Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Bending ze knees a little too far

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hornster I know. The exercises you list aren't wrong per se, and clearly your physio thought they were appropriate in helping your rehab. But I'm interested in where the knee-specifity (and more importantly the ski-specifity) lies. Any physios/GPs/physicians out there willing to have a punt at answering this?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Manda, I was told that the quads and hamstrings support the knee and that if the muscles are strong it takes a lot of the strain from the knee. The ligaments give the knee stability but so do these the muscles. All the strength come from the strength of the muscles
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
b]Manda[/b], I can give you a lesson in the mechanics of the human musculoskeletal system if you want that will prove that by keeping the quads, hamstring, calves, ligaments and tendons strong and flexible will in fact result in much stronger knees. In fact, it isn't the knee that gets strong, but rather the muscles, ligaments, tendons that run through the knee joint that reduce the risk of injury if kept in optimum condition.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hornster, don't doubt ya, am just looking (to belabour the point) for the underlying science. I mean, what's the point of a specific training exercise if it's not achieving the aim? Agreed leg exercises have some degree of positive effect on the knees (in the sence you've pointed out, i.e. the muscles and ligaments stablise the knee joint as it moves).

What I'm getting at is that all the exercises you mentioned are just, if not more, relevant vital to my rowing training (and in fact I consider the 90degree squatting IS relevant to rowing bearing in mind the relative knee/bum position during the compression part of a stroke).

But rowing's not skiing. And rowing's not even about the knees to the same degree they are in skiing.

You get my drift?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Manda, The orginal poster asked specifically about exercises to strengthn his knees. I didn't read anything about exercises specific to skiing, if there are any when it comes to knee strength given that a strong knee is a strong knee no matter what sport someone does. I know of rugby players that do exactly them same exercises to prevent knee injury as skiers, mountaineers and athletes in general.

However, if the original poster wanted to know about exercises to help his skiing, then that would have been altogether a different story and nothing to do with knee strength.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I have had two ACl recons on the same knee (football both times) and have recovered from both. Gave up football, but have contiuned with sking. It was impressed on me throughout my rehabs that the knee gets its support from the quads and hamstrings, in fact if these are really developed then you can get away with not having an ACL at all, but i suspect that is true only for the very fittest of people and would require constant strength work to maintain.

I'm interested too know why / how quite a number of skiers have damaged ACL's this summer. They must all be doing something wrong fopr this to happen. Is there a pattern, are ther more this year than last?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
With reference to the original post I would of thought that there are two slightly different problems.

1) Last minute exercises which if done with poor form may cause injury that could be aggravated by skiing (I have a bad back possibly partly as a result of this)

2) A long term exeercise programme that is not well designed and results in muscle imbalance. I would guess it takes a while for such imbalances to develop and they would not develop as a result of a last minute programme. Whether they could result in knee injury I have not the fiantest idea though.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hornster, not trying to wind you up, never have been, but I think you misread the first poster, PG, who wrote:

"My question to the experts would be whether the more vulnerable areas - such as the knees - shouldn't be given special attention in a training regime before setting off on that ski break."

BTW it's common for threads on this site to go "off-topic". It happens. Sometimes the thread fizzles out and on rare occassions it's even been known to return to the original topic! snowHead
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy