Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Arabba info

Poster: A snowHead
Contemplating a DIY trip in January. Just me and Mrs L. We've passed through in both Sella Ronda directions when based in Selva a couple of years back, so I'm vaguely familiar with the ski area. The weather was a bit cr@p though, so we were never able to savour the famed Dolomite scenery.

Any hotel recommendations? Good food a must, reasonable room size, and short walk to a lift (or ski-in/out). Midweek to midweek would be good, so I can get BA rewards seats. I had trouble with that in Selva, but did find somewhere.

I think I'll hire a car. Last time I spent a fortune on a private transfer from Innsbruck. Any thoughts on Innsbruck vs Venice vs Verona? I imagine more likelihood of getting a properly 'winterised' car by default in Innsbruck, but perhaps there's some difficulty with taking a car cross-border, e.g. are any permits required for Italian motorways?

Thanks for any help!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Tolls for Brenner pass and motorway in Italy as well as needing vignette for Austria
Have driven there from Munich in the summer and by bus from Innsbruck in winter
Not sure I would choose to drive in the winter it would be ok in good weather but not a nice drive in bad weather on the passes to Arabba
We stayed in the Olimpia when we skied there a bit of a walk but they had a good ski room at the bottom of the slopes
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
laundryman, As you may or may not be aware, the Snowheads Birthday Bash has been held in Arabba for the last few years, using the Hotel Portavescovo which is very close to the lifts, and the food is excellent.

If you do fly into Venice, for information there is a low cost coach transfer service dolomitistars which it says runs on Thursdays (as well as Saturday and Sunday).
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Can't get closer to the lifts that the PV. Ski right back in to the boot room if it's snowy enough Smile snowHead

Shouldn't be a problem taking car cross-border, plus I expect it'll come with the Austrian vignette anyway. Toll is something like €8 each way for the Brenner Pass then about €2 more for the Autostrada.
Arabba means going up over 1 pass, which I managed OK with just Conti all season tyres, but it's also the lowest of the Sella Ronda Passes. If you're really concerned about that, then Arabba via Venice may be more sensible (probably not winterised car?), or Selva or Corvara from Innsbruck. Corvara is only 3 pistes from Arabba.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
andy wrote:
Can't get closer to the lifts that the PV. Ski right back in to the boot room if it's snowy enough Smile snowHead

Beg to pedantically differ, but you can - Hotel Mesdi - a mere 10 yards to the chairlift - v a massive lung-bursting 100 yards from the PV wink

One thing to watch out for re car hire is to ensure it is full with/gets filled with the winter fuel. Got caught badly out from Venice once with car clearly (given what happened next) being filled with regular rather than winter fuel - at end of holiday car had to be towed and heated through before twould go... Key is - once you get into mountain area top it up with petrol as up there all the fuel will be winter fuel, and try to park it under cover.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
laundryman, just PAYG tolls for Italian motorways.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If you want to go posher than PV the Sporthotel has very nice food...Had one meal there last year... with a few other snowHead 's http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g580234-d532370-Reviews-Sporthotel_Arabba-Arabba_Livinallongo_del_Col_di_Lana_Province_of_Belluno_Veneto.html
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks folks; I'll investigate the Potovescoso and the Sporthotel and it looks like Innsbruck might be the best bet for a car. snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hotels Mesdi and Malita are both nice. I've stayed in both. Mesdi a bit more upmarket and literally on the slopes about 1 minute from the lift; Malita about 5 minutes from lifts. Rooms very comfortable and well appointed in both and food excellent in both with the Mesdi a bit more gastronomic in style
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Distance and time wise, Innsbruck is your best bet if hiring a car. Just make sure to take the route via Alta Badia (Brunico, La Villa, Corvara).
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Can anyone point me at a schedule for bus transfers to Arabba ?
Don't mind which airport really, Venice MP could work.
Not having much luck finding anything concrete.
(planning trip for mar 16 - 24)
Thanks
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
You want the Dolomiti bus website. I also found this timetable: http://www.arabba.it/includes/tng/pub/tNG_download4.php?page_id=1220&lang_id=3&id_def_download=Array&lang=EN&language=EN&KT_download1=2ece6e88db7a14f26a5f9ad0eaaf8476

There used to be a bus from the airport direct but not sure if it still runs. The diolomiti Stars website makes a reference to it but provides no other info.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
essex, the website says the transfer service is due to resume this season.

http://dolomitistars.dolomiti.org/index.cfm/transfer/

You have to stay in one of the dolomitistars affiliated hotels to use it though.[/url]

I thought it was also worth a mention on here for Arabba regulars that a new chairlift is being introduced for this season on the Porta Vescovo side. I'm not sure but would imagine that this may mean avoiding the cable car if doing the Sella Ronda in a clockwise direction although I think it will mean taking the two person chair next to the cable car station, first.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151004806865259.485590.161712915258&type=1

http://www.snowalps.com/ski/arabbamarmolada/news/arabba-2012-2013-nuova-seggiovia-carpazza-a-porta-vescovo

http://www.dolomitisuperski.com/en-US/2612-News_listEN.html?idblocknews=10631&alias=home.athx&redirectaliaspage=newslist.athx
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks everyone, guess I'll have to wait for this years scheds. Last year's suggests they had a 12.00 and a 21.30.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Think the dolomitistars went live around the first week of October last year, so I'd guess it will go live again "any day now".

Hmmm - saw "new chair" and thought yay - the missing chair across town. Shame it's not that. Maybe one day it will happen.
latest report
http://dolomitistars.dolomiti.org/index.cfm/transfer/

looks like they are working on publishing the 2012/13 bus schedules.
link now gets a coldfusion error page.
last week it was still showing the 2011/12 schedules
ski holidays
Ahh the famous chair lift project across town in Arabba. At the moment the project is called "Arabba Fly" and is only on the drawingboard. Back to you question regarding transfers and hotels in Arabba. Transfers are cheap with dolomitistars but only run on saturdays and sundays. You could book you hotel throug some touroperaters for cheaper transfers. Colletts or www.simplydolomiti.com and then you get skiguiding included.

The Portavescovo is almost ski in/out and is an average hotel. The Sporthotel is better and is almost on the run as well. They have a really nice bar/lounge area with livemusic.
snow report
Cesa Padon is a lovely Hotel with fabulous food and 2/3 the price it would be in Arabba, but it is ten minutes drive from the village. No good unless you have transport.
snow conditions
Could I also recommend the Hotel Alpenrose in Arabba. Lovely hotel with great food. Located at the top end of the resort, but you can ski in and out. We use Taxi Vico for transfers. Not cheap, but good and reliable.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy