Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

SatNav question....

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Seeing that Aer Lingus have cancelled the morning flight to Zurich, for our St Patricks Day trip we're gonna fly to Munich and drive to somewhere (St Anton, Soll, Ellmau...who knows??) What I want to know is, does anyone use their iPhone as a SatNav and does it work with the data roaming turned off??
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
dazman, I do with an app where all needed maps are downloaded in advance, there are a few but most cost a bit. Data roaming charges have generally been lowered following an EU intervention. Mine is £1.99 per day. You might want to check with your provider.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
dazman, turn all data off, then use google maps. I was flying home from Geneva last night and used it when in the air, it still worked 37,000ft up!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Have to ask.Do you have a good reason for not using a SatNav Confused I've used my phone a couple of times(Andriod) and,yes,it works...but it aint a satnav,so lacks a certain amount of functionality IMHO. Save yourself some grief(and expense)....use a satnav to navigate,and your phone to text your mates how good the skiing is wink
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
snowskisnow My Nokia is a full blown sat nav (and for free) - turn by turn, works perfectly and has real-time traffic info..? Works without internet too, but for the £2 a day may as well use it.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
snowskisnow, Depends.. Sygic on my iPhone has more features than my Garmin.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
TomTom for iphone is brilliant - works offline (no live traffic)
Not very expensive either.
My one caveat with all satnav is to ignore their instructions for the last bit up the mountain. They tend to, in my experience, take you up some scary uncleared cart tracks for the last couple of miles if left to their own devices!!!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Navfree is a proper satnav which uses no data. Android and Apple.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
snowskisnow, Simply because all the hire companies want an extra fifty quid off me for the hire of a SatNav...me and the wife both have iPhones, thought I might utillise them....and according to the other posters, that's what I'm gonna do.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
dazman wrote:
snowskisnow, Simply because all the hire companies want an extra fifty quid off me for the hire of a SatNav...me and the wife both have iPhones, thought I might utillise them....and according to the other posters, that's what I'm gonna do.

do you not have a UK sat nav?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'm from Ireland and I drive a Land Cruiser with one built into the dash....
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
dazman wrote:

and how often do you drive abroad in a hire car, for the £50/60 it would cost just buy one and update the maps? IPhone GPS is erratic at best.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
snowskisnow wrote:
Have to ask.Do you have a good reason for not using a SatNav Confused I've used my phone a couple of times(Andriod) and,yes,it works...but it aint a satnav,so lacks a certain amount of functionality IMHO. Save yourself some grief(and expense)....use a satnav to navigate,and your phone to text your mates how good the skiing is wink

You are hardly saving expense if you already have a phone but don't have a dedicated Satnav.

And there are enough different satnav apps that saying "it lacks functionality" is a bit odd.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Standee wrote:
dazman wrote:

and how often do you drive abroad in a hire car, for the £50/60 it would cost just buy one and update the maps? IPhone GPS is erratic at best.

Why spend £50/60 unnecessarily?

OK, my phone is Android, not iPhone, but I haven't found the GPS to be erratic.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Standee, Coming from someone who loves a jar in airport & on the plane....the last time I drove abroad was a sun holiday quite a few years ago, trust me the last thing I want do whilst on me holliers is drive!!...but Aer Lingus new schedule has forced me to do it.

I'm not going to but a SatNav purely for this trip and maybe never use it again, I'd print the directions off using google maps and then back it up with my phone, my original question was "does it work with the data roaming off"....the other posters have suggested certain apps so I'm going to try them.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy