Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Soll, Austria in March.. Any thoughts

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Soll > would it be any good around16th March. Mrs SB and me are "good"intermediates and fancy a change of direction. we have been to Soldeu for the last few years and loved it, but fancy heading off somehwere different. we fancy Soll as there is a big ski area and little or no need for any ski bussing, (which i dont fancy much) we would just like to get up the slope onto a large interlinked mountain of pistes for all day skiing.

dont know why... but i dont fancy France!!

Any views on Soll would be appreciated. Pistes look good and challenging, but would a mid march trip be bad advice as the resort seems quite low when compared to SOldeu (we have skied 2nd week in April there) but looking at teh snow history, there seems no chance of that in SOll, so loking for a mid march break (without kids!!!)

The spas, night skiing and good mountain restaurants are teh things that put Soll in the picture.

any thoughts appreciated...
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Went 2 Soll in late march 2 years ago... was great except ... the snow was very slushy and we were really lucky there had been a fresh dump....

Soll is a long way from the actual lift and can mean a ski bus is the best option. Compared to Soldeau it's a very long walk.... But if your happy with this Soll is great.. what hotel you staying in?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Been to neither, but went to Ellmau (part of Skiwelt same as Soll) and when to Pas de la Casa (same area as Soldeu) in the same year. We enjoyed both areas, but we preferred Skiwelt more.

I think mid March should be fine, I know you can't base everything on one season, but last year we stopped in Soll on our way back from Kitzbuhel on the transfer coach (7th April) - you could ski back down to the bottom lift station even though everything all around was green. They're pretty good at managing the snow. Ski buses in Austria typically work very well too.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Would expect conditions to be great mid-March, obviously no guarantees though.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I do think my experience was extreme... at 9:30am on the last day the temp was +7c at the top of the hohe salve and nearly everyone was skiing in t shirts. It snowed loads in the first 2 days and the rest of the week was sunny but getting hotter as the week went on... all the snow in the dump earlier in the week was gone and the snow at the bottom was pure slush by noon. Even at night it wasn't that cold..

I don't remember the mountain restaurants being bad... I also don't remember them being mindblowing either..

A bit off topic but, For me the best mountain restaurant was in Italy.. (Sauze D'oulx - somewhere down Blue Run 30,53 or red run 33 IIRC). you could see them making the pasta from scratch fresh, not too expensive either, it is my yardstick for all mountains restaurants.. in fact I think Sauze (And Vialattea) has the best selection of Restaurants and cafes on the mountains IMHO compared with other resorts I've been to.

Didn't actually do night skiing or spa in soll so can't comment on them.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
SportBilly, I live just up the road from Söll and have skied there in every month it is open for skiing since I moved into the area 20 years ago. As clarky999 says, there are no guarantees but there is a strong chance of it being excellent as March is tradionally a month where we get plenty of late snow storms. The Austrians rely on the skiing tourist trade for the bulk of their annual income and have excellent piste maintenance skills - if the resort is still open, even in the warmest of weather they will do their level best to maintain a viable skiing area. I am fully expecting to be able to take an afternoon off work and have a few slides in March.

impingu1984, lost quite a lot of street cred with your evaluations there! How do you rate Bulgaria just as a matter of interest? Toofy Grin
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Samerberg Sue, Bulgaria, never been and never will, heard enough horror stories...

I stand by my views on Sauze D'Oulx... the restaurants on the mountain are great... the town and resort as whole are a different matter, OK but not great..

Soll had some great places to eat... just not on the actual mountain in my experience.. my favourite was the Hexenalm... and we just happened to be there in a extremely warm week in March... To be fair considering how warm it was they maintained the snow very well.

Still love Austria going to Zell am See on Saturday, would still go back to Soll. I wouldn't go back to Sauze despite the Mountain Restaurants.. Toofy Grin

Have I backpeddled enough yet? Laughing
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
impingu1984, Hmmmm maybe - have to ask the other Ski Welt fans first though! wink Laughing Laughing
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Samerberg Sue, well if you'll have me back ski welt is a possible for 2014.. however if the price is right I think 2014 will be Saalbach.

Wanted to go to Saalbach for years it's just never been the right deal at the time of booking.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Been to Soll twice in middle of March and snow wasnt great tbh. Still had a great time though. Mountain restaurants were well priced mixture of self-service and served. All good. Extensive skiing too if you can follow the piste map.

The lower beginner areas were pretty bare and the home run to Soll was a bit of nightmare between conditions and countless muppets.

I would always recommend ski storage at Erdinger Sport at the main lift. Last time we had about a mile walk to the lifts and would prefer it anytime to wait and the squeeze onto the ski bus.

Wouldnt hesitate to recommend it, just expect spring conditions.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
SportBilly, I haven't stayed in Soll, but my first trip to the Skiwelt was late March (flew out on 21st I think) staying in Going, and the snow was fantastic that year.

That was the first time I met and skied with Samerberg Sue, in fact.

There was over 50cm at the base, well over 1m of snow at the top, and fresh too. It did get a little slushy at the bottom towards the end of the day, but you usually only ski to the bottom when you are finishing for the day in the Ski Welt generally.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hi SportBilly,
I went to Soll from 16-23 March last year, and the night skiing finished the first night we arrived. The 16 March this year is also the date when the ski pass reduces to off peak price, so you should check the status of the night skiing if you are dead keen on it. as it may be finished for the season. We weren't bothered.
I'm looking to book to Soll for this year again, going on March 16!
I thought the restaurants were pretty good, relatively good value, sunny terraces, traditional music, tasty filling food etc.
On the same week last year they had loads of snow, although it was getting soft (but not slushy) by the afternoon, and on south facing slopes by mid morning.
However, there are slopes facing North, South, East and West, and if you do the lower and south facing ones in the morning, and higher and north in the afternoon the snow was really quite good all day.
They have not got as much snow as last year yet but it is still looking like a reasonable season so far compared with the snow history for the Skiwelt for last 4/5 years, so I expect snow should be fine.
I do fancy France myself, but costing it up at the moment, it'll end up at least 50% dearer than Soll for a couple.
I'm just a beginner but Skiwelt kept me grinning like a village idiot all week last year snowHead
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I've been to Soell 9 or so times, mostly in early March and the snow's generally been pretty good, often with some big dumps. Temperatures can get warm enough to make the runs a little slushy in the afternoon, but even in the worst of years we've always been able to get a full day's skiing in. Lots of good restaurants around the SkiWelt -- you can always find somewhere good to eat!

Back off to Soell on Saturday - can't wait! Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
SportBilly, Spring skiing...what's not to like Very Happy Soll will be fine,as will the majoriy of the area. Sure,home runs may well get slushed in the afternoon. That's to be expected IMO. Embrace it is my advice. People get hung up on perfect conditions. Unless you live there,and can choose,you gotta ski what you find wink I like slush because I've learnt tactics to deal with it. Get yerself some wider planks....and go surfing.
Soll is an excellent choice,as is the Skiwelt in general. Good value,good restos,good skiing. What else do you need ?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks all for your advice, very helpful. We have now booked to go on the 2nd March to Hotel Tyrol in Soll. cant wait. on countdown already!!

Will try SKi lockers at Erdinger at the main lift... thanks Eithnem as the walk back might be better than cramming onto a ski bus. Toofy Grin
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy