Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

British Ski Thief in St Anton

Poster: A snowHead
James the Last wrote:
albinomountainbadger wrote:
You're an idiot, why would someone pretend to be in ski hire? It's hardly glamorous.

Just had a quick look at Meribel (very expensive resort, no?), and for this week (starting tomorrow), pair of 'red' skis via Skimium for 44.10€ with a Decathlon card. Add on the usual early bird or newsletter discounts and it easily drops to 30€.

Just going back to ALPINRESORTS.com, which you mentioned, the cheapest they have for ski hire this week, in Meribel (as opposed to some resort several kilometres away) is €63 - for 6 days.

I hadn't tried skimium (I've never even heard of it). And their sort function is rubbish. But in the interests of truth and reconciliation, rental from Tuesday (tomorrow) until Sunday - so 6 days:

Sports 1600: €50, €67, €79, €89 (no boots)
Hameau Sports: 52, 68, 77, 91 (no boots)
Precision Meribel Centre: 42, 49, 57, 67 (no boots)

The Decathlon discount is worth 10%. So yes, I can see where your €44 comes from, in unfashionable January.

But what about your claims of an 'early bird discount'? Try booking for 14th - 19th April. And suddenly the price is €76, reduced to €69 with the Decathlon card.

Sorry, I don't believe it's possible to get anywhere near €30 unless you prove it.

pam w - yes, that was aimed at you. Smile Only small resort I could think of....

Early bird is pre-season, you idiot.

If you've never heard of Skimium, the skiing wing of Decathlon, I suspect you've never actually skied in Europe and I'm certainly not going to give over shop till journals just to satisfy some smug keyboard-warrior.

And if you can't find an internet terminal in a ski resort, or just GO TO ANOTHER Be Nice please! SHOP, then you're beyond help.

I'm done trying to educate you for tonight, off to bed now (I have to be up early to get out testing a load of 2014 skis and see what we'll order for next year, in Meribel as it happens).

Enjoy your warm feeling of 'victory'.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I use skimium.com, which is all over France, and I have a Decathlon card too, which gives me a 5% discount.

At Easter I am going to be renting no fewer than 11 pairs of skis and boots, plus some extra boots. I have an entire locker full of skis but I can't kit out everyone in a big family party. I intend to get a quote off skimium, for my local ski hire shop, then go in with that to the shop and ask if they can match, or better it.

Does that make sense, albinomountainbadger? I often use the same shop, because it's local to me, I knew the original proprietor, who was a great guy and now that he's retired and sold out to one of the other village ski shops, I know the manager. He's very helpful, will always help with a binding problem etc. whether or not it's one of his skis. He has my repeat custom but I tend not to walk in and pay the rack rate. wink Hence the use of Skimium.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
albinomountainbadger wrote:
[or just GO TO ANOTHER SHOP, then you're beyond help.

Customer service, eh? If your skis are nicked, don't go back to the shop they were nicked from GO TO ANOTHER SHOP.

Oh dear, you might get a bad review on tripadvisor... GO TO ANOTHER SHOP!

I shall certainly be looking at skimium next time I book, thank you for that.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I always thought that ski thieves were stealing skis to sell. Apparently some thieves are simply stealing a pair to use for the week and then they leave them in the resort when they leave the resort. The theft victim was told by the shop that skis are sometimes returned because they are simply left behind, not that that would help the victim.

The victim rented the same make and model of ski that had been stolen and he was on the look out for the stolen ones. The victim had the serial numbers and bar code details of the stolen skis written down and he was carrying them the whole week in case he saw the skis again. Yes it was a long shot that he did find them later in the week.

The thief made up a cock and bull story about accidentally taking the wrong skis. How do you take the wrong skis when they have been split with someone elses and how is it there wasn't another pair of the same make and model left behind.

Thieves can afford to go skiing and if they can steal they will.

Consider taking out the optional insurance to cover ski breakage or loss when you hire skis.

I carry a ski lock and I will now always use it. I didn't always use my lock if I was just nipping for a loo break.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
welshflyer, my theory is that the thief was probably in St Anton for the season working for low wages and a good time and thought he could get away with it, which he did. I cannot see the sense in visiting a resort for a week and stealing skis in this way. He probably thought he was only borrowing the skis because he was planning to leave them in St Anton to be returned to the hire shop. To prove his defence to the police, he would need to produce evidence that he had rented the same make of ski from the same shop. I shall be extra wary from now on. Off to St Anton next month! Might meet him! Hope he doesn't like the skis I will rent.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
stanton wrote:

Rental skis are no good to a Professional Gangs.

They are if the gang is affiliated with the higher shop who just got 250 for a naff pair of worn out skis and then get to do the same again next week to the next guy who doesnt take out insurance!

All sounds like BS to me though
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'd like to see a breakdown of ski thefts by resort. . . . I like looking for patterns. If thefts are in spate the insurance companies will quickly lock down payouts till they have an investigator's report so a hire shop stealing for its own benefit is a doubtful protagonist here. Though hire shops in remote resorts with a limited clientele may benefit from a 'stock replenishment' early in the season . . . snowHead
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Would be surprised if shops stole their own skis back. I know people claim they do this, but I'd wager that most "stolen" skis reunited with their rental shop are down to dim skiers either forgetting where they put them or taking someone else's skis after a few too many sherberts.

Could believe organised gangs half-inching skis to send to lesser resorts in Eastern Europe. The fact that not so long ago someone reported 80pr of skis being pinched from a ski locker room, would suggest this is going on.

For bikes, virtually every single day someone posts an ebay thread for bikes that are clearly nicked. Now it's more likely that the frame (the only traceable component) goes to the metal scrap dealers, and the components go on ebay (untraceable). Can't do that with skis.

One more for the "patterns" thing... what proportion of nicked skis have rental bindings, consumer rail bindings, and conventional drilled+screwed bindings?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Bode Swiller, I agree photo first, follow him back to where he lives, report him to the police. Its irresponsible to allow him to continue especially if he is making a living out of it. I always take my own skis which are worth considerably more than £250 and would probably landed a sucker punch if I was absolutely sure they were my skis. Thats where this tale falls apart how do you spot your "rental skis" amongst the masses, nigh impossible.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
welshflyer, Ah - so a general dimwit - nicked from the bottom of the mountain at the start of the week perhaps? Otherwise more likely he'd lost or had his stolen and thought he could get away with passing on the pain to someone else.

Most seasonnaires have hookups for getting skis on loan for free if they need them.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Spinout, could they be the ones with the stickers on?! wink

The more I read this thread I just find it more unbelievable that the person who'd had skis lifted just walked away, OK yes I get that they didn't want confrontation etc but surely like others have said there's enough people on that bus to ensure it doesn't kick off, speak to the driver for doors lockdown, mobile phone pic etc, then to the police. Not saying there's something fishy here, just maybe a bit odd all this.

I once caught a Aussie guy walking off with my skis towards the lift at Tortin in Verbier, in a pair of trainers, i sat there having a coffee 5m away and he ran up picked them up and ran off with them and my poles......claimed they were his, strange in a pair of trainers I said politely, not!.........needless to say my MP27.5 dented his rear end somewhat and I'd vouch he won't do that again in a hurry, couldn't chase him in ski boots he was off like a flash.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Masque wrote:
If thefts are in spate the insurance companies will quickly lock down payouts till they have an investigator's report so a hire shop stealing for its own benefit is a doubtful protagonist here.

If the hire shop is only "recovering" skis that have been insured with it - rather than with a third party, then they'd be getting the benefit of the excess. But all rather involved to say the least.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Came across an interesting "skis just left" incident Xmas Day. Not particularly epic but still a powder day there were way more people lined up early at the lift than I expected and some muppet had left a whole family's worth of skis which were now in the middle of the line and getting trampled. Bloke eventually turned up to mass derision from the crowd - told to go to back of the queue etc and had to painfully extract all the skis from the crowd while getting earbashing from the missus and whines from the kids. Turned out he's left them on a rack which the lifties had moved when they saw crowd developing but they hadn't bothered moving the skis. Poor bloke, still bet he's more careful about where he leaves them while he goes for a coffee in future.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mate of mine had his new skis removed from mid-point of a Telecabine in 1850, my mate took the set of ski's that were left, which were too short for him to the Police who promptly confiscated them. He never got new ski's back.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
seen a parallel between this thread and one in the Apres

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=96900

seems like the guy who got his skis nicked should have bought them back off the guy who nicked them?

Is this the difference between guys who mostly hang out in the Apres and those who are on the Piste?
snow conditions
Standee wrote:
flangesax wrote:
Quote:

Get insurance next time you hire skis?

Unless you get the insurance direct from the hire shop it still means you have to fork out the face price of the skis and then keep your fingers crossed that your insurance company will pay it... and also make sure you have visited the police, been interviewed for a statement and been issued a crime reference.

simple, get it from the hire shop.

why people scrimp on such minor costs amazes me.

Because it is much cheaper to insure yourself for these very minor losses.

It's mugs like you who make the directors of insurance companies obscenely rich. Why not insure the contents of your fridge, gas cooker, central heating, TV, microwave, mobile phone, the pipe under your house etc etc?? Why not? Because you'd be far better of using the money yourself and coughing up if you need to.

Are you a director of an insurance companY?? Or do you sell extended warranties at Comet?
ski holidays
Jehu wrote:
To prove his defence to the police, he would need to produce evidence that he had rented the same make of ski from the same shop.

No, he doesn't need to. He can still claim he had a pair of ski that looks like it but wasn't paying attention to the fact it was a rental!

The victim knows the skis were separated. However, there's no "proof" of that unless he/she involves other guest as witness. Even then, it's still difficult to prove it beyond any doubt. Whilst the thief will insist he it was not separated and he took the pair together, by mistake.

The only way the thief can be caught (by the law) is if he had done something similar before and already had a record.

I once saw a thief leaving with my belonging and called the police (this was in Canada). The police came and my belongings were retrieved. However, the thief said exactly that! "It was laying on the ground and I took it for safe keeping". I knew it wasn't on the ground (it was in the boot of my car!) and the police believe me. But how to prove it in court was an entirely different matter. I would have to return to Canada to be in court during the trial. It's not really doable. The only difference it made (apart from my getting my things back) was the thief now has a record of "complain" against him, but it's not a conviction.
snow report
Just for the record, a quick example of how discounts accumulate if you book at the right time and with newsletter codes etc. I've seen longer lists of discounts...

snow report
[quote="Jehu"]welshflyer, my theory is that the thief was probably in St Anton for the season working for low wages and a good time and thought he could get away with it, quote]

I would agree with that. They also go around stealing drinks...they think its great to get free beer!
ski holidays
Just to let you know that my hired atomic dble decks were stolen from the Krazy Kangaroo on 16 January 2014. They were tethered with a bike lock so it sounds quite a local job to have the tools to take them and the police said it was the 5th pair stolen from here that week!!
snow report
Very odd story.......can't understand why they didn't want to go to the police regardless of how much action would be taken or at least want some other kind of justice. A trip to a quiet corner of St Anton to dish out some summary justice would have been well in order - ski boots would make a lovely dent in someone's head
ski holidays
My mobile phone has pictures of the serial numbers and barcodes of my two bikes. Never occured to me to do the same for hire skis but i certainly will be from now on.

And I completely believe that I would spot my stolen skis if I stood next to the thief on a bus.

When I was a kid my Dad used to print out a pair of those sticky labels with our names on which we'd stick to our hire skis. And we once had friends whose kids hired some skis in a resort we'd been in earlier in the season and were most amused to find our stickers still on their skis.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Mon 20-01-14 13:46; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
daveyladboy wrote:
I've said it before, I'd do time for my skis.

Big Vern?
snow report
St anton, does the KK no longer have a ski storage facility ( for a couple of € )? They used to do this, but it's been an awful long time since I've gone there, so maybe not any more.
latest report
This is pretty concerning. I'd never concidered that skis may be stolen, guess I'm a bit niave in that respect.

Does this only happen within the bars at the bottom, or does it ever happen on the mountain?

You could hang a pair of dirty underpants on the top (preferably the ones you wore on the plane). Nobody would touch them then.
snow report
dylan32, it happens on the mountain as well. Somebody sees a nice pair of skis and just leaves his old ones behind. Not as often as in the valley though.
snow conditions
I'm back again on Friday 27th Jan (lucky me!) and I'm going to ask some questions to find out more eg is this a hill wide issue or just the KK? I'll also check out any KK locker availability. Hopefully this will provide useful info for Feb and March skiers but my skies were locked when they were stolen!
latest report
Mooserwirt has ski storage (cloakroom type job). Not sure if KK still have theirs (not been in for a while, usually go to taps) but it wasn't a proper lock up type job, it was just a couple of staff members taking your skis, attaching a number to them and then putting them in the roped off area behind them. Any skis or boards there looked easily accessible by walking the other side of the fence (down slope side) and sliding the skis down from behind the staff's backs. In the seasons I've done here I've only heard of skis/boards going AWOL from somewhere other than Taps/KK or Mooserwirt twice. One was somebody playing a joke on a colleague and the other was from outside the Gampen umbrella bar.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
dylan32 wrote:
, guess I'm a bit niave in that respect.

You could hang a pair of dirty underpants on the top (preferably the ones you wore on the plane). Nobody would touch them then.

Don't bet on that, somebody might have them away as well.
snow conditions
stanton wrote:
Im sorry to say this story sounds a bit made up to me

Because people have nothing better to do than come on the internet and lie.

You sad sad little man.
ski holidays
dylan32 wrote:
This is pretty concerning. I'd never concidered that skis may be stolen, guess I'm a bit niave in that respect.

Does this only happen within the bars at the bottom, or does it ever happen on the mountain?

Pornographic stickers on the tips also work.

People are so wankered coming out of the Mooser that it's almost a cert that they'll grab any ski that looks vaguely like their own. Provided they cna remember they've got skis that is.
latest report
Going to St Anton on Saturday but I'm guessing my beloved but mature K2 Recons should be safe?
Is there a business opportunity for self adhesive top sheets to disguise the ski?
snow report
Sounds very much as if Austria has a real crime problem.
snow report
thecramps, really...when this thread is about 1 very large Austrian resort out of hundreds?
snow conditions
holidayloverxx, I was hoping for a bigger bite than that Madeye-Smiley
snow report
thecramps,

Careful, fishing for trolls in a thread about St. Anton. You never know what you might catch Toofy Grin
latest report
musher, Madeye-Smiley
snow report
thecramps, Laughing
latest report
Quote:

Mate of mine had his new skis removed from mid-point of a Telecabine in 1850,

Blimey, did they even have gondolas then Shocked wink
snow report
holidayloverxx, No offence I hope Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy