Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

British guy needs colorado rockies resort help please

Poster: A snowHead
Hi Guys
British guy here, planning on a weeks skiing in the rocky mountain area colorado, first week in april. Have no idea which resort to try, have been reccomended winterpark or steamboat. Any advise or reccomendations for a good all round resort would be appreciated. I will need to hire all theequipment there also, and take some lessons, as I this will be my first time skiing, and my son who will be with me is a novice with one skiing trip previously.
cheers all in advance
John
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi
I have skied both resorts mentioned and enjoyed a lot. However I would have a few reservations in that it will be a significant expense, and as it is your first time skiing it is unlikely you will utilise a lot of the mountain. Lift passes are fairly expensive relative to europe. There are many on here who can give plenty of advise on the majority of the resorts, and aspects as hiring and lessons. If you are in the uk and it is your first trip would you consider europe?
All the best sean
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi Sean
yep i know what you mean, but I am in the states anyway then so will use my spare time to go skiing there whislt there anyway
cheers
John
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Stick with i-70 as there are loads of resorts next the main road.

The junction before the Eisenhower is Loveland and Arapahoe. After the Tunnel you have Keystone and Breckenridge. Another juction is Copper Mountain. Further along is Vail and then Breaver Creek.

You drive one hell of a long way just for Steamboat. WinterPark is closer but on its own though.

i-70 is also good for Aspen one of the crown jewels of the American resorts.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
nothing beats a motorway in a ski resort
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I'd give Keystone a go. There are three mountains of basically increasing difficulty, but the first of the three is fairly simple, and my kids learned on it very quickly.
There is a very nice long green, the sort of gradient and width beginners absolutely love, and (as with other resorts in the US) the beginner area is roped off and watched by piste patrol.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
johnnyboy967,

Welcome to snowHead

Just back from Winter Park.

It's convenient for Denver (shortest transfer from the airport) and has a good range of beginner trails and a highly recommended ski school. I'd have thought it would be fine for a week, and for an introduction to this wonderful sport. You won't graduate to its more advanced terrain, but that will be something to look forward to.

The downside of WP is its comparative isolation (from anything). There's only a comparatively limited village at the resort base, and the ski area is a bus ride from "downtown" Winter Park (blink and you'll miss it), so you won't get a typical ski resort apres ski atmosphere (if that's what floats your boat).

Remember also that most resorts in Colorado are at altitude (WP base is about 9000 ft) and that this can make for uncomfortable nights if you don't acclimatise quickly.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
hobbiteater wrote:
nothing beats a motorway in a ski resort
Not with 18 wheels and 40 tones it doesn't as you slither past on polished grey ice Evil or Very Mad
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I seconded a recommendation for Frisco in this thread:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=96667&highlight=

Could maybe get there from Denver in under 2 hours?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
+1 for Winter Park and Loveland . . . a bit further to Frisco and use the local buses to visit hills. Hit the net for the cheapest deals on passes for shops and lots of different ways to get discounts.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
cheers all so far good info
J
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I think Copper Mountain will be good for a beginner. You can stay nearby in Frisco or for convenience at the base of the resort & be straight out for your lessons and easy to keep in contact with your son.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Just come back from Breckenridge - there are some easy greens on peak 9 but that's about it for beginner trails - however the blues (think european easy reds for the easier ones) on peak 9 have some areas on which beginners are taught (the easiest being Bonanza). It's got some great shops too. I was on blues on my second day the first time I skied in 26 years in the US- they have the great advantage that (although I have limited experience in Europe) they are much broader than most European reds so you have more room to make mistakes. The ski school there is great. Ive also skied Vail and Keystone in Colorado in recent years and don't have a great memory of Vail but Keystone is just fun!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Lechbob wrote:
I think Copper Mountain will be good for a beginner. You can stay nearby in Frisco or for convenience at the base of the resort & be straight out for your lessons and easy to keep in contact with your son.

I tend to think Copper and/or Breck would be good choices. Base elevation at Steamboat is about 6800' and it's not reputed to hold snow well in the Spring. Statistically it has one of the best early season snow records in CO but the elevation and aspect don't make it the best choice for late season. Copper has well segregated terrain and tends to have beginner terrain on far skiers left and then more difficult terrain as you move toward skiers right. No place should be real busy at that time. I really like downtown Frisco. It's an old mining town and is lined with Victorian buildings. Many shops, pubs, restaurants, but a relaxed, not very hectic feel. It's about 6 miles to Copper with good bus connections. Breck is 9-10 miles from Frisco and the efficiency of buses from Frisco to Breck will depend on where you're staying. Breckenride is a very cool town. Another old mining town with a real downtown. It's like a much bigger downtown Frisco. I've never been to Winter Park. The reputation is a fairly quiet town but there should be good terrain for you on the WP side. From Frisco you could easily also go to Keystone and Arapahoe Basin by car. A-Basis is very high and I'm not sure how much beginner terrain is available. But the elevation makes it well known for spring skiing. Though it's only January so there is lots of time, it's not been a good snow year in that part of CO.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Masque wrote:
Loveland
Please no. That place may be high and snowsure but otherwise a characterless outpost.

Vail is v good early April. Spring Back To Vail might be on, loads of good deals, busy town and bars. Or Breck, can't go too far wrong there.
latest report
Breck is a great town with loads of character, but it's ruined by a busy main road running through the downtown area. Another problem is that it's much busier than most NA resorts.

Vail is massive overkill for a beginner. Too big, too crowded, too expensive and you'd have to be a stunningly fast learner to get to the back bowls in your first week. Go back there when you have more experience.
snow report
I agree about Vail - although for a true beginner, they do a good 3 day learn to ski deal.

However, I enjoyed the night life of Breckenridge and there are some good easy slopes to be had there. Keystone will be significantly cheaper as it is a much smaller resort, but it has a nice feel to it, night skiing and a great apres bar at the bottom of the slope. It is a totally fake village though which I felt was a bit weird - unlike Breckenridge which is an old mining town with a bit of character.

Unless you are doing the Vail learn to ski package, make sure you book your ski passes in advance using some of the international visitor or pass + accommodation deals available - you can make some significant savings. And I think I saved around 60% when booking my ski hire in advance with a local shop too. Last tip - don't forget your sunscreen!
snow conditions
As a novices, just hunt for the best deal on "learn to ski" packages. That should comes with lift pass, all rental equipment and lessons.

Whichever mountain really don't come into play on week one. (ok, maybe not A-basin, it's got relatively little beginner terrain).
snow report
oh - and the Blue River Bistro in Breck does great bloody marys! $4 during Sunday brunch
ski holidays
wow - plenty to look at there then, cheers all
j
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy