kind of bindings there is a sort of temporary lock, and that I should push harder when locking them to make sure they are closed properly...otherwise they stay as temporary, but then I never managed to close them properly...
I am really distrusted now of the bindings and don't know what to do.
Any idea?
@dulcamara, what did you do in the end? Did you discover the issue?
Thanks in advance for the help
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy