Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

GoPro vs Drift vs Contour vs Sony vs JVC comaparison table

Poster: A snowHead
Handy table comparing key technical specs of top helmet cameras, including costs > http://www.actioncameras.co.uk/action-camera-reviews-infographic-best-helmet-cameras
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Thats brilliant - good find mattbatt.
Now all I need to do is do something worth filming.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
mattbatt, are you the same Matt that's posted a link to the same table on UKC, and are you anything to do with the website that sells said cameras? It's a useful table, but if you are something to do with ActionCameras you should probably tell people so they know the context it's posted in.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
this afternoon i was googling everywhere to find something like this and to be honest even if there is a vested interest somewhere in the posting i still think it is a really useful bit of information - unless of course there are some very important bits of info missing from the table Puzzled

i have a bullet head cam and looking to change it to a better definition so the table was very useful for me.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
MogulMonkey, no problem with Matt posting it - I agree it's useful, but if you know it's effectively an advert for a website selling said cameras then you will read it in that context - for example knowing that you might decide "gosh - that Countour +2 looks just the camera for me, and a snip at £359 - I think I'll buy one. However, I think I'd best check to see if that's the best price available, as that nice chap Matt may have a vested interest in giving me that information as he sells said cameras." And then you might check Wiggle and save yourself forty quid.

I've no problem with people posting promotional threads (although SH might prefer if people doing it paid them for the advertising), but I think it should be obvious if it is (and of course, this may not be - but it is only Matt's third post and one of his other two was a link to the same website).
snow report
 cran
cran
what about the ion Pro?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
andy from embsay wrote:
MogulMonkey, no problem with Matt posting it - I agree it's useful, but if you know it's effectively an advert for a website selling said cameras then you will read it in that context - for example knowing that you might decide "gosh - that Countour +2 looks just the camera for me, and a snip at £359 - I think I'll buy one. However, I think I'd best check to see if that's the best price available, as that nice chap Matt may have a vested interest in giving me that information as he sells said cameras." And then you might check Wiggle and save yourself forty quid.

I've no problem with people posting promotional threads (although SH might prefer if people doing it paid them for the advertising), but I think it should be obvious if it is (and of course, this may not be - but it is only Matt's third post and one of his other two was a link to the same website).

I found the contour+ 2 for £273 when I was online window shopping earlier...

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Wed 23-01-13 0:23; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
bobalexander1983 wrote:
andy from embsay wrote:

I found the contour+ 2 for £273 when I was online window ahopping earlier...

Well done you - however that wasn't really my point (as I'm not in the market for one - just happened to know they're £316 on Wiggle).
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Just in case you were swithering, an extra £40 would cover an extra round in resort. Wink

Your ultimate point was also emphatically made though.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
andy from embsay, bobalexander1983, For me th important part was the comparison chart being available with lots of useful information side by side for each product..I never even looked at the price listed but when looking to purchase i would - and always do look around at different prices. so even though the chart has been posted it wouldnt mean that i would buy from there although i suppose that there are some that would. My money always stays in my pocket until i have done my research - or am i just a tight git. Laughing
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
MogulMonkey, Absolutely, I hadn't really taken umbrage at the potentially vested interests of the original poster - it's the way of the world on almost any forum on any subject the world over.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hi

I am looking to buy a head camera specifically for ski-ing [going in 3 weeks], mountain biking & road cycling [racing]. I seem to be [have been] going towards a Gopro Hero HD2 have watched a few go through ebay, after reading the thread above I will look at the contour roam 2 [actually think it’s a lot less conspicuous as well] so would appreciate any tips/advice. Not a lot for sale either on ebay!
Cheers
Michael
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
There's also the Liquid Image Ego camera which is pretty good (I got one for Christmas)

Not had a chance to use it properly but have done a couple of test videos and it looks quite good. It's cheaper than the gopro but doesn't come with the waterproof casing, which I need to buy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I used my Contour +2 the other week and got on very well with it. It's natually weatherproof so doesn't need a separate housing for use in snow (does come with an underwater housing good to 60m, and recommended if using it with a low mount like attached to the board etc)
Mounting is through a helmet sticky, but the mount has a 360 degree rotating disc on it so you can tune the pitch of the camera up and down very easily. Nicest trick is that the camera can rotate within the casing so you can straighten up the image by rotating the bezel. No onboard viewer but the camera can bluetooth to you phone (used Samsung Galaxy S2) and you can control all the functions of the camera from there, including setting up the aim. It does have a laser built in so you can press the button on the back of the camera and it'll project a line showing the viewed area. One slider button turns the camera on and starts recording, same button stops and turns it off to conserve battery. Very fast coming back to life too, maybe 2 seconds.

Negatives? Not many. Battery life quoted is a bit optimistic, but not bad. Would get a second battery for full days recording. GPS is built into the camera too if you want it (may help battery life to turn it off) and reviewing my footage through their application, it seems that the GPS takes quite a while to get a lock to your position - once its locked then its fine, seems accurate enough. One minor annoyance which is more to do with me than the camera is that Contour have changed their lens bezel from a screw fit to a bayonet fitting, can see why they've done it, but makes fitting a replacement lens cover or adding a filter much more awkward. Will have to wait for them to release a kit like they did for the orginal + and Roam series...

Will chuck some example footage up for review when I get some time to go through it and find something i'm not too ashamed of to share with the wider world.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Yeah, it is an advert, and contains only stuff you could easily find directly, but then you're unlikely to buy from them unless they have the cheapest price, which they won't as it's a uk operation.

Advice on buying POV cameras...

1. The specifications are about as much use as those for Hi-Fi systems. So they're not useless, but they don't tell you how the unit is to use, or how good the output is.
  2. You can't judge quality from the manufacturer's samples. They do a lot of post production on those so they're not what you'll get. Look on Vimeo/ YouTube and see what results people are getting. That's what you'll get.
  3. If you're worried about how you look, learn to ride better, or don't do POV video.
  4. If you're going to buy an off-brand camera, make sure you're happy with it before you do, or you'll just end up buying two cameras.
  5. You don't need any "accessories", which are sold like the stuff they try to sell you with new cars. The cameras work fine as they come.
snow report
I am using the Gopro Hero3 Black edition.
How come no one has mentioned that one? It is really great.
snow report
Also the older Contour Roam is a more basic version without any GPS or other extras, but still with the same shooting clarity. You can pick one up for just over £150, I've had good results with mine although in very bright sunlight the auto white balance can be overwhelmed.

http://www.cyclesurgery.com/pws/UniqueProductKey.ice?ProductID=CCNT000100&gclid=CL7GiaDJkrUCFcbLtAodWXUAOQ
latest report
I just started using Drift 720p and I must say it's been brilliant. Has a screen on the side to set up the picture and a remote control to turn it off and on when needed (which is handy for manageable vids) Only downside is the battery life which gives me half a day on the slopes.
snow report
Gainz wrote:
I just started using Drift 720p and I must say it's been brilliant. Has a screen on the side to set up the picture and a remote control to turn it off and on when needed (which is handy for manageable vids) Only downside is the battery life which gives me half a day on the slopes.
I have had a drift hd 1080p for 2 years now and I must say it's very good. It has a fisheye lense and an optional external mic If you want.
The only draw back I can see is that It records in MOV or quicktime but there are plenty of conversion software online.
You can get replacement batteries on ebay from germany for just £14 each.
Camera is nice and light and mounts on your goggles or helmet. I prefer the goggle mount as I am 6ft 4 so a go-pro would make me nearly 6ft 10
wrist remote is helpful with an audiable beep for on and off.
Again the screen is very helpful for playback and the camera charges and plays back through usb
I have a 32gb class10 in it so I can use it for pics too
Just a warning though, take the battery out when storing or it will drain the Li-ion's too far and you have to replace them
latest report
The contour is on offer on amazon Contour +2 HD Handsfree Action Camera by Contour http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00D740J5W/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_MmCPsb1RTHEY3?tag=amz07b-21
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy