Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How to sharpen wax scraper?

Poster: A snowHead
Any tips without spending a fortune on some electric gadget? I bought a new scraper when my first one went blunt but this also now feels like it's starting to be less effective.. Not sure if I'm doing something wrong but they seem to last about 15 to 20 "waxings"?? (only wax so often as I mainly ski indoors which seems to strip bases quickly so I have mine and 2 sets of kids skis to do regularly)
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
shootingmike, I've found that wax build-up can often make them feel blunter than they are so I use the iron to take them back to fresh every few waxes.

Our very own SypderJon sells a recommended scraper sharpener

Or there's this, but they need to be clean for this to be really effective as a sharpener.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
shootingmike, I've used both and the one from the Piste Office is by far the best value and the most effective.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Easiest way is to use the edge of the ski (I use the edge at rear of the ski) , while ski is flat in the vice just run the edge of the scarper across the sharp ski edge , takes of the excess wax and sharpens at the same time.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
shootingmike, works a treat

http://www.jonsskituning.co.uk/component/page,shop.product_details/flypage,shop.flypage/product_id,192/category_id,22/manufacturer_id,0/option,com_virtuemart/Itemid,1/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=192&category_id=22&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1&vmcchk=1
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
just use a metal scraper, really £16 to sharpen plastic Shocked
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
geeo, a metal scraper will cut/smooth out the base structure whereas a perspex won't.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Another for metal . . . to be honest the best I've got is a spring steel engineer's ruler that cost 25p in Bury market . . . but then I treat my boards like babies so I'm quite light handed with it.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
geeo wrote:
just use a metal scraper, really £16 to sharpen plastic Shocked

use the metal scraper to sharpen the plastic one...simples
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Plastic please, metal for Petex, dummies, go buy a rasp/Fitzwilliam file and sharpen your perspex! rolling eyes
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Easiest option is to tape sand paper to table, where you wax skis, and few drags over sandpaper before starting new ski is all you need. Other options are Fitzwilliam file, or if nothing else metal scraper, but with metal scraper you end up with convex or concave plastic scraper, which is not really good thing.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
A bit of fine grade wet and dry does the job OK.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

geeo, a metal scraper will cut/smooth out the base structure whereas a perspex won't.

never managed to harm the bases once using a metal scraper, IMO you would need to be pretty stupid with it to do that you know how strong bases are, as for the structure loss well i dont race so dont care about 0.000002 seconds extra to get to the next queue and have no idea why 99.9% of the folk on here care about such trivialities either.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
geeo, If you lose the structure on the big surface of a board you end up with terrible 'stiction'. that's why they need brushing out too. Doesn't matter how good or proper the wax job, on warm snow you can just judder to a halt on a green. I use a metal ruler but I'm very 'soft handed' with it.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks guys. Just a further quick question then.... If I use the drag it over some sandpaper method, how exactly should I drag it? With the scraper held with its effective edge square against the paper?
snow report
shootingmike, the way you do it easiest... Grab scraper, and drag it few time on longest side up and down Wink
latest report
geeo wrote:
Quote:

never managed to harm the bases once using a metal scraper, IMO you would need to be pretty stupid with it to do that you know how strong bases are, as for the structure loss well i dont race so dont care about 0.000002 seconds extra to get to the next queue and have no idea why 99.9% of the folk on here care about such trivialities either.

It's not about 0.000002 seconds, it's about getting nowhere in the wet spring snow. Also happens when well structured bases are not properly brushed after waxing.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy