Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Base cleaner/wax remover

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Could somebody recommend a good base cleaner and best way of using it?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Charliefoxtrot, petrol and a match.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Depends why you want to clean the base. If it is for a ptex repair then you need wax remover (there's a citrus one available from various shops that doesn't smell too bad). Just spray it on and clean off with a rag.

If you are just wanting to wax your skis then apply hot wax and scrape it off before it cools, that cleans up the base. Then apply wax a second time and allow to cool before scrapping. There is no need to use wax remover before waxing.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
sah, Cool
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
sah, yeh but . . . mine's more fun to watch . . . from a safe distance . . . spoilsport wink
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
spyderjon wrote:
sah, Cool

Pretty sure I learned that from your site Happy

Only other use for wax remover is to clean my scraper, comes up a treat.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I prefer to remove the old wax before putting new one, especially if the new one is different from the old. And waxing twice just to remove... Too much effort compared to spraying, waiting a minute or two and cleaning with a cloth.
I just used this one - http://www.snowrepublic.co.uk/Skiing-and-Snowboard-Wax/Wax-Remover/Data-Wax-Remover-And-Cleaner-500ml this afternoon for the first time. Works as expected and doesn't smell too bad. They have smaller bottles.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
moridinbg wrote:
I prefer to remove the old wax before putting new one, especially if the new one is different from the old. And waxing twice just to remove... Too much effort compared to spraying, waiting a minute or two and cleaning with a cloth.
I just used this one - http://www.snowrepublic.co.uk/Skiing-and-Snowboard-Wax/Wax-Remover/Data-Wax-Remover-And-Cleaner-500ml this afternoon for the first time. Works as expected and doesn't smell too bad. They have smaller bottles.

Yes but now you are going to have to waste your expensive wax trying to get the bases properly nourished again.

rolling eyes
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
moridinbg wrote:
I prefer to remove the old wax before putting new one, especially if the new one is different from the old. And waxing twice just to remove...

Then leave old one on, since you do way more damage this way, then leaving old wax there and putting new one over.
There's few other things to consider... most waxes (even xc waxes, which last longer) normally last on ski for 30-40km, then they are gone. Considering with alpine, snow is (most of time) more aggressive, and speed is higher, your "old" wax is gone long before your skis hit wax table.
Second thing is, wax mixing. Yes sure it's not perfect, and when I was still on World cup, we had skis for cold snow, and we had skis for warm snow, so skis were never waxed with waxes for opposite conditions. But that was World cup racing and not recreational skiing. With wax mixing you surely get slower skis, but I can bet anything you want, you don't get fastest wax combo on your skis anyway Wink So does it really matter if skis are a little bit, and I really mean very very little bit, slower then they would be? Nowadays I use one single wax (Swix CH7 for alpine and Swix CH8 for xc), even though I still have huge supply of HF waxes and powders, and considering few of my best friends are WC techs for Swix, I could still get these things in unlimited amounts, but it's just not worth it. I might be fraction slower, but I did more then enough ski/wax testing, waxing 10 layers of waxes and powders on single ski etc. through my life, to bother with all this again.
And one more thing, with wax removers you get rid of ALL wax in ptex. This means, your skis are like new, which means you need some 15-20 wax cycles before you even put ski on snow. If mixing waxes is really that big of a deal for you, then you should really avoid putting skis without wax in ptex to snow Wink
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
It's for a ptex repair. So thanks for the advice. I usually let a pro do it and I'm always happy but I now have a new board so the old one is going to get used as a testing platform.
I do like Masque,'s idea that would be the most fun
primoz, great advice, lots of waxing needed after it has been cleaned and repaired.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Charliefoxtrot, made the mistake of tossing a snapped board into an oildrum burner I was using to get rid of a load of old offcuts I'd been accumulating from building work . . . neighbors thought the whole yard was on fire Shocked
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I can imagine there was a hell of a lot of thick black smoke
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy