Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hillend skis

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Had the pleasure of a trip to Hillend (Big dry slope outside Edinburgh) last night and the misfortune to have to use the rented skis there.

• They don't rent skis longer than 175cm (not good for a 6'4" 14.5st person)

• They don't rent skis stiffer than a noodle that's been on boil for 30 minutes

• They don't have any means to sharpen the edges of aforementioned noodles*

• They don't have a floodlight system capable of lighting their new slope

• The new nursery slope is made of some crappy plastic that is already falling apart

• The tubing slopes are redundant due to apparent lack of engineering assessment - ie. they're falling down the hill

• The sprinkler system doesn't reach to a big part of the new slope

*How the hell they expect kids and adult learners to learn how to edge skis properly using the equipment on offer is beyond me. All that money spent on making the slope look bigger (perceived quality) rather on the things the centre actually needed (equipment and servicing capabilities) seems like a big huge red herring. They used to have the capabilities to service skis, but according to someone there, this facility was removed to make way for something to do with the new slope installation!!

Shambles. I won't ski there again unless it's under 2ft of snow and I feel safe using my own kit.

Shame really, as the potential is huge, especially for the new generation of young skier and school groups etc. No wonder we produce so little sporting talent in this country - apart from tennis of course Shock)
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
shoogly,

Ao nothing much has changed since I first went there in about 1971?

Dendix (if that's what they still use) doesn't lend itself to longer skis and if they sharpened edges on any regularity the skis would last about 3 days. While I am sure that some of your infrastructure complaints are quite valid, I am not sure your ski related ones are, in the context of a dry slope.

Anyway, sharp edges don't help that much, the dendix is just showing up your lack of spoofing technique
Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Spoofing?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I certainly had a good experience last night with some nice skiing. No problems with the flood lighting on the new slope for me. Sprinklers were not in action as not needed due to the snow covering. However, I seem to remember there always being patchy coverage on the old slope. Had my own kit (with duff edges) so can't comment on hire skis. Surely you have some rock hoppers if you ski in Scotland? You never could hire anything longer than 175s and anything longer isn't particularly appropriate on a dry matt. Its not just Hillend too, I've been at ski resorts where I've struggled to hire something longer than 175cm!

I think its a little harsh to describe it as a shambles. I thought the new slope was a good addition and was seeing plenty of use whereas the face never saw much use.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
scottishskier: Is Hillend snow covered at the moment? Just that Mrs MA and I have fond memories of 2 deserted midweek December days there a couple of years ago - in total snow cover! It was brilliant.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
mountainaddict, there is snow, but not enough to cover the mat. In places yes, but the wind has scoured most of it. Some snow fencing would help wink

scottishskier, I know the sprinkler system isn't needed this week, but my comment about that was a general one relating to the new slope. It was a member of staff who had a good rant about the whole thing to me.

Quote:
surely you have some rock hoppers if you ski in scotland

Laughing you obviously have a different wife from me Laughing

It is a shambles if they've installed a new slope that is not fit for purpose, right next to some tubing runs that are not fit for purpose. Maybe some of that cash should have gone on new servicing equipment, some new skis etc. Instead, they did away with the equipment they already had and the skis that are already lots of seasons old will probably have to do for the next many seasons.

Last time I skiied there was a couple of years ago under about 3ft of snow and it was great as I did have my own kit with me.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
mountainaddict, As said above its not totally covered but there is enough to make it enjoyable.

snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
to be fair the new slope (the loop) is great for beginners as it gives them the chance to run down from the top on a far smoother and longer run. previous to this they could only really use the second red run (to the left as you look up the hill) which is bumpy and not all that long.

i totally agree that the misting system needs more work. it's far too patchy.

monday was great fun (as long as you didn't mind the blustery wind at the very top of the tow). bags of snow. we nipped over the top of the hill and came down through the golf course.

in the near future there will be ski servicing again. and, i gather, a retail unit.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
There's a Craigdon Mountain Sports opening in the old white building just the other side of the bypass... can't wait for that Very Happy No doubt they'll have servicing capabilities?

Just bought a new house and move in to the immediate area in March Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy snowHead
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
It serves its purpose.

Articles last year suggested the whole thing was getting the Dendix replaced with Neveplast but it only made it onto the nursery areas. Shame.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I learnt to ski at Hillend (in Primary school) and still go occasionally. I like the new part, much better than old part. Though I agree it needs more lights - the top section down to slope was pitch black for a few metres, which is a lot when you're a novice like me. I was tempted to go last week when it was snowy but thought it might be too slippy rolling eyes

I'm going for my first ski holiday in March, can't wait to see how the snow compares to Hillend!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy