Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help...pooping my pants!

Poster: A snowHead
Skivirgin77, Not to try an put you off, but (shamelessly copied from elsewhere)

Quote:

Skiers' Checklist

Ski season is here. The following is a list of exercises is to help you prepare:

Tie a cinder block to each foot and climb a flight of stairs.

Sit on the outside of a fourth-story window ledge with your skis on and your poles in your lap for at least 30 minutes.

Bind your legs together at the ankles, lie flat on the floor; then, holding a banana in each hand, get to your feet.

Visit your local butcher and pay £75 to sit in the walk-in freezer for a few hours. Afterwards, burn two £50 dollar notes to warm up.

Soak your gloves in water and store them in the freezer after every use.

Fasten a small, wide rubber band around the top half of your head before you go to bed each night.

If you wear glasses, begin wearing them with glue smeared on the lenses.

Throw away a £50 note - now.

Find the nearest ice rink and walk across the ice 20 times in your ski boots carrying two pairs of skis, accessory bag and poles. Pretend you are looking for your car.

Sporadically drop things.

Place a small but angular pebble in your shoes, line them with crushed ice,and then tighten a C-clamp around your toes.

Buy a new pair of gloves and immediately throw one away.

Secure one of your ankles to a bed post and ask a friend to run into you at high speed.

Go to McDonald's and insist on paying $8.50 for a hamburger. Be sure you are in the longest line.

Clip a lift ticket to the zipper of your jacket and ride a motorcycle fast enough to make the ticket lacerate your face.

Drive slowly for five hours - anywhere - as long as it's in a snowstorm and you're following an 18 wheeler.

Fill a blender with ice, hit the pulse button and let the spray blast your face. Leave the ice on your face until it melts. Let it drip into your clothes.

Dress up in as many clothes as you can and then proceed to take them off because you have to go to the bathroom.

Slam your thumb in a car door. Don't go see a doctor.

Repeat all of the above every Saturday and Sunday until it's time for the real thing.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
alex_heney, Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Skivirgin77, Don't worry I'm sure you'll be fine. Just DON'T get that Boyfriend of yours to teach you anything, he's almost certainly not as good a skier as he thinks he is and he probably wears yellow salopettes.Shocked If you're lucky he may have a mate who can show you the ropes. wink

P.S. I'll be picking you up at 2.00 AM. Don't want to miss the plane so make sure you get his lazy ass out of the bed cos we've got some serious drinking to do. NehNeh
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
alex_heney, I take it you have read The Skier's Dictionary by Henry Beard and Roy McKie? It is a must-read for all skiers and I have the UK and US editions NehNeh
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Skivirgin77,

You'll be fine.

I did a learn to ski in a day course at Hemel and it was excellent, so you've made a good decision there. On arrival I remember seeing the main and nursery slopes and thinking that if I could get from halfway down the nursery slope by the end of the day, I'd be thrilled; in practice me and 75% of my class were all able to get down the main slope, turning and stopping as necessary. In all honestly, we were all awful, but nonetheless I left with a great sense of achievement and knowing you can turn, stop, etc. is a real help when you arrive in the resort for real.

Two random memories. First, sidestepping up a hill (i.e. walking up it sideways in skis) is very hard work and when you are learning, this stage seems to go on forever (actually about 2 hours, if I recall my day at Hemel correctly). Stick with it!

Secondly, I remember being delighted to find that, unlike ice skates, it's really very easy to stop on skis, virtually from the outset. Great confidence boost, as you know things aren't going to run away with you!

Overall, a day spent in lessons at Hemel is a great start and overall when you get to the mountains I'm sure you'll love skiing as much as me and my family do, so have fun!

chemistry
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Skivirgin77,

As a complete beginner, you should also check out the legend that is Kevin.

Be reassured that, however terrified you are of the thought of learning to ski and bad you think you might be at it, there is no possible way you'll be anywhere near as bad as him!

http://youtube.com/v/pzAn3RYpazk

I still can't watch Kevin's antics without fits of the giggles and think he should be made the patron saint of all first time skiers...

chemistry
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Laughing

At 3.12 we can perhaps see where Cuche got his first idea for the helicopter dismount.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Some great advice . I would add .-
See if a Gym near your does a ski specific class . Its hard to replicate the muscle burn without knowing the feeling beforehand.

Stop the low carb diet . You need to burn carbs to allow you to work out harder now to build up endurance

Stretch more than ever , warm up before hand , and stretch after skiing . Try an Aspirin to help move lactic ( alledgedly ) or feet up in the air whilst lying on back.

If no gym available try 1 legged knee drops , with eyes shut . Stand on 1 leg and lower yourself 30 cm , hold , and then stand up , but keep knee bent . Repeat lots .If you can do it with your eyes closed the ensueing wobble will strengthen ankle and knee a little . But the quad gets a good workout , and you can do it whilst waiting for the kettle to boil.

Your ski boots shouldnt hurt . Seriously consider a helmet

Dont wear a nice clean white jacket and salopettes . You do not want to be snow camoflaged on a busy piste in flat light .

ABove all enjoy yourself. Its exhillarating and a great way to beat SAD if you suffer.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
chemistry wrote:

I still can't watch Kevin's antics without fits of the giggles and think he should be made the patron saint of all first time skiers...

Haha he looks like Kenny Everett's DIY-man character!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

feet up in the air whilst lying on back

une partie de jambes en l'air - standard apres I think?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Skivirgin77, Skivirgin77,

Great post!

me and my girlfriend are skiing virgins too and booked a week with UPCA with lessons included.

i wanted to go to Hemel Hempstead and get ahead of the game, however looking at their website will need a mortgage for what they want!

have you booked the all in one course ?

need to call up because they make it seem like you will spend a whole lesson learning how to put on and take off the ski's Shock
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Skivirgin77, Skivirgin77,

Great post!

me and my girlfriend are skiing virgins too and booked a week with UPCA with lessons included.

i wanted to go to Hemel Hempstead and get ahead of the game, however looking at their website will need a mortgage for what they want!

have you booked the all in one course ?

need to call up because they make it seem like you will spend a whole lesson learning how to put on and take off the ski's Shock
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Best thing you can do at this point is get as fit as possible doing ski specifc exercises as suggested above. The rest is a bonus but if you don't get fit, the rest won't mean much. It's like trying to swim the channel - you can get as technically perfect at swimming as humanly possible but you'll splutter to a halt after a mile if you aren't fit enough.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Dont wear a nice clean white jacket and salopettes

In fact, don't wear salopettes at all, as they are hideously '80s and very inconvenient when you want to go for a wee. 'Salopette' is just French for dungarees or overalls, meaning those silly trousers with bibs which everyone used to think were such a good idea. Presumably this was prior to the invention of the snowskirt.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Skivirgin77, Welcome snowHead

If it's yet more comfort/reassurance for you, I've just returned from my own holiday with friends and family, including my complete beginner friend, who is the other side of 50.....she booked group lessons, was very nervous but headed out and absolutely loved it! She's now trying to organise a short break before the end of the season so she can build on her skills in order to ski with the rest of us next time! You're doing all the right prep so you'll have a ball Very Happy
ski holidays
Thanks for the video Chemistry, really made me laugh. Hope I'm not that bad!!!

Thanks for the post Corky, see you at 2am lol...Mick might be having words with you before then mind hahaha! wink
snow conditions
Skivirgin77,

Glad you liked the Kevin footage; you almost certainly won't be anywhere near that bad BUT hopefully you'll have that many laughs during you first week learning to ski! Very Happy So much opportunity for hilarious moments!

Enjoy your day at Hemel on the 7th. It should be great fun - let us know how you get on.

chemistry
snow report
Thanks Chemistry...I will indeed!! Smile
ski holidays
Hi ladtalk....I have booked the one day group lesson for £150. This does include the first hour going over health and safety as well as slope etiquette AND learning how to put on ur skis etc. But the rest of the day is on the slopes...about 5 hours skiing and lunch is also included so all in all not bad I'd say! I'm going on Thursday so I shall let you know first hand what it's like...and how I got on! Gulp!! Shocked
latest report
Skivirgin77, the "in a day" courses can be quite demanding. It sounds as though you're young enough and fit enough to get a lot out of it. You may or may not not learn to ski (I didn't) but you will get the hang of the equipment. Banish the BF to the main slope or the bar if you get self-conscious.

Whether you follow the BF in the afternoons when you're away is entirely up to you. I would suggest that you start off on the slopes that you've done in lessons so that he can get an understanding of what progress you've made. If you're the sort of person who thrives off a challenge and you trust him not to take you anywhere he shouldn't then skiing with him will do you some good. Some of the people I've seen progress fastest have been trying to improve their skiing so that they can keep up with either their partner or a close relative.

On the other hand do not agree to do anything you're not 100% comfortable with. If you end up out too far out of your comfort zone you will lose confidence.

It sounds like you're doing all the right things. Hopefully you'll get the bug on your first trip and you will have many more ski holidays.
snow report
RichardB wrote:
Skivirgin77, whatever you do, don't get talked into skiing back down to Ischgl! Its all red runs and get very icy and bumpy in the afternoon.

Ischgl is a nice place, if a bit expensive, I'm sure you'll have a good time.

agreed, the home run is horrible I was there for 2 weeks and skied it once, I quite enjoyed sitting in the gondola in the way down watching everyone else slide down the run sideways every other day.
snow report
Well here it goes folks...on my way to Hemel Shocked
snow conditions
Skivirgin77, hope it goes well and you enjoy it.
snow report
Skivirgin77, Good luck Anna, no backing out from here.
ski holidays
Well I made it...more bruises than I care to mention! I spent a lot of time on my butt but had a good laugh! It's a weird mix of emotions at the moment as I enjoyed the experience but disappointed that I didn't nail it! Soooo much to remember to do all at once lol...but I managed a couple of good runs which I'm pleased about. Will sleep tonight that's for sure...used muscles I didn't even know I had!!! However, I'm chuffed that I didn't have any burning in the thighs so the gym is obviously working Smile

Hemel has a great set up and the instructor was very good...would defo recommend it! No waiting for lifts etc...it got a bit busy after lunch but the instructor soon cleared us a spot and kept us constantly moving.
All in all a great day but tiring and I'm sooooo glad I've booked into ski school while I'm out there though! Very Happy

Thanks for all your support guys!! Very Happy
latest report
Quote:

disappointed that I didn't nail it!

you can't expect to nail it on your first day! Or your first week, come to that, but it's exhilarating because you will make fast progress, and it's much more fun out on a real mountain.
snow report
Skivirgin77 wrote:
I managed a couple of good runs which I'm pleased about.

Yay! Well done! Very Happy
Skivirgin77 wrote:
Thanks for all your support guys!! Very Happy

You're very welcome Very Happy

Have fun in the mountains. The views are quite a bit better than Hemel and the runs are a bit longer.
ski holidays
dupes wrote:
Some great advice . I would add .-
See if a Gym near your does a ski specific class . Its hard to replicate the muscle burn without knowing the feeling beforehand.

Spinning, spin classes are almost everywhere nowadays and are definitely capable of replicating the burn!

Glad the lessons went well skivirgin, welcome to our world wink
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy