Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Half Term Queues at Cairngorm

Poster: A snowHead
Due to lack of funds the family is thinking of doing a few days in Aviemore from 20-24 February this year as we can't afford to go abroad. I had naively assumed that the place would be fairly empty midweek as nobody else would be daft enough to inflict the nasty weather on their kids. Searching through old posts however suggests this is not the case and it will be rammed at half term.
The question is, is it rammed at Scottish half term, which appears to be the weekend before, or is it rammed at English half term which is when we're going?

And is it really Scottish busy* or just quite busy?

Any input gratefully received.

I've had dozens of brilliant days skiing in Scotland but struggling to believe that there are so many other people willing to inflict the potentially foul weather and harsh conditions on their kids for a full week...

cheers

* end of the queue almost reaching the top of the lift
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

struggling to believe that there are so many other people willing to inflict the potentially foul weather and harsh conditions on their kids for a full week...

You're not alone in hating your children Toofy Grin
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You've clearly met my children Very Happy
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

And is it really Scottish busy* or just quite busy?

Scottish busy.

I know someone who managed the grand total of 8.5 miles of skiing on sunday, the rest of time waiting..... (that was at Glenshee).

345PP for a week in Niederau B&B 415PP SC in Andorra both flying from manchester based on 4.

I know which I'd chose if I lived nearer an airport that at least had some flights (I was thinking about an extra trip away in January, next flight available out of Scotland 16th February!)
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hmmm,
I think I'm in denial.
I'm refusing to believe that anyone else is stupid enough to take their kids to the gorm for a full week in mid winter... in which case why am I thinking of it?

Where did you find those two deals Andy?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

I know someone who managed the grand total of 8.5 miles of skiing on sunday, the rest of time waiting..... (that was at Glenshee).

Yeah, that was me. Lots of tows breaking down and snowboarders taking 6 attempts to get going didn't help.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
half-term = rammed both weeks, i dont go near the place and i live just up the road. The English week may be marginally less busy but still pretty choca. Not that you wouldnt still have a decent time, but it will be a bit mad
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
TheGeneralist, I wonder if those "deals" were at half term?

My Scottish skiing experience is very old (like me) but the worst queues ever encountered were at Cairngorm, not half term, just a beautiful sunny Saturday with great snow!

Your best bet for a bargain week could be a last minute deal for Easter, which is nicely early this year. A DIY trip could also work out well, though airfares from the UK are very high. I am organising a big family party at Easter and my son is paying nearly £800 with easyJet for a family of 5, even avoiding travelling peak days. And he booked ages ago. It is low season in France (we are renting apartments at the same price as early January). You could do a pretty cheap Easter trip, driving to France and getting a package deal on a basic apartments with ski passes included. Queues shouldn't be a problem - most French people seem to give up skiing before the end of March.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I have had many very enjoyable days skiing in Scotland but I don't think I'd go for a whole week - or at any rate not booking well ahead. A week would be fine when conditions (including snow conditions) are good. You'd be best having a car and able to try several of the resorts.
I could be wrong but I'd be surprised if English holidays were drawing that many skiers up to Scotland.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
snowball, its packed every year at half term, English week included
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Easter in Scotland is quieter than 1/2 term and often coincides with the peak snow of the season, generally better weather with more sunshine and long days and because later season skiers tend to be enthusiasts, there's less muppetry on the hill.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
TheGeneralist wrote:
Hmmm,
I think I'm in denial.
I'm refusing to believe that anyone else is stupid enough to take their kids to the gorm for a full week in mid winter... in which case why am I thinking of it?

I'm sitting in the airport with andyrew just now and he asked me to tell you it was Thomsons.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'm going on a motorhome tour of Scotland that week. Hope it's not too busy but any skiing I get in will be a bonus. Are all the snow centres there rammed or is it just Cairngorm? Is The Lecht worth a visit?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
TheGeneralist wrote:
Hmmm,
I think I'm in denial.

TBH you will probably need a full week at the Gorm if you want to ski for the day. The other six days you will be waiting for the wind to die down, then clearing the access road the digging out the funicular, bolox then it's windy again.

You're not mad, had quite a few great sessions up there. We will be heading up there the second week of the Easter holiday. Just got to go prep'd for anything so will be taking skis, mtb's and walking boots with some huskies and a sled, wellies and shorts, canoes and ice axes. Think that's all. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Cairngorm and Glenshee will be busiest. The others will be busy for sure but not as rammed. Lecht is a great place, what they lack in scale they make up for in vibe and effort to take care of the punters. Awesome for kids too with the magic carpet and bunny runs right outside base station.
ski holidays
Andorra for half term, queues like France mid january. Don't let those two days we had in Aviemore last April lul you into a false sense of "skiing in Scotland is ok".
ski holidays
tangowaggon wrote:
Andorra for half term, queues like France mid january. Don't let those two days we had in Aviemore last April lul you into a false sense of "skiing in Scotland is ok".

eh wassat. Not good with names. Is that the man down south?

Where you off to then?

Actually scrap that, if it's who I think you are then you probably bumped into Robert Redford in a bar somewhere and he offered you to go our to his place in Utah for a couple of weeks followed by a few months heli skiing in the himalays or something wink

The thing is, though the sking last May was great, the queues were awful. That's part of the reason we did the hike to the top of the Gorm 6 times that day.
latest report
TheGeneralist, you will think I'm mad, but have you looked at flying to Malaga and skiing Sierra Nevada? Cheap flight with easyjet from both Manchester and Liverpool. Look into it, could be a decent option.
ski holidays
Quote:

Where you off to then?

Actually scrap that, if it's who I think you are then you probably bumped into Robert Redford in a bar somewhere and he offered you to go our to his place in Utah for a couple of weeks followed by a few months heli skiing in the himalays or something

Yep, the ginger one, Gary
Just got back from 2 weeks in Les Arcs / Paradiski, fab place, loads of unpisted black runs. Unfortunately work, finances and too many horses prevent the family holiday to Andorra this year ( I wasn't meant to go to France on my own but can't let a season pass without at least some skiing)
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy