Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Marker Jesters/Griffons?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Afternoon All

I'm buying a pair of Prior DB3's from their factory in Whistler and they fit Marker Griffons to them. I'd prefer to have Jesters fitted as they're all metal not part plastic.

Does anyone know if there's a fundamental difference between the two? or am I just being ridiculous as there's no real noticeable difference.

I'm 5' 8" and 200lbs.

Cheers

Jack
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Jumping Jack Flash, there's no difference apart from the din range (Griffon is 4-13 & the Jester is 6-16) - you get the same amount of flexible plastic in both bindings! I've seen plenty of pull-out's/breakages on both. Last season both had beefed up base plates but that hasn't fully cured the problem, especially for big aggressive guys. To get a less flexible version you have to buy the reinforced Jester Pro model (8-18 din) which also has a wider mounting platform.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
spyderjon, Thanks for that. I was beginning to think there was nobody out there! However, now you've got me thinking about the Jester Pro's! I have got some Salomon S14's that I could swap over from my Lords and rotate between the two but I think it'll probably be better to get the whole set and save buggering about!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi, 1st post, been lurking a while.

I have a related question for you Spyderjon as I'm also considering Griffons but versus Sally sth 14 drivers. You mention pull-outs / breakages for both bindings how does that compare against other brands Sallys, Looks, tyrolias etc. or are they all much the same.

Also I've read about the griffons squeaking a lot, anyone know if reason for that one been figured out?

thanks for any help.

cheers.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
kinellarfin, personally I think Vist's are the pick of the bunch for function, durability & value. Apart from the springing, you get the same binding construction irrespective of the din range whereas with most other makes you get the same looking binding but with differing quality materials. You get a full chassis front & rear the covers are purely cosmentic rather than holding the whole thing together. Strong fixed teflon AFD. The gnarly dudes or racers can block out the vertical toe release function, the wide range of brakes widths are super tough & 'cam-in' tight down the sides of the heel. Vist also do a full range of toe shims & differing screw lengths so the delta angles can be altered.

Jesters/Griffons are over hyper/over priced but they sell 'cause they're they current cool ticket. The actual toe & heel mechanisms are excellent which is why I sell the Duke/Barons which use the same system but the ski/binding interface sucks as it's waaay too flexible & I don't like concealed toe screws as you can't check them for tightness. The forward pressure adjustment has to be very high so clicking-in in soft snow is hard. It's for these reasons I don't sell them even though I'm a Marker dealer. The squeaking is from the rubbing of plastic on plastic. Steer clear of the earlier generation thinner base plated models which have a 10mm thick x 200mm long heel plate versus the 13mm thick x 240mm long current beafed-up version. Seen plenty of breakages of the stamped sheet metal insert in the sliding sheet AFD with resulting loss of the spring or the spring bends & jams up the mechanism.

Sallie metal(ish) models with driver toes are excellent but have a tendancy to self adjust on the toe height/wings & the brakes suck. Strong fixed teflon AFD. Seen plenty of broken heel base plates. If you want to use a vibram soled boot in an alpine binding (not din approved so at your own risk) then the driver toe is the way to go & I was considering this myself until Dynafit announced their new Beast binding which hopefully I'll have soon.

Look PX/Rossi Axial develop a lot of play in the heel very quickly with the race models seeming to be worse so I only sell the Pivot models. Look Pivot/Rossi FKS have the superbly functioning & very elastic pivot heel but with captive brakes that don't retract that well & only +/- 4mm of length adjustment. The 14 din toe is the standard plastic Look offering but seems to hold up surpisingly well but I replace a few broken toe wings every season. The 18 din metal toe is bomber but doesn't have the vertical release function found in the 14. Strong fixed teflon AFD.

Tyrolia/Head metal models are bomber & I've never had a problem with the narrow heel mounting pattern that some people are concerned about. Strong fixed teflon AFD. What I don't like is that the two screws that hold the brake lever in place go right through the lever & secure the front of the heel piece to the ski meaning that any load on the brake lever (say on a dodgy switch landing) is applied to the mounting screws - I've seen a number of pull-out's that wouldn't have occured with other makes as just the brake levers would have been damaged. Also if you need to remove the brakes, say to straighten them, you have to disturb the actual mount.

Hope that helps. If I think of anything else I'll come back & edit this post.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for that spyderjon, a lot more info than was expecting, v. interestin. So looks like each have their own quirky weak points (Vist you reckon less so), makes it seem like we are taking a gamble regardless of which of the mainstream / high selling bindings on offer are picked?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy