Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

ski conditions in the ski welt?

Poster: A snowHead
I have looked on all the austrian weather threads but i cant find any reports of conditions on the ski welt area. Someone my husband knows has just come back from austria (dont know where) and he said they were having one of the worst winters for lack of snow. i have been keeping an eye on the forecast and it looks like its been snowing consistently. We are off on saturday
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
polo99, we've had LOADS of snow here in Innsbruck, only about an hour to the West of the SkiWelt. Further East hadn't been doing brilliantly for snow earlier in the season, but had a MASSIVE dump the other week. Your husband's mate is wrong...

No real snow due this week, bright and sunny atm, 2º at about 700 metres here, conditions should be fine!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
polo99, I'd say if anything it's above average. Do a search for a few webcams and you'll see. There's this new thing out there called GOOGLE.

http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Soll/snow-report
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
clarky999, thanks for that Clarky its good to hear direct from someone in the area or close to.

Bode Swiller, yes thanks i am well aware. There really is no need for that pedantic tone. Weather forecasts and snow reports aren't often very accurate which is the reason why i started this thread to hear from people like clarky who are in the area and look to answer questions on a public forum. Unlike the tone of your answer which i suggest if you don't have anything constructive helpful then rather than trying to make yourself look clever coz you just put me down - high five for that by the way. Its probably best to say nothing at all
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
polo99, calm down dear (in honour of the late Michael Winner) and have a great time in SkiWelt. I bothered to go get you a snow report. And you don't know what pedantic means snowHead
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
polo99, whoever it was was talking out of their behind if they were talking about ski areas! I live just 30 minutes up the road on the border between Bayern (Germany) and Tirol and believe me there is enough snow and some. More due in as well! I was snowed in at the beginning of last week and that does not happen very often (apparently the local farmer who clears my villagge decided to sleep in or something!).

It may well be that they were in Niederösterreich or Burgenland, but even they have snow at the moment! Or maybe they were jealous because you are about ot go out to the best conditions so far this season Laughing

Take a look at Bergfexhttp://www.bergfex.com/oesterreich/ for good weather reports and links to web cams. Toofy Grin
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Bl00dy h3ll polo99, cr4pped myself when I read about your husbands friend's comment. We go week after you and have been checking forecast daily. Seems they have had some good snow fall (remember they have cannons too). Im sure you will have a great hol.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Check out http://www.bergfex.com/ellmau/wetter/ and the WETTER bit in the link doesnt mean rain......I hope Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
polo99, The Skiwelt webcams don't show much of a problem:

http://www1.wilderkaiser.info/en/livecam.html

I'm off out to Soll on 2nd Feb and looking forward to some good skiing.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Jon Ford, Check the precipitation against the temperatures! Hardly liquid temperatures are they! The "rainfall" on the side of the graphic is a poor translation of Niederschlag and the % means the chances of it - so in German it is Niederschalgs-wahrscheinlichkeit = chances of precipitation!

Any forecast further ahead than 72 hours is educated guess work at best, in the mountains even more so.

Stop worrying and start looking forward to a fabulous holiday.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
thanks for your responses. My hubby really doesnt take much interest in the preparation or anything to do with skiing other than arriving in resort putting his skis in and enoying the slopes, so I wasnt surprised when i asked "well where did this bloke go in Austria" that he did not have a clue as he wouldnt have been interested enough to know. Ive just quizzed him more and apparantly this guy went to Austria for a meeting and it was the locals saying it was a bad winter for snow. I wasnt in the least bit concerned about the snow before he said this as I have been keeping an avid eye on the forecast for a while now and as far as I could tell fromthe webcams and the forecast and the facebook page they seemed to be having pretty good conditions. I started this thread because I couldnt find anywhere in the weather report section that mentioned the ski welt and was interested in peoples opinions who are either there at the minute or have just come back. I did read that the bergfex was the most accurate so have been looking at that quite regularly. Do you think it is unusually cold at the minute with temps forecast to a min of -15 degrees? Or is this the norm? I never normally check the temps, too interested in whether there is snow lol.

If I manage to get wifi when Im out on Saturday, Ill post what the slopes are like
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
polo99, I dont know what average temps for austria are, but -15 isnt cold in terms of skijng (from my experience). Ivedone -33 in lapland and -23 in france. Also, remember that is the lowest temp, so that may be at night time. You will be kitted up (I hope) so its not as bad as uk....get a few glueweins down you and you wont feel it. (Please dont quote me as im no expert....just going off my experience) Samerberg Sue, dont worry, I'll have a great time now. A lot more reassured that back in December
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Oh Im not too worried Jon, I was just curious as all the places I have been have never had one of those digital clocks up where they have the temperature up and I only really took notice of how cold it was on the forecast after someone said it was -24 in Val Disere (I think) a couple weeks back. Just wondering how many pairs of hand warmers to pack wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Actually I would say -15 is pretty cold, not exactly unusual for mid-winter, but cold enough to need to actually think about your layering (especially if windy).
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Just checkec bergfx snow forecast. I know its a week away but temps r rising to 8c on wednessy and rain fora week friday. I know things can change a lit, but hope we dont hace rain from the 2nd. See what hapoens over nxt few days
snow conditions
Quote:

Actually I would say -15 is pretty cold, not exactly unusual for mid-winter, but cold enough to need to actually think about your layering (especially if windy).

I agree, but maybe I'm a wimp.
snow report
Jon Ford, for goodness sake as well as your and our sanity, stop bloody obsessing and start thinking about enjoying your holiday. You are not going to work for a whole week, enjoy it! rolling eyes wink
ski holidays
Im not worried about the snow now as I think we are going to have a great time anyway, our last 2 trips to france it hadnt snowed one flake for 5 weeks on one holiday and 3 weeks on another and although there were some slopes that were a bit on the icy side and some places we couldnt go at all becausae it was just grass, we still had a fantastic time on the slopes that were available. The conditions seem really good at the minute, I just spoke to a Crystal rep tonight who rang me on my mobile! Shocked to see if there was anything she could help with and introduced herself to me which i was quite pleasantly surprised at, I asked her what the ski conditions were like and she told me they were great and it had been a lovely bluebird day today. So I am off to put the final touches to my packing (yeah who am I kidding, i will still be running round like a head less chicken tomorrow, but it sounded good lol) and I will try and post you when Im there. Karen
snow report
polo99, I hope you have a great time Karen - I know how much effort you put in. Sounds like you've struck lucky with the snow.
snow conditions
polo99, I'm just back from the Ski Welt and conditions are excellent with everything open. Lovely grippy pistes and only the occasional brownish patch on the lowest slopes.

Your hubbies friend was pulling his plonker wink
latest report
polo99, wow I have never heard of that before (call from Crystal rep). Is this some thing they are doing with all customers?
latest report
Quote:

Your hubbies friend was pulling his plonker

I don't know quite why people have been so rude and dismissive about this - the guy had been on holiday in austria, after all. BKK is apparently 65cm on the upper slopes, which probably is less than average, though that doesn't mean the pistes aren't in decent shape, of course.
snow conditions
OP wrote:
Someone my husband knows has just come back from austria (dont know where) and he said they were having one of the worst winters for lack of snow

pam w wrote:
I don't know quite why people have been so rude and dismissive about this.

I'll tell you why - cos it's a load of rubbish said probably meant (like I said) as a wind-up.

I blame the Francophiles - wasn't you was it? Laughing
snow conditions
Quote:

wow I have never heard of that before (call from Crystal rep). Is this some thing they are doing with all customers?

I use crystal a lot and they have phoned me before every trip for the past 3 years or so, all have been to austria
latest report
Quote:

I blame the Francophiles - wasn't you was it?

no, it wasn't Laughing but 65 cms on the top of the mountain is not too great, is it? OK, miles from the skiwelt but doesn't mean that the guy was wrong.
snow conditions
Quote:

BKK is apparently 65cm on the upper slopes

What/where is BKK?
latest report
Bad Kleinkirchheim. I think it's in Carinthia. Had my first proper ski holiday in neighbouring Sankt Oswald, in about 1987. Lovely little place.
snow conditions
St Oswald was a lovely little place, with an outside warm spa-fed swimming pool. BKK was a fairly unlovely large place.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w, cheers - can't go wrong with a nice spa and outdoor pool!
latest report
pam w wrote:
Quote:

I blame the Francophiles - wasn't you was it?

no, it wasn't Laughing but 65 cms on the top of the mountain is not too great, is it? OK, miles from the skiwelt but doesn't mean that the guy was wrong.

He was wrong to say it as "Austria is having one of the worst winters due to lack of snow".

Almost all the places that the main UK TOs go to in Austria have got plenty of snow.
ski holidays
pam w, it's not how much depth you have that is important in most of Austria as they are not relying on having to cover rocks and boulders. BKK's ski slopes are Alms in the summer, so grass covered and mostly tree-lined. You yourself have used the same argument to sell your relatively "low" area as well if I remember correctly! BKK seems to be doing well enough to be included on the FIS race circuit, even though its highest point is only just over 2000m. Most of the skiing is under that though at between 1000m and 1950m; BKK itself lies at 1087m asl.

Never mind the depth feel the quality! Laughing
snow report
Yes indeed, our pistes are almost all on pasture, but it's rare to have so little snow, and I dare say BKK has more in the average January. Parts of Austria (like parts of France, of Switzerland, and quite a few bits of Italy) have been left behind the general snowiness of this year, obviously. If someone had been on holiday in one of the snow-scarcer parts of Austria it's understandable that they might have got the impression it wasn't a good year.

When I've skied in snow-scarce years (including the Portes du Soleil and the 3 Valleys, both in early January) there has always been snow over all the pistes, but it gets very hard and slick and shiny - there's nothing like some nice fresh soft stuff. Skinny, slick, hard pistes with some man-made mixed in just aren't the same, are they? The peculiar surface left by several days of foehn is yet another variant.

clarky, the little pool in the grounds of our apartment in St Oswald was fantastic. The water was very warm. My sons invented a game of chicken which involved lying on the edge of the pool and stuffing a handful of snow down their trunks. The winner was the last to roll into the water. It was a little pool, just for our apartments. the big public one in BKK was nothing like as nice, despite all the fancy gadgets and whirl-pools and the like. Swimming in the dark and quiet, in warm water, surrounded by snowy mountains, was very special.
snow conditions
Currently in skiwelt staying in ellmau. Snow has been manic. Started snowing sat afternoon and only stopped this morning. However so much snow made skiing v difficult. Could only see 100yrds ahead. Slopes in bad condition as Too Much snow. However, today has beenfantastic as the sun peeped out between clouds making skiing great. Headed over to schaffau which is really nice. Blue 61 into gondola is great. If conditions stay as are, it will be great skiing for the nezt week or 2. Great to see snow on trees. V pretty.
snow report
Quote:

Slopes in bad condition as Too Much snow.

vdfsfbdddddd
snow report
clarky999, Some Brits are only happy when they can worry about lack of snow or moan about too much snow! I had an interesting encounter this morning which has certainly made me determined never, ever to stay in a British-run hotel ever again. Some people are so far up their own arses that they really cannot get a wider perspective!

Jon Ford, Not having a go at you by the way, but sorry you really should MTFU! These conditions are fantastic and you should be thanking the snow Gods every waking minute of the day! snowHead
ski holidays
Samerberg Sue wrote:

Jon Ford, Not having a go at you by the way, but sorry you really should MTFU! These conditions are fantastic and you should be thanking the snow Gods every waking minute of the day! snowHead

I was trying to say the same thing, but couldn't think of a nice way to put it, so let my kitten type instead - judging by how he was leaping/swimming through the snow this morning, I think he agrees...
snow report
Wasnt moaning. Skiing has been hard work on most blues due to the heavy snowfall. Was purely updating the thread for people comjng out this week3nd
snow conditions
Quote:

I had an interesting encounter this morning which has certainly made me determined never, ever to stay in a British-run hotel ever again.

wasn't mine Razz
ski holidays
flangesax, Your place is not a hotel Ben, it is a home from home for all of us! Laughing
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy