Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Day trip to Leysin

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We've just moved out to live in Lausanne, so this was our first trip skiing as many of the Swiss do. Amazed at how easy it was - we love skiing but have never managed more than a week away a year, and often less than that. We generally go with big groups, but stuff like babies/weddings/work etc means it's quite hard to get people together these days, so the last time we went was in St Anton in 2011.

SBB (Swiss Railways) do a "Snow and Rail" deal that includes travel and a ski pass at a reduced rate. You also get discount off rental (still don't have our own kit Embarassed ) but we got a decent deal online. It was only about an hour from our door to the slopes, with a train from Lausanne to Aigle, then up the mountain on a delightful cog train to Leysin. We went to the Endless Ride shop to get our gear, which was very good and took now time at all. A 5-10 minute queue to get the lift pass was the only queue we had all day.

Conditions were great. Very cloudy when we left home, but we were well up above the cloud cover and had sunshine and beautiful blue clouds and sunshine. The ski area is fairly small, but perfect for the day trip. You can't really get lost, so we just wandered from one side of the map to the other. Well groomed, virtually empty slopes and some amazing scenery meant we had a great day getting our ski legs back. There's nothing especially challenging but it would be a great place to go for those who are just starting out and want to build confidence.

There is a bus you can jump on to Les Parchets where there are some more runs, but we had plenty to do where we were. I don't think you would want to spend a week there, but well worth a visit in conjunction with the other resorts in the area.

Hopefully this day trip stuff will be a regular occurrence!!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We skied there just on the first day of our main skiing holiday last year in very very cold conditions. Lovely easy empty slopes though so great for a blast to get ski legs back.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Its all about day tripping. You can also hop easily from Lausanne across to the portes du soleil, via Torgon or Morgins - pretty similar deal with the train, except its a train and bus rather than train and cog railway. Similarly accessible are Glacier 3000 and the 4 valleés. If you feel like something a little different, you can also explore the Jura side, there are some fantastic one day destinations - my personal favourite is La Dole, which you can reach by taking the train to nyon, then the railway to la cure followed by a quick 4 min bus ride (easier to drive, but hey). Super family friendly, and decent variety of runs.

For what you can expect to see....

photo IMG00435-20111224-1043_zpsc51fe7b7.jpg

and

photo IMG00510-20120325-0909_zps2a3cc392.jpg
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Cheers - definitely looking to get a fair few trips in. Thanks for the tips!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I learnt to ski there. Happy memories Very Happy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
^ +1. If I'd known then how much money I'd have spent by now etc etc Toofy Grin

Also had a sneaky day trip there whilst at a conference in Montreux, to see if I could ski the main run from the top without falling every 50 yards, as I had in 1982. Embarassed
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy