Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

AT boots - Alpine bindings an answer.

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Not necessarily the answer but my answer and its a yes.

Boots. Black diamond Quadrant.
Skis. Liberty Helix with STH 12s.
Skis. K2 Pontoons with Marker Jesters.

After much searching and research I swapped out my Scarpa Hurricanes for a pair of Quadrants, they fit my feet well. I know they aren't everyone's cup of tea but they fit much better and are much stiffer and responsive than the Scarpas. Moulding the liners, which I am equally happy with was simple thanks to a few lbs of rice, a microwave and some thick tights.

I was mildly concerned about the AFD and release issues so did some very unscientific tests with my old boots, the bindings and a bit of brute force applied to see if the new set up would release in the same manner - my very technical conclusion was that approximately the same amount off umph was required to force a release with the quadrants.

On to the skiing, so with the new boots and bindings off to Italy in Mar 12, bindings dropped -1 din as a precaution, a week of family skiing the occasional offpiste foray and plenty of bumps = no.issues.

Cue 2013. Just back from a week+ in les Arcs where I was instructing on an Army Adventurous Trg exercise covering basic to advanced Alpine, off piste skills, bumps and Trees. Conditions covered the spectrum - freshly groomed pistes, chopped up crud, deep(ish) powder, ice, moguls and heavily tracked off piste. Not one single pre release, slip or release issue. The AT boot and STH binding combo worked without issue. Likewise I had no problems with the Jesters, albeit they had considerably less use.

My conclusion. I need new skis. The bindings and boots worked well without issue and will be going on my new skis when I get them. Thinking along the lines of BD Zealots, there is just too much flex in my Helix when charging hard, they are ideal for family holidays but when pushed hard all over the mountain they are just too soft. Perhaps a topic for another thread...

In summary, BD Quadrants work with STH 12s and Marker Jesters.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy