Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avalanche Shovel

Poster: A snowHead
I've seen various versions of these things, with plastic blades (not convinced) with metal blades (more convinced) and with a range of interesting handle setups and designs that seem to be fairly straightforward but I suspect some could freeze (not good) in really cold weather.

So my question really is what is wrong with one of these? Note this is an overpriced version for reference, but is the same design as the army surplus ones you can get in a bag for about £3.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NATO-ARMY-SURPLUS-FOLDING-SHOVEL-ENTRENCHING-TOOL-heavy-duty-camping-spade-/221121129791#vi-content

You can drop the blade and lock it at 90 deg for scraping snow away, or straight out for plain old digging. Having used one they seem stronger than most of the aluminium jobbies I see from the various ski manufacturers, have less things to go wrong, just interested in why I've never seen one used. They also seem fairly straightforward to open, even with gloves on, and lock in position.

They also come with a nice holster bag, so you don't need one of those expensive backpacks with a shovel holder on them and a gazillion straps to get caught on chairlifts.

So why isn't everyone using one?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
cos we're way to cool in school to use anything but the latest brand chic

although they could be a bit heavy too I reckon?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Having seen both types of shovel, I think you would dig quicker with an avalanche shovel as the blade is 2+ times as big as the NATO type.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
With a pointy end and serrated edges that thing looks like it'd be rubbish at quickly shifting large amounts of snow and I also wouldn't want one anywhere near my face or hands if I was the buried victim in a mock rescue. With well rated kit, designed for the job, available new for £40 or so, why would you part with the best part of £20 for something that isn't. Puzzled

I'm out. Laughing
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
i have an old Mammut shovel which is similar to that but without the serrated egde and point. it isn't very efficient because the handle is short and the blade is small
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
That would be very cool but you'd have to wear leather boots, wood skis and carry a St Bernard around you neck instead of a transceiver Smile

Or you could go for something lighter that's able to shift more snow and not designed to dig a fox hole or double as a weapon.

Laughing
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
BCA B1 Compact
£22.50 a bargain a proper shovel designed for the job, nice and light from a good UK supplier
Just buy it, should the worst happen, your mate will thank you

http://www.edgeandwax.co.uk/728923/products/bca_b_1_compact_avalanche_shovel.aspx

Phil
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
qwertyuiop7,
Quote:

£22.50 a bargain a proper

wow that is a bargain Shocked Shocked
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
qwertyuiop7,
Good find at tha price Phil. We have one B1 with the extending handle and one with the probe inside. advantage with the extender, the handle is shorter for packing, but the compact is also short
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
qwertyuiop7, Toofy Grin
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I have a military folding shovel in the boot of my car, they are great but as said, very heavy, only a small blade and not much good for shifting large volumes. Better than nowt though.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Scarpa, I had the same, but this winter I looked for it and it had vanished along with my ice scrapers and de-icer, I've turned the place upside down and still not found it.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
But bear in mind that the amount of snow you can shift with any shovel is limited by the strength of your arms anyway. You might well find that a NATO sized shovelfull of snow is about the same weight as you could comfortably lift with the other shovel.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I was working on the principle of avalanche debris being lumps of hard and nasty stuff - the normal shovels look great for shifting powder about, but what is the reality when it happens?

Plus you can get cool backpacks with a shovel pocket from the army surplus for about a fiver too...
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Monium, Standard shovels (alloy anyhow) work fine. Usually one person hacking away and then one behind clearing debris. Those army folding shovels are way too much weight to my mind and with the blade shape not suited to lift much with one scoop at all.
snow report
^ NATO squadies are ripped though
ski holidays
Monium, Snow is not earth, clay, rocks and roots . . . horses for courses man, horses for courses . . . someone pointed out a DIY shop shovel that is an avalanche tool without the silly sticker price, have a wander and get something appropriate for the job.
ski holidays
monkey wrote:
But bear in mind that the amount of snow you can shift with any shovel is limited by the strength of your arms anyway. You might well find that a NATO sized shovelfull of snow is about the same weight as you could comfortably lift with the other shovel.

But with a pointy ended one, even if your total amount of snow lifted per shovelful was the same, the snow on the pointy ended one might keep falling off and back down into the hole you're digging I think, soil being grippy and snow being slippery and all. And that would be really, really annoying for your buried companion who just wants to get out as quickly as possible and have a nice hot cup of soup. Oh, and to put plasters over all their wee pointy cuts. Toofy Grin
latest report
Quote:

Those army folding shovels are way too much weight to my mind

That's probably the main drawback with the NATO shovel. I don't really think the amount of snow shifted will be any different. The avalanche debris i've seen (granted not a lot) has usually consisted of big hard lumps of snow the size of breezeblocks or bigger. I'd have thought a NATO shovel would be as effective at shifting that - in fact you might find the pointy teeth quite effective at breaking up the lumps. I'm sure overall you'd be better off with a purpose built shovel but i wouldn't turn my nose up at the NATO shovel. When push comes to shove it's still just a spade, and there's a limit to how much design input is needed.
snow report
Looking at the weight of your average ave shovel and an entrenching tool, theres only about the weight of a half-litre bottle of water in it...
snow conditions
N.B. If anyone has any bright ideas about where I have put my folding nato type spade, then please chip in, I'm running out of places to look - I wouldn't mind finding it to sling back in the car for emergencies.
latest report
What I found when shoveling avalanche debris, is that the lumps can often roll about on the shovel. My avalanche shovel has quite a flat 'bowl' shape to it, and the lumps didn't fall straight off as they were caught by the edges.

With the nato shovel. I think the blade's too flat, and while it'll lift snow, I can see it sliding off before it's been properly removed from the dig area

And they are MUCH heavier than an avalanche shovel. After digging for 10 minutes, at altitude, that weight will be quite noticeable.
snow report
Was digging around in avalanche debris with a plastic blade and was impressed with its ability to deal with compacted snow.
snow conditions
Megamum wrote:
N.B. If anyone has any bright ideas about where I have put my folding nato type spade, then please chip in, I'm running out of places to look - I wouldn't mind finding it to sling back in the car for emergencies.

Have you checked the spare wheel well? I've spent hours looking for things like a warning triangle and jumpleads, only to find them under the boot floor.
ski holidays
I saw these in http://www.costco.com/.product.11618660.html costco Trafford park for around £15 for two ( I think ) if they're of any use to anyone Madeye-Smiley
snow report
They are 15.99 plus VAT in costco for a 2 pack. I picked one up on Friday. Seem pretty good quality and not too heavy.
ski holidays
It seems a good price seeing as snow and rock shovels start at £30 Cool
snow conditions
Would be interesting to see how well it does in real avi debris.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
NATO shovel - good for intended use but no way as a avy tool!! Its made to be a versatile, 'jack of all trades' type compact shovel. Spends most of it's time digging 8ft/6ft/2ft holes in the Brecon Beacons!!! wink

Get a specific avalanche shovel. Metal - always.

I'm surprised AvalancheAcademy hasn't jumped in with both feet on this one.
snow conditions
How is the coffee this morning folks?? Looks like Gad found a good deal.

I the real mountains (not the internet based ones) Any snow shoveling device that's regularly (preferably always) carried is considered a good one.

Yes the bendy plastic things that you hold the sides and don't have a handle are considered less effective by mountain professionals, but in a pinch they do work better than skis or a snowboard by a country mile.

If you are worried about price then Decathalon/Quechua/Vieux Campeur always stock avie shovels starting at 19€.
Yes some of them are plastic based. BUT a plastic or should I say Lexan shovel form one of the major Beacon manufactures is as good as any metal (Alu,steel,titanium) in real use.
If the snow you are trying to dig through is tougher than your shovel, your buddies are very dead already!

The serious point here is not the shovel, it's remembering to carry it and then knowing what to do with it....and that's your ski/board buddie not you! (because you are the one they are trying to dig out!)

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Tue 8-10-13 8:57; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Idris,
Quote:

If the snow you are trying to dig through is tougher than your shovel, your buddies are very dead already!

+1

Mistress Panda,I don't think I'd want one of my buddies to try and dig me out with a shovel blade the size of a A5 pad (NATO shovel) just because he/she was too tight to fork out for a decent shovel, that was fit for purpose (shovel blade and shaft twice the size at least). The function of the nato shovel depends on the screw mechanism on the handle, which in my experience has failed to lock out the shovel at times. Therefore you are left with a fantastic flappy metal paddle type thing, that will be no use when it comes to using it.
latest report
Everything is a compromise, the best shovel for shifting huge amounts of snow I've come across was a grain shovel. About 2ft 6ins by 2ft 6ins but quite heavy and to big to fit onto the back of your pack. The weight of the snow on your shovel isn't the problem it's braking it up into manageable chunks. The size of most avalanche shovels is a compromise, small enough and light enough to fit on your pack and just about big enough to dig out snow in a hurry. If you ever have to dig someone out for real you'll wish you had the grain shovel in your hands instead of the 6ins by 6ins NATO thing.
snow report
gad wrote:
I saw these in http://www.costco.com/.product.11618660.html costco Trafford park for around £15 for two ( I think ) if they're of any use to anyone Madeye-Smiley

Costco have got snow shovels back in for around £18 this time 👍

Sorry, I should have checked the link worked but I was on my phone at the time.

They are a twin pack, three piece aluminium shovel, and will fit in a rucksack no problem, look decent quality as well, but you'd really have to see them for yourself. 👍

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sat 1-11-14 20:07; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
I guess it's a joke. Obviously no one in their right minds would buy one of those when you can get kiddie's sandcastle shovels for less. And they will weigh a lot less too.
snow conditions
I think Ill stick to my Ortovox Kodiak - A word to anyone who ever wants to play off piste with me (when I get off piste myself), If you are ever stupid enough and disrespectful enough of my life to turn up with a shitty cheap shovel, I shall first break your shovel over your thoughtless head and then get mine out to finish the job Twisted Evil
snow conditions

http://youtube.com/v/rgfuPdjkoP4
snow report
@PaulC1984, isn't that just the issue though - I guess with avi rescue gear (with the possible exception of the transceiver which serves both needs) you are always carrying it for someone else, not for yourself. You kind of have to rely on the person you ski with thinking as much of your life as you hope they hope they do of their own and hope the feelings are reciprocal. I was channel hoping last night and the last 10 minutes of an episode of Xena were on. The last quote seems to sum this up:

Macon: (after Xena saves his life from the sea even though he has tried to kill her) Why? I'm a killer. Why did ya come back - what do you expect?
Xena: From you - nothing. From me - nothing less.
(Macon gets up and walks away shaking his head)
Gabrielle: He doesn't get it does he?
Xena: Not a clue
snow report
@Megamum, xena god thats a blast from the past.

You are right though. I went and looked at all the gear I bought, took recommendations, trialled it - the price was secondary to me. I would hope the people I chose to ski with would do the same. Ive heard people say it before - get the best avi gear and then give it to your mate!!
snow report
Quote:

get the best avi gear and then give it to your mate!!

@PaulC1984, that might be why I've actually got a spare transceiver!! Which might sound laughable seeing as I don't venture off the edge yet, but I have reached the point of 'never say never' and at least I will be used to the equipment when I finally take the plunge.
snow conditions
and you have 400acres and 2 horses to practice with Happy - totaly with you, i prefer to be prepared. whats a few hundred pounds if one day it may save your life or anothers. its just like buying insurance only it really could be life insurance!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy