Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Buying skis at home or away?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi there,

I was wondering is it cheaper to buy skis at home or whilst you're away? If so, by how much cheaper is it?

Thanks
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
mperrott, welcome to snowheads. snowHead No easy answer. Buying in the UK in an end of season sale will probably be cheaper than buying in a resort shop in high season. Buying in an end of season sale in a big store such as Decathlon or Au Vieux Campeur will probably be cheaper than buying in Snow and Rock in January.

Exchange rate might also have a bearing. Buying in euros is now cheaper for people paid in pounds than it was last year; buying in Swiss francs is expensive. But if you buy in resort and are flying you probably have to pay to bring them home.

Some people have very successfully bought skis from online suppliers in Germany. If you say what you are after you will get some expert advice here (I've never tried the German route).
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi Pam, thanks for your reply!

I'm after some solomon twin tipped skis, obviously with bindings. I may also need a new pair of boots too...
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
mperrott, Depends what you are after, if its mainstrream Salomon, Nordica, Volkl, Blizzard, Head type stuff then German websites in summer is my advice, or potentially S&R sale, but you need to know exactly what you want. If its a more niche brand, eg Whitedot its an independent like Jons Ski Tuning. Its usually pretty hard to get a deal in resort until the end of the season, but mid/ end March you'll find a few decent deals about, and if you are looking for last seasons places like Intersport usually have decent deals in resort. Dont forget bindings spec can be compromised in a shop deal, be pretty wary, those guys in resort know more thaN you/ we do - when it comes to a bundle it may not be all it appears to be when you get home and check out what you bought! Research is key IMO.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Our post crossed, German websites like Sport Conrad and Bittl may do a good deal, and often start sales about now for mainstream Salomon type stuff, then if Snow & Rock do the same model ask for Europen price match is my advice. Dont forget if coming from abroad they will have bindings fitted but will not be set up for your DIN, you can get this done in resort, 10€, 10 mins in most shops. Re boots, fit is key, I'd definitely be buying in resort if it was me, that way any tweaks can be ironed out by quick calls back at the end of each day (have done that with all my boot purchases and have always needed to call back). That said we are all different, and you may choose to buy in UK its up to you but get them fitted properly is my advice. Also i'd advise getting a custom insole fitted £60 well spent over the life of the boot.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
mperrott, I would not buy boots from the internet unless a bootfitter has looked at your feet and told you exactly what you need, it is all too easy to buy the wrong (usually too big) size and shape. They are expensive to send back and forth if you get the wrong type/size. Very Happy
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Wow! Excellent advice to be found here! These german websites are looking to be the best solution Smile thanks guys! And I'll definitely consider buying my boots when I'm out there.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

get them fitted properly is my advice.

absolutely. Be aware that places like snow and rock will not sell you skis without your boots. Same in Decathlon in France - I wanted to buy a super cheap generic pair of skis in their end of season sale, to lend to various friends and relations coming to stay with me. They would not sell me the skis without setting them up for a specific boots and skier, so next time I was going into Albertville I grabbed a middle size sort of boot and took it in and gave them some middle size sort of stats.

Boots are a far more important buy than skis - get them right first, then think about the skis.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pam w wrote:
Quote:

get them fitted properly is my advice.

absolutely. Be aware that places like snow and rock will not sell you skis without your boots. Same in Decathlon in France - I wanted to buy a super cheap generic pair of skis in their end of season sale, to lend to various friends and relations coming to stay with me. They would not sell me the skis without setting them up for a specific boots and skier, so next time I was going into Albertville I grabbed a middle size sort of boot and took it in and gave them some middle size sort of stats.

Boots are a far more important buy than skis - get them right first, then think about the skis.

Excellent, thank you very much Smile
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I have just had new skis delivered by Sport Conrad - very efficient service. OH had new ones from a Spanish outfit - not sure of the name. Both gave us considerably better prices than here in the village, even after haggling. But I wouldn't do it for boots as go to CEM at Bicester for those.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Price isn't everything, if you buy in the resort then you get a chance to try the skis before you buy them (I rejected a pair of X-wing tornado ti after a test ski so saved hundreds of pounds). But the resorts may have very little choice of skis; my son went down to Bourg st maurice to browse the bigger stores there, but for the ultimate in choice and expert advice then space mountain in Grenoble has the largest range of mountaineering equipment I have ever seen.

Of course when you buy has a greater bearing than where you buy. End of season and ex rental can provide some real bargains. I bought my "rock skis" in a resort shop in the summer for less than a weeks rental. However remember that what many people in the UK think as the end of the season is before the real end of the season. I tried to negotiate a deal in Les Menuires at Easter one year only to be politely reminded that the season had another 5 weeks to go.

And then we have exchange rate fluctuations and currency change charges. What looked good a few months ago doesn't look so good now the pound has dropped 5% in value.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
If you buy boots it is important not to be seduced by the comfort of boots which are too big. They must not allow your foot to move - except your toes of course (and remember the liner will soon pack down a little and make them looser). Conversely it is important to be able to take them back after a day of skiing and get a pressure-point blown out. Check that they have the facilities to do that. I solved the latter with my current boots (bought in England) by skiing a few hours in a Snow Dome, then taking them straight back for a small modification.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Tue 22-01-13 12:56; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If you know what you're looking for and a sale comes up then Sportpursuit maybe an option. They currently have a sale for Elan skis.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
As you are from Sotton, check out Snowtrax store near Hurn. They always have some good deals on, more so out of season. Same goes for Edge and Wax in Sussex, out of season. Also had some good deals from Snowtogs, your local store in Milbrook, but they only open certain days in summer. All the skis that I have bought from the above have been at least 40% off retail out of season. They are last seasons skis, but often all that has changed is the graphics/colour.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Surely most boots you buy online will be better than any hire boots you would get in resort? Obviously if it's completely the wrong shape for your feet then you'll probably have to stick them on ebay but you can find a lot of the information on boot sizes online now.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy