Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

One guy in an avalanche...

Poster: A snowHead
feef, I guess it's the word 'only' that makes you assume that statement is bad news. Why not view it as [positive] "50% of buried skiers equipped with a beacon are found alive" [/positive] and then wonder how many of those would have not been found alive if they hadn't been wearing one?

I don't know one way or another, but I think there is a lot of 'lies, damn lies and statistics' to get to the bottom of in some of the things posted about all these safety devices
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
barry, it seems to me that once you are buried, however effective your beacon might be, you are still down to a) not being squished/battered to death first, and b) how effective your companions - assuming you are skiing with some, are at finding you/digging you out, whether they have a transceiver or otherwise.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Megamum, precisely! Mind you, if you didnt drop in in the first place then you'd be happily skipping along on another low level slope in the sunshine, or perhaps enjoying an early apres making up a few war stories wink

I am really shocked by the general perception of the available tools - I thought that knowledge development was tracking at least as fast as kit development over the past few seasons, but not so sure now
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yes, but quantifying that 50% would make a HUGE difference.. if they could say what proportion of the 50% who didn't survive died due to their party either not having beacons themselves, or not knowing how to use them as opposed to those who were well equipped and well trained/experienced in usage, then it woud be a more useful number.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The comment about jumping rocks is spot on. I triggered a tiny slide due to a small area of wind slab building up just below a couple of rocks. Enough to sweep your feet away even though all the rest of the snow was much more stable.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
feef wrote:
Yes, but quantifying that 50% would make a HUGE difference.. if they could say what proportion of the 50% who didn't survive died due to their party either not having beacons themselves, or not knowing how to use them as opposed to those who were well equipped and well trained/experienced in usage, then it woud be a more useful number.

but this suggests that your perception is that beacons are effective at saving lives much of the time. I dont think thats ever been the case. As Megamum mentioned, you may not survive the intial trauma, and indeed you may well suffocate, thats all before you factor in whether everyone has a beacon, knows how to use it, yours is switched on etc etc

Would I rather be on a dodgy slope with experienced or inexperienced beacon users? I'd rather not be on the slope!

The suggestion that an avvy beacon / snorkel / airbag (ALONE) makes it safer to travel in avvy terrain is very questionable, and there are easier, cheaper and far more effective ways to keep out of harms way (within a reasonalbe level of acceptable risk - which is when those tools DO become a backup safety factor) - eg lovely stable conditions with a good forecast, and I strike out for a hut-to-hut, weather turns unexpectedly with a big dump, and all of a sudden i'm stuck in dodgy conditions, i'll be glad of my kit then for sure (though still more reliant on knowledge to get me out safely / get hunkered down / call out the troops)
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
feef wrote:
sah wrote:

Maybe. Risk homeostatis (aka compensation) is an issue with ABS as moffatross suggested (see the excellent piece on pistehors by davidof).

An interesting read that on Pistehors, but I'm curious about the statement "However the reality is that only 50% of buried skiers equipped with a beacon are found alive." That's quite a staggering statement to make without explanation. Is that because some who have been buried WITH a beacon were skiing with those without beacons, or with those who didn't know how to use them? Or are they just not as effective as we're led to believe? Without explaining it, it seems a little alarmist.

I believe that stat comes from an SLF study (davidof provided several references below the piece)) and AFAIK is thought to be accurate but is not all that up to date (I *think* it was published in 2008 but the data comes from a long period before then). Reasons include those you mention, plus the possibility of fatal injury sustained during the fall or very deep burial (e.g. in a terrain trap) where the victim suffocated before rescuers could dig them out. I suspect some people die because companions panic and go for help rather than initiating rescue themselves. I seriously hope those stats improve with current digital beacons, I've not come across research that shows that yet, but when I get time I might have a look.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Some useful info here.
http://users.south-tyrolean.net/avalanche/e/ski03_e.html
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
barry wrote:
I am really shocked by the general perception of the available tools - I thought that knowledge development was tracking at least as fast as kit development over the past few seasons, but not so sure now

Spend a day at any ski centre and you'll see evidence to support your feelings. Scary, but true.

Maybe enough is not being done from an education point of view.

When you buy a lift pass, do you get any leaflet material about avalanche risk handed out?

On the lifts taking you to the top of the big pointy thing covered in snow, is there any education on the way up there. There's a captive audience when in a gondola or coming out of a lift station.

Most people out skiing on the hill have no idea about the associated dangers, all they see is fun. Only the mountain users that have a little knowledge know that there's more knowledge out there to get. It's getting that initial message to those that don't know that more work is needed.

Loads of great observations in this post.

moffatross, you seem like a sensible person to go skiing with... maybe we should hook up some time

Very Happy
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
shoogly, has certainly whiled away a boring morning's work Toofy Grin

good point about resorts, I naturally think out-of-bounds when thinking avvy risk. One alarming thing though I have noticed is the amount of punters who ignore avvy warning flags and announcements in resort Shocked . If patrol reckon you should give it a miss, that's generally good enough for me. I have heard announcements and warnings posted in resort so i think comms are improving, still though you cant force people
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
DB wrote:
Some useful info here.
http://users.south-tyrolean.net/avalanche/e/ski03_e.html

Good link, thanks. I was going to moan about lack of references to back up their stats, but if you carry on to the end it seems to list quite a few.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
clarky999 wrote:
Skiers can normally hike back up if need be (hard boots dig into the snow on steep slopes better than soft boarding boots), .... you might consider calling for a heli.

For boarders in deep powder, you have to use the board an an anchor above you across the slope and pull up against that. Skiers have a bit more flexibility, but I don't see a significant difference there. You can get back up. The main issue for boarders is on harder packed stuff - there, taking your board off at all puts you at significant risk, as you have at that point no edge at all.

If you're going to expect someone to have to get back uphill (eg if you're a heli-ski guide), then you'll mostly be guiding on skis with touring bindings or a split board for that reason.

Calling a heli... if there's any avalanche risk at all, a bit of rotor wash isn't a bad way to kick it off. It depends where you ride. In North America at least I think you're unlikely to be long-lined off something, more likely you'd be rescued more traditionally and then heli used for evacuation. Terrain in Europe is different.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

Calling a heli... if there's any avalanche risk at all, a bit of rotor wash isn't a bad way to kick it off. It depends where you ride. In North America at least I think you're unlikely to be long-lined off something, more likely you'd be rescued more traditionally and then heli used for evacuation. Terrain in Europe is different.

I've never been in that situation myself, though I seem to recall LeCluse and Plake (in Chamonix?) calling in heli evac a couple of years ago after things warmed up (I think) and got too dangerous to continue... Obviously depends on if you can find a safe spot to wait.

How close to the ground does a heli have to be for rotor wash to be a significant problem? No experience of this myself, I was thinking more along the lines of winched off the hill on a cable or somehting. I'm sure rescue services would rather come out in the heli before the avi has buried you than after.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Well in terms of 'education' I don't think I'm ready (and may never be) for the risks of 'off-piste' - I have a fairly well developed 'self preservation' instinct!! However I am very interested in the subject (as you will have seen), so if anyone with knowledge finds themselves skiing with me at any point and feels like pointing out safer/unsafe areas in terms of 'avi risk' and why, you would find an interested listener in me. FWIW even as an on-piste skier I always take note of the flags when we see them and anything that we see written and point it out to the kids.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Megamum, it really aint all that difficult to learn some basic but useful tips. Have a look at

http://www.sais.gov.uk/

these are the guys that do the daily forecasting in Scotlands big 5 climbing/skiing areas (BMG the link works this time!). 51 avalanches reported already this season (since early December)

even a perusal of the risk scoring scales and look at the daily forecasts can start to make you appreciate what you need to know. That and a healthy confident sense of direction to recognise aspect directions etc., is a great start, you dont have to appreciate pit mechanics and graupel layers and all that stuff to have a good working knowledge of how to choose your routes and travel more safely. I tend to refer to backcountry/off piste - you're already doing exactly the right thing in resort - observing the flags and warnings - I bet the average patroller would be happy to have a chat with you about how they do it too
snow report
shoogly wrote:
moffatross, you seem like a sensible person to go skiing with... maybe we should hook up some time Very Happy

Ha ha, yeah. Actually, I'd say you're more Captain Sensible than me but if you're gonna start carrying a bouncy castle around on your back ... Toofy Grin

I've just thrown caution to the wind and grabbed a few last light turns behind the house, well away from the busy Moffat pistes. But with no ski buddy to look out for me, maybe I should go sit in the naughty corner Laughing ...

latest report
moffatross, nice!
snow report
This is another brilliant article highlighted by Georgessurfschool and HAT. http://www.nytimes.com/projects/2012/snow-fall/#/?part=tunnel-creek

Very long article with first hand accounts and diagrams, well worth a read and sort of reinforces the claim that avy beacons only help to locate your body, and not neccessarily alive.

Very sad, and moving piece. Worth taking some time to read, and i dont even ski off piste very often at all.
latest report
moffatross, man if that slope went, those jaggy thistles would destroy your airbag. Carnage
snow report
dorsetboy, just read about the tunnel creek avi. As you say a very detailed and moving account, highlights the group dynamic at work causing some possible signs of avi risk being missed.

There's also a 10 minute video covering the story http://nyti.ms/TaHf9t
snow report
moffatross, I'm not that sensible... I'm about to head off in the morning for a drunken weekend in Poland when I could've spent the same money on a ski holiday!

We've been there and experienced the wobbly sluffy feeling though... we skiied it and had a great run in a very remote feeling place (wooer!). Another day, who knows.

talking about bouncy castles on ski slopes...

http://youtube.com/v/-uBFwqI4TlM

I wonder if an ABS would have saved him Twisted Evil

Nice turns...

Megamum, you don't need to get into anywhere very scary at all to experience the beauty of off piste skiing. Even in Scotland, off the top of Cairngorm, you can experience the delights of pretty straightforward skiing away from the crowded slopes... takes a bit of effort for the reward, but it's, more often than not, worth it.
ski holidays
waynos wrote:
the group dynamic at work causing some possible signs of avi risk being missed.

Amazing: nobody noticed that there had been 20" of snow overnight, nor realised that the 'tunnel' is very prone to sliding.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy