Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sizing a board for a kid

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Sorry this must have been done before but I did try the search function...

How do you size a board for a beginner kid please? Chest, chin, nose or what?

Thanks a lot Smile
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
sarah, don't think I've seen any rules for little kids, for pre-teens I've heard that between Clavicle and Chin height is best because of their light weight and they want to jib about having fun. Beyond that . . no idea.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Masque, thanks, that's helpful Smile
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
This probably will be of no use, but saw this on a tweet from Ed Leigh:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/travel/2013/jan/19/snowboarding-children-learning-age-change

I'd like to know how you get on as I have recently begun learning to ski (I normally board!) so that I can ski with my son (currently 2) when he learns. My thinking was that he could start on skis sooner than a board (if he wants to!) - but after this article, meh!

The thing I have found most difficult about skiing- being a beginner again!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
sarah, that's more than I thought it would be Confused Wait for more voices to chip in. snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Steve203rd, Nice article but no mention of sizing.

Masque, Yes that's a start, between clavicle and chin, useful Smile and not many other voices chipping in surprisingly Puzzled
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
sarah, Masques guideline is about right in my experience. I'd also go for a standard cambered board rather than a rockered board or similar. How old is your kid and how tall (roughly)

Steve203rd, also saw that article and was very interested as Sideways_Jnr is 3 and just had his first taste of sliding on snow on skis. He's always said he wants to snowboard like dad but didn't think anywhere would take him. Like you, i'd kind of surrendered to the fact i'll have to learn to ski too to be able to help out with him learning.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
There is one rule and one rule only , nothing to do with where it comes on your body.

A snowboard knows your weight but it doesnt know your height , as your weight effects its performance alot more .

So go on the site for the particualar make of snowboard you wish to buy and if no kids sizing chart e mail them .

As with all the new technology etc within snowboards , you can ride shorter then you used to be etc etc
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
sarah, I have a look at the Burton website that's linked in the article - again no sizing help.

If (when!) little one begins, without talking to a board manufacturer (top idea winterfunman!) I'd be inclined towards Masque suggestion.

Can't wait, more shiny kit!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks all very much.

Richard_Sideways, Thanks, will go with that then. He's just turned 8 and is tall, maybe around 140cm, maybe bit more. He has a board (115 I think) which he used once! He had a private lesson when he was 5 and loved it, so we thought he'd try again the next season and he got a board for christmas/birthday, then he decided that he actually wasn't that interested and stuck with skiing. He's a very good skier and so I think the thought of learning again doesn't appeal Laughing Anyway I am checking about sizing as if the board is definitely too short I might as well sell it, if it's still ok I will hang on to it in case he has a go this season.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yep, its more about weight than height for snowboards think we used this site to narrow things down for Emily and it seems to have come up with suggestions that worked out perfectly for her.
http://www.snowboardsizingguide.com/
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
davkt, thanks by that chart the board is too short by a good bit, but then the chart is not kid specific and I had to estimate from it. Thanks winterfunman I have actually found info on the manufacturers website and he is within the weight range given for the board size on there. It's not the same board as his is a couple of seasons old but it's the equivalent though now with rocker so I hope this is still ok.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Steve203rd, there is a size chart for all of the boards on the Burton site, including the youth/kids ones.

It gives all the details of the board geometry, plus a suggested rider weight range.

Not sure if link will work (cookies/sessions/etc):

http://www.burton.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-Burton_US-Site/default/Product-SizeCharts?pid=276064
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy