Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

British Ski Thief in St Anton

Poster: A snowHead
Can afford to go to St. Anton but can't afford to rent skis ??

Unless he's a particularly dense thief. Goes to the effort of tracking and stealing split, heavier model, rental skis with stickers on them (from which he doesn't remove the stickers) rather than some nice, new, high quality unmarked skis of which there would be loads lying around in pairs. And if the shop were only going to charge 250 they were low end skis. Fishy, fishy.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
airbornebadger wrote:
clarky999 wrote:
airbornebadger wrote:
It is very easy to be brave on an internet forum, personally I think your friend did the right thing in not further confronting the thief, although a surreptitiously taken photo would be a bonus.

He DID confront them, not going to the police is pretty lazy actually, and means the thief will probably do it again.

Hence why I used the word 'further', I agree with your point about going to the police, that is why I mentioned taking a photo.

Getting into a fight over a pair of €250 skis (in a foreign country) is simply not worth it. As hypothetically let say you win the fight (in public on a bus), you batter the bloke. As a minimum you will then spend several hours in a police station explaining yourself. Anyone know how you say 'self defense', and 'minimum necessary force' in French? Technically someone nicking your skis is not legal justification for malleting them.

Flip the coin.

You loose the fight, it is not just your ego that takes a pounding you could get quite seriously hurt.

Totally agree.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
andy,
Quote:

€2/day the last time I was offered that. For an insurance that you don't get to read the T+C for, and an insurance that duplicates what you probably already have with the Travel Insurance with wintersports add-on.

Yup. My boyfriend took out hireshop 'gold' insurance and they still tried to charge him a hige excess for stolen snowboard despite there being no mention of that in the exceedingly tiny T&C page you get on the internet when booking hire+insurance.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I always thought hire shop insurance was equivalent to "mind your car mister" money in that there was no actual provision of a service with T&Cs but it just bought an easy life i.e. they won't inspect the skis too closely or nick em back themselves.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Standee wrote:
flangesax wrote:
Quote:

Get insurance next time you hire skis?

Unless you get the insurance direct from the hire shop it still means you have to fork out the face price of the skis and then keep your fingers crossed that your insurance company will pay it... and also make sure you have visited the police, been interviewed for a statement and been issued a crime reference.

simple, get it from the hire shop.

why people scrimp on such minor costs amazes me.

You again. Do must work in the insurance industry that you encourage people to double-insure?

Minor costs?! And have you ever read the small print of what your shop-bought insurance covers anyway?

It bemuses me as to why people spend endless smallish amounts of money on various different types of insurance to cover risks that aren't worth covering, or are otherwise covered elsewhere.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
James the Last wrote:

Minor costs?! And have you ever read the small print of what your shop-bought insurance covers anyway?

It bemuses me as to why people spend endless smallish amounts of money on various different types of insurance to cover risks that aren't worth covering, or are otherwise covered elsewhere.

Indeed and what a large part of the insurance industry relies on, that and the idea that self-insurance is somehow reckless. Protect Your Bubble - how much to insure a phone you'll be throwing away in 12 months anyway?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Can afford to go to St. Anton but can't afford to rent skis

my thoughts were that he might have had his own skis (rental or otherwise) nicked and so nicked someone elses.

If Id had my hire skis nicked then Id carry the paperwork with the bar code on for the rest of the week just incase by some small miracle I thought Id found them somehow.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
People in St Anton have shi-thot gear, who steals crappy hire skis?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
James the Last, not sure if you meant me or someone else... not sure what you mean if it was me though.

I'm just going from experience.
In the 7 years of dealing with the hire shop we recommend, different guests have had 3 claims.
2 'thefts' and one single lost ski.

2 with travel insurance had to pay about €450/500 to the shop and then go to the police to gather the correct paperwork.
Those with the shop's insurance just told them the problem and then that was that.

This maybe a bias example as they shop know and trust me and so would honor a guest's 'claim' of a stolen/taken pair of skis but I guess that is one of the advantages of being our guests!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Nadenoodlee, if everyone in St Anton had poo-poo hot gear then there would be no hire shops in St Anton
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Too many questions, not enough kicking.
A good shoeing, then establish the facts.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Shimmy Alcott wrote:
Nadenoodlee, if everyone in St Anton had poo-poo hot gear then there would be no hire shops in St Anton

Hiring skis is HUGE business & is becoming much more popular in recent years.

Especially for customers who have to fly to get to there resort. With the introduction &rising cost of shipping your equipment on airlines.

You can rent the latest models change them out daily get them tuned for free, free ski depot. There are tons of advantages than owning your own which only have a factory life span of 10 years (or 10 * 1 week holidays ).
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Not what I said at all Shimmy Alcott, my point was there is likely to be a higher proportion of badass skis in St. A than other resorts, so a better choice to nick. Why steal a mondeo when there are shiny bmws?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Nadenoodlee,ah, get you now...maybe hoping he wouldnt be spotted in a bog standard two-a-penny mondeos? Im thinking could possibly be travel agent rep. - cant afford his own skis or maybe had his own nicked?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
On which case he should have been shot for being so last season Shimmy Alcott, wink
ski holidays
I don't think there's anything remotely odd about someone nicking a pair of skis and continuing to use them, it happens every day with cars doesn't it? There are so many people in ski resorts (I often hear that alpine villages from populations in the low hundreds during the autumn to the tens of thousands in the winter) that it's certainly more probable you'd never meet your thief/victim than that you would bump into them.

fatbob wrote:
I always thought hire shop insurance was equivalent to "mind your car mister" money in that there was no actual provision of a service with T&Cs but it just bought an easy life i.e. they won't inspect the skis too closely or nick em back themselves.

Ha, that might happen - I do remember on weekend returns a colleague would never bother looking at skis if the computer flashed up 'insurance paid'.

Generally speaking though, in France at least, shop insurance seems to reduce the price to be paid on the damage or loss of a pair of skis to roughly half it's value. So break a 600€ pair and it costs you 300€. This is known as a 'franchise' which equates to our concept of an excess.

This clearly isn't quite the same as UK insurance model though, which is normally pay a whack more up front and then just a small excess when it goes tits up.

I asked about this and it seems that the problem with the British 'model' is that there's nothing to stop someone hiring an 800€ pair of skis, paying 1.50€ for a day's insurance and then filing a false police report. The only loser is the shop, who will never get back the 500€ or so they paid for the skis. The huge excess is to discourage this.

In my experience French clients never question this but it's always a drama with Brits, so it must be a cultural thing.

French people also seem to have ski insurance cover (and hire car cover) included with any VISA/Mastercard above and including Gold grade, though in this case they pay full whack to replace the ski and then claim back from the bank.

In many cases though, given the possible need for medical repatriation, I hope that British people would have comprehensive holiday insurance (!) meaning they would be better off paying the shop the full value of the skis, getting the correct paperwork in order, and claiming back on their holiday cover later. I've prepared many invoices and letters for people to help with this, the shops shouldn't mind doing so - although not on a weekend transfer day obviously...

This just reminded me of once coming out of a restaurant to find my previously separate skis (at opposite ends of the terrace) had been reunited and left on the ground in ready-to-ski position. I'm guessing I was lucky my thief didn't have the same size feet as me; there's something to be said for having skis drilled instead of using demo rails...
latest report
TBH this has happened to my wife. Her hire ski's got took on the 2nd day. The Italian police gave us a report (google translation on an iPhone snowHead ). On the last day , Once we paid the 250 € to the hire shop we then saw them outside a bar. My heart was pounding when I stole them back. The hire shop then cancelled the credit card bill.

Highlight of the holiday

Laughing

PS the TO was useless, IMO I think they knew they would turn up at the end of the week and were going to split their winnings
ski holidays
albinomountainbadger wrote:
The only loser is the shop, who will never get back the 500€ or so they paid for the skis. The huge excess is to discourage this.

Apart from the fact that they aren't the loser as they're already 1000s of Euro up on their premiums for the week and the skis cost 200Euro tops if they're bulk rental kit. Or they pay the premiums to an underwriter who reimburses them - thought not
snow conditions
fatbob wrote:
The only loser is the shop, who will never get back the 500€ or so they paid for the skis. The huge excess is to discourage this.

Apart from the fact that they aren't the loser as they're already 1000s of Euro up on their premiums for the week and the skis cost 200Euro tops if they're bulk rental kit. Or they pay the premiums to an underwriter who reimburses them - thought not

Sadly, wrong on a few counts:

Firstly, I've been told that no-one will insure ski rental parcs, and interestingly that's the same with rental scooters/mopeds in France, so there isn't a magic policy to claim back on at the end of the season.

Secondly, a pair of beginner skis might only cost 100€ to buy but once you get to the higher levels they have to pay the normal market price - all those slalom skis aren't miraculously cheaper for hire shops, they really do cost over 400€ each.

Thirdly, ski hire can be profitable but not as much as you imagine. Shops only rent all their skis twice every season - first at Christmas, and then during half term. The rest of the season most are just sitting there in the racks, so by February half term you might be skiing on a pair that have only seen a week's use. If we're renting out brand new, upper-intermediate skis and boots for around 70€ for a week (current internet discount prices), losing that pair for only 7€ worth of insurance cash is not really ideal.

Finally, if you buy your insurance online while reserving then the shop might not get any of it as the agency deals with it. It's true that insurance was profitable, but that's the nature of the business isn't it so hardly fair to say 'they can take the hit'? Not having that extra 10% in the till has hurt a lot of shops.
snow report
fatbob wrote:

Sadly, wrong on a few counts:

Firstly, I've been told that no-one will insure ski rental parcs, and interestingly that's the same with rental scooters/mopeds in France, so there isn't a magic policy to claim back on at the end of the season.

Secondly, a pair of beginner skis might only cost 100€ to buy but once you get to the higher levels they have to pay the normal market price - all those slalom skis aren't miraculously cheaper for hire shops, they really do cost over 400€ each.

Thirdly, ski hire can be profitable but not as much as you imagine. Shops only rent all their skis twice every season - first at Christmas, and then during half term. The rest of the season most are just sitting there in the racks, so by February half term you might be skiing on a pair that have only seen a week's use. If we're renting out brand new, upper-intermediate skis and boots for around 70€ for a week (current internet discount prices), losing that pair for only 7€ worth of insurance cash is not really ideal.

Remember we're talking about Austria here - personally I've no idea how the insurance for hire shops differ.

There is also no way they are paying full RRP for the skis (especially the shops that sell as well as hire), the very most they'll be paying is trade (say, between 40% and 60% off? Generally around that for kayaking kit anyway), and probably less than that due to bulk buying. Two weeks hire and they'll be making profit on the skis, though storage/tuning/staffing costs obviously need to be paid too.
ski holidays
clarky999, of course they're paying trade yes, but the skis that you see priced at 800€ cost the shop around 400€ (no VAT in that either). It's still a lot of money to recoup in a season if they only go out twice then get nicked.
snow report
flangesax, directed entirely at Standee (the author of 'minor cost'*) my heartfelt apologies that you thought it might have been directed at you.

albinomountainbadger, Ah, you've fallen for the French propaganda. In the UK, if you - as the hire shop - lose something, you can only ask your customer to replace your actual loss. "They aren't miraculously cheaper for hire shops." But they *are*. Because the hire shop is a retail shop. And they're selling them for, say, €800. So they'll be buying them for €400 (I have no reason to believe that the economics are any different for ski hire in comparison with any other luxury goods shop; indeed given the volumes they may well be able to acquire them more cheaply).

So when the poor punter is required to pay €800 for something the RETAIL price of which is €800 then the shop is pulling a fast one. Moreover, what the shop has lost is a pair of *second hand* skis. So maybe €200. Yet the excess is probably €300 and certainly €200. Loss to the shop: nothing. Indeed, with a third party insurance policy, the shop has made a huge profit.

*which it may well be, but actually it's throwing money away as you're ALREADY insured elsewhere.
ski holidays
Quote:

skis and boots for around 70€ for a week (current internet discount prices), losing that pair for only 7€ worth of insurance cash is not really ideal.

That's a fantastic deal for the shop. They do not lose 1:10, it's more like a handful each season, maybe more like 1:500. Those 7€s really mount up. It's called self insurance.

And they pay way way less than trade (huge buying groups) and they sell them off at the end of the season for around what they cost.
latest report
Quote:

So when the poor punter is required to pay €800 for something the RETAIL price of which is €800 then the shop is pulling a fast one.

James the Last, yes, a complete rogering for the hapless punter who knows no different. It's why it's worth some unscrupulous hire operations nicking back their own skis.

albinomountainbadger, there are more big weeks in a season that just the two you appear to know about.
snow report
Perhaps I write too much, it seems people aren't reading my entire posts before replying to them. I'm under no illusions that shops pays full RRP for their skis.

Even bulk buying and with a negotiated discount through a network such as SkiSet a pair of upper intermediate skis might cost a shop 150€. Those skis can then be rented - with boots - for 70€ a week or without boots for anywhere between 30€ to 50€. So that pair of skis has to do at least three weeks before it is paid for never mind making a profit, and as you say that's even before the other costs of running a business.

Now consider that a shop has bought 80 pairs of new skis to renew their parc - as they are obliged to do in order to remain part of Intersport or whatever - and that some of them might only be rented for half term meaning they just pay for themselves in the first season.

If they get nicked half way through it's a loss to the shop, even more so if you consider it in terms of potential income which has been lost (an average pair might do three years and then get sold on second hand - all that is lost).

For the record, I've worked in ski rental for shops affiliated to Intersport, Sport 2000, Skimium and an independent group.
snow conditions
If we're renting out brand new, upper-intermediate skis and boots for around 70€ for a week (current internet discount prices), losing that pair for only 7€ worth of insurance cash is not really ideal.

Rot. You lose it for €200 of excess as well. (Probably more if they're €800 skis. Last place (Skiset) I hired skis they were €500 if you lost them uninsured, €200 if you lost them insured ('Black'). If the shop paid 50% for the skis, i.e. €250, and it has €70 for the week's hire, plus €15 (wish I could insure for €7!!) insurance then it's already in profit. If it manages to hire its skis out more than once in the year, then it's quids in.

Quote:
Finally, if you buy your insurance online while reserving then the shop might not get any of it as the agency deals with it. It's true that insurance was profitable, but that's the nature of the business isn't it so hardly fair to say 'they can take the hit'? Not having that extra 10% in the till has hurt a lot of shops.

So why do they agree to online rental???!!!!!!!! Get real.
snow conditions
James the Last wrote:

Quote:

Er, it's the future? Sale by volume, obviously! In my current shop over 90% of our trade comes from online reservations, it's needed. Also, if people do not reserve in advance for French half term, they will not get skis. People know this and so go online. Simple really.

James the Last wrote:
If we're renting out brand new, upper-intermediate skis and boots for around 70€ for a week (current internet discount prices), losing that pair for only 7€ worth of insurance cash is not really ideal.

Rot. You lose it for €200 of excess as well. (Probably more if they're €800 skis. Last place (Skiset) I hired skis they were €500 if you lost them uninsured, €200 if you lost them insured ('Black'). If the shop paid 50% for the skis, i.e. €250, and it has €70 for the week's hire, plus €15 (wish I could insure for €7!!) insurance then it's already in profit. If it manages to hire its skis out more than once in the year, then it's quids in.

Great, so the skis I'd calculated might make me a grand over three seasons have got me 250€. My bank manager will be so happy with those cash flow projections we submitted...

I was putting bindings on skis today, brand new skis that have just arrived and will probably only be used for three weeks now. They will not make money this season, it's that simple.

People need to remember this is a business!

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Mon 21-01-13 21:21; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Intermediate skis... Those skis can then be rented - with boots - for 70€ a week or without boots for anywhere between 30€ to 50€. .

What resort are you in? Looking in Areche Beaufort which is the least fashionable place I can think of, they're €50. Where can you rent for €30? In St Anton they're €115.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
James the Last wrote:
Intermediate skis... Those skis can then be rented - with boots - for 70€ a week or without boots for anywhere between 30€ to 50€. .

What resort are you in? Looking in Areche Beaufort which is the least fashionable place I can think of, they're €50. Where can you rent for €30? In St Anton they're €115.

It doesn't matter, go through the resellers. Have you never looked at Alpinresorts? You can even get money off ski hire with Groupon.
snow report
James the Last wrote:

Er, it's the future? Simple really.

OK, you've never heard of irony. I apologise.

Great, so the skis I'd calculated might make me a grand over three seasons have got me 250€.

People need to remember this is a business!

€250 for one week's use, for that one pair in, what, 100? 1,000? that gets nicked in a week. It's a FANTASTIC return. Because your old skis are replaced with a brand new pair, paid for by the punter, who has also paid to rent them, and because his previous rental is deemed by the contract to have terminated when the skis were nicked he also has to pay full shop price (not internet price) for another rental for the rest of the week.

It's a business all right, and one that would never survive if it had to rely on repeat custom.
ski holidays
James the Last wrote:

It doesn't matter, go through the resellers. Have you never looked at ALPINRESORTS? You can even get money off ski hire with Groupon.

These are prices WITH ALPINRESORTS. I repeat my question. Which resorts should I be going to in order to take advantage of your €30 bargains? And how can I get them for a maximum of €50 in St Anton.

I really doubt you are in the ski hire business.
snow report
You're an idiot, why would someone pretend to be in ski hire? It's hardly glamorous.

Just had a quick look at Meribel (very expensive resort, no?), and for this week (starting tomorrow), pair of 'red' skis via Skimium for 44.10€ with a Decathlon card. Add on the usual early bird or newsletter discounts and it easily drops to 30€.
snow report
This is just to add that I have no general problem with the ski rental business:

1. I'm sure rents are high in resorts.
2. It's a highly seasonal business, all profits to be made in a short period of time.
3. There's massive competition.

etc. etc.

However, when it comes to theft of skis, the ski shops rip their customers off - for the reasons stated above.
ski holidays
Quote:

Looking in Areche Beaufort which is the least fashionable place I can think of

It's considered quite cool in some circles, James the Last, wink Last time I was there and stopped for some lunch our downhill skis outside were in a minority, amongst all the gnarly touring gear.
latest report
James the Last wrote:

1. I'm sure rents are high in resorts.
2. It's a highly seasonal business, all profits to be made in a short period of time.
3. There's massive competition.

1. Many of these businesses own their properties outright
2. Yes, then they rent bikes in the summer
3. Yes, normally from themselves. They own the place down the road too, or their brother does. Or they have matey agreements about pricing purely because of point 2.
ski holidays
You're an idiot, why would someone pretend to be in ski hire? It's hardly glamorous.

Just had a quick look at Meribel (very expensive resort, no?), and for this week (starting tomorrow), pair of 'red' skis via Skimium for 44.10€ with a Decathlon card. Add on the usual early bird or newsletter discounts and it easily drops to 30€.

Just going back to Alpinresorts.com, which you mentioned, the cheapest they have for ski hire this week, in Meribel (as opposed to some resort several kilometres away) is €63 - for 6 days.

I hadn't tried skimium (I've never even heard of it). And their sort function is rubbish. But in the interests of truth and reconciliation, rental from Tuesday (tomorrow) until Sunday - so 6 days:

Sports 1600: €50, €67, €79, €89 (no boots)
Hameau Sports: 52, 68, 77, 91 (no boots)
Precision Meribel Centre: 42, 49, 57, 67 (no boots)

The Decathlon discount is worth 10%. So yes, I can see where your €44 comes from, in unfashionable January.

But what about your claims of an 'early bird discount'? Try booking for 14th - 19th April. And suddenly the price is €76, reduced to €69 with the Decathlon card.

Sorry, I don't believe it's possible to get anywhere near €30 unless you prove it.

pam w - yes, that was aimed at you. Smile Only small resort I could think of....

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Mon 21-01-13 21:52; edited 1 time in total
snow report
James the Last wrote:

€250 for one week's use, for that one pair in, what, 100? 1,000? that gets nicked in a week. It's a FANTASTIC return. Because your old skis are replaced with a brand new pair, paid for by the punter, who has also paid to rent them, and because his previous rental is deemed by the contract to have terminated when the skis were nicked he also has to pay full shop price (not internet price) for another rental for the rest of the week.

It's a business all right, and one that would never survive if it had to rely on repeat custom.

Where are you getting this notion of a punter paying new prices for a pair of OLD skis?

Have you ever actually had this experience or have you just read about it in the Daily Mail?

And in this world of such fierce competition and sites such as tripadvisor how could a shop survive by ripping off clients everyday?

I'll break your last points down for the cheap seats:

Our current policy:

If client breaks skis in the best category he pays 600€. THE RRP OF THE SKI IS IRRELEVANT, even the Kastles that retail at 1,200€ (YES, TWICE WHAT YOU PAY IF YOU LOSE THEM)

If the client has insurance at 1.50€ per day he pays 300€. THE RRP OF THE SKI IS IRRELEVANT.

If HOWEVER, the ski is not in its FIRST season these prices are REDUCED by a percentage (I forget by how much but I think it's 15% per season).

NEXT the client leaves the shop, goes on online his iPhone, makes a reservation for the next morning THUS NOT PAYING FULL SHOP PRICE and comes back to GET MORE CHEAP SKIS.
snow report

NEXT the client leaves the shop, goes on online his iPhone, makes a reservation for the next morning THUS NOT PAYING FULL SHOP PRICE and comes back to GET MORE CHEAP SKIS.

You're right. That's customer service. Particularly when it happens in the morning. Well done. Five stars for customer service! Bless you.

Because if he wants some skis for the same day, how much extra will you charge him? And if he has no iPhone?
snow conditions
Quote:

Perhaps I write too much, it seems people aren't reading my entire posts before replying to them

Yep,

I couldn't be bothered reading all that. words words words
snow report

Where are you getting this notion of a punter paying new prices for a pair of OLD skis?

Have you ever actually had this experience or have you just read about it in the Daily Mail?

Yes, friend of mine, and I was there. The second hand value of a pair of skis to a ski rental chain is significantly less than 100% of the retail price. Sorry guys.

Quote:
And in this world of such fierce competition and sites such as tripadvisor how could a shop survive by ripping off clients everyday?

Because these shops don't ever rely on repeat custom. I couldn't tell you a single ski shop I've rented from before 2013.

Quote:
If client breaks skis in the best category he pays 600€. THE RRP OF THE SKI IS IRRELEVANT, even the Kastles that retail at 1,200€ (YES, TWICE WHAT YOU PAY IF YOU LOSE THEM)

Sorry. You're a charity, I apologise for everything above.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy