Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Protein Shakes & Energy Bars

Poster: A snowHead
Masque,
Quote:

I don't do hyperbole

Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Pedantica, Shhhhhsh..... Jeeze! Talk about getting labeled rolling eyes

edit: yer a woman . . . you read wrappers . . . Neutral
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Pedantica, I've got to ask . . . just what the fook are you doing up at this time of night? . . . It's not healthy . . . and I'm a bit er... 'thoughtful' ... about that. You're kinda important here.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Masque wrote:
sidlittle, Fook man, I was here(metaphorical) and part of when it started!

Cynicism is the least of my vices . . . but I don't do hyperbole . . . so you may want to think about content to your rebuttal . . . otherwise you just display steroid induced scrotal shrinkage. Go fer it big mun wink

You seem seriously wound up about someone who chooses to supplement extra protein as part of his training. No, I'm not a meat head, I'm training for csia level 3. I eat well, I train hard and I believe natural whey helps me along. The fact I look good too is I guess, neither here nor there. Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
sidlittle wrote:

You seem seriously wound up about someone who chooses to supplement extra protein as part of his training. No, I'm not a meat head, I'm training for csia level 3. I eat well, I train hard and I believe natural whey helps me along. The fact I look good too is I guess, neither here nor there. Madeye-Smiley

I think Masque would be seriously wound up at my SIS 9 energy gels in a race, topped up with SIS energy drink and water.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Om the slopes I like SIS isotonic energy gels, when I get leg burn I find it helps. Just bought a load at Sainsburys 25% off. I also like Dextro Energy 'sweets' for the same reason. I like to give my kids Milka when they're flagging, and find Powerade (sadly made by Coca Cola) works well at quenching thirst and provides a sugary boost.
Don't really like the powders etc, and I'm a sports teacher, but each to their own.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
daveyladboy, dare I enquire what any of those things taste like?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
A friend knows a bit about protein stuff - I might direct him this way... A couple of his posts on protein are here, which may or may not be useful:
http://harefitness.wordpress.com/2012/11/08/protein-a-simple-overview/
http://harefitness.wordpress.com/2013/01/03/sugar-in-protein-shakes/

In terms of calorie use, I used a heartrate monitor a couple of days last week. I'm not a hard core aggressive skier, and it was downhill, but I didn't use THAT much more than normal. Five hours (which includes some breaks, lifts etc) used about 900 calories. As a comparison, I use about 1000 calories doing a 2 hour, 12 mile jog.

(As for supplementing things - after the aforementioned 1000 calorie/2 hour jog, I ended up unable to keep down water or food, and was left hugging a toilet for 30mins. Using energy gel supplements just before, and once while doing it, meant the second time I did this length run, I was totally fine. I don't think it was placebo effect! And a little extra protein does no harm - and if it does some good, hurrah! {In my case, a protein shake post-training is more about fending off a carb binge as than about muscle restoration.})
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Masque, Well a protein / meal replacement bar can sit in a ski / climbing sack for months just for the odd time you get delayed or stuck out. Wouldn't go out of my way to eat one though.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Pedantica
The gels don't taste great at all - I avoid the +caffeine ones, and the carbohydrate ones, which are really nasty. At about £0.80 they're cheap enogh.
The energy sweets are pleasant enough.
Powerade is rather sickly.
Milka tastes fantastic!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Scarpa, When I climbed and walked I always carried emergency/high density foods and even now on the hill I carry an 'energy' bar or two . . . though they invariably end up as unidentifiable plastic foil bags of crumbs to be discovered a year later when cleaning out for the new season. The vast majority of us are in calorie surplus . . . we're a bit podgy . . . we don't need any supplementary nutrition while skiing or doing anything else for that matter. There are caveats to that.

People who have very low body fat do need more regular and frequent eating habits. There's a lot of research into how we respond to 'foods', what is best for us in general and how eating habits influence disease patterns . . . shock loading, continual replenishment, and overload. As far as I know the results so far are ambiguous at best . . . and the waters are muddied by partisan sponsorship of the 'research' rolling eyes

Add to that children, their endocrine systems are still developing they need to grow and be fed more frequently than us lard butts . . . but not every couple of hours or when bitching about it.

sidlittle, I'm not wound up . . . quite the reverse, I'm perfectly happy for you to use supplements to feed your vanity . . . as long as you don't pretend it's more than that. That would just be a bit 'sad' because If you "eat well" the last thing you need is "supplement extra protein" That's you telling us you're spouting shite sweetbuns.

daveyladboy, If you're getting "leg burn" that may have more to do with your technique than your nutrition . . . wink

Our bodies are not designed for constant replenishment . . . the rise in so many diseases that we now consider part of our existence may well be part of the fact that we now eat constantly and constantly eat crap. Most of that crap is in the form of supplements.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
daveyladboy, that was the answer I expected, namely Milka being the only palatable one! Life's too short, imho, to stuff one's face with things that taste horrible!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Masque,
Quote:

Add to that children, their endocrine systems are still developing they need to grow and be fed more frequently than us lard butts . . . but not every couple of hours or when bitching about it.

I am not alone amongst my contemporaries in noticing a rash of parents constantly offering 'snacks' to their toddlers. Confused
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Pedantica, There's nowt wrong with a bit of self indulgence Twisted Evil For some reason I can no longer palate my first love of milk choc. but now crave the darkest of the dark stuff Confused
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Masque wrote:
Pedantica, I've got to ask . . . just what the fook are you doing up at this time of night? . . . It's not healthy . . . and I'm a bit er... 'thoughtful' ... about that. You're kinda important here.
Sleep pattern disrupted recently, but it's not a worry as, being an unemployed layabout, I can catch up as needed. Thanks for asking. (But I am of no importance whatsoever, either here or anywhere else.)
snow report
Pedantica, don't under-estimate how much you'd be missed [we need a friendly hug smilie]
ski holidays
Masque wrote:
Pedantica, There's nowt wrong with a bit of self indulgence Twisted Evil For some reason I can no longer palate my first love of milk choc. but now crave the darkest of the dark stuff Confused
I have come to prefer dark chocolate over the years but, very occasionally, a Twix bar goes down a treat. (Can't manage more than one bite of a Mars bar, though.)
snow report
Masque, too kind. Smile
snow report
Masque wrote:
Pedantica, don't under-estimate how much you'd be missed [we need a friendly hug smilie]

Seconded.

Also - Masque - I think the thing about protein shakes is more timing than actual being best way to get protein. There is a best time post-exercise to eat protein, and lots of people don't have a slab of chicken ready to go in their gym locker etc. (Over symplified.) So it's a lazy but efficient solution.
That said - I mingle with weight lifting types, so might not apply to people in general.
ski holidays
OliviaDB, thank you. Embarassed

Quote:

lots of people don't have a slab of chicken ready to go in their gym locker
Laughing
latest report
Pedantica wrote:
OliviaDB, thank you. Embarassed

Nice people are rarer than nice people realise. Tend to be undervalued most by themselves.
snow report
The BBC programme about sports drinks and supplements is still available on the iPlayer:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01l1yxk/Panorama_The_Truth_About_Sports_Products/
snow report
For low sugar/low GI snacks maybe try oat cakes, unripened bananas and apples as healthy alternatives to processed energy bars should you feel peckish. If you want energy bars, try the Torq range of bars and gels which are all natural and mostly taste good.

Sadly whilst the move from the desk chair to the cold piste makes you hungry, when you consider how little skiing (versus standing, picture taking, drinking, lunching, chairlifting etc) you actually do in a day you don't need much if any additional nutrition during the day or for recovery. Any such regime would also likely be undermined by the night shift activities...

On a somewhat related aside, former Tour de France winner Carlos Sastre used to eat just half a banana on his 180km training rides. He was quite small, though.
snow conditions
Quote:

lots of people don't have a slab of chicken ready to go in their gym locker etc.

beef jerky. I assume it (still) contains protein.

If it goes in my camelbak, it gets eaten in one go by the mid-morning drink stop. So left in the locker might be a better place for a post exercise fix.

Can't comment on the diabetic requirements, but there are already a number in this thread who know an awful lot more than me in that respect.
ski holidays
OliviaDB, Those calorie count machines don't calculate the calories you have used internally, they use simple mechanical measurement equations based on the movement of the machine to give a flat and nonrepresentational guess at what your body has done . . . it really is utter horse pucky.

The effect you experienced is just that you are asking your body to perform outside what it's become accustomed to . . . if you had persevered it would have quickly adapted to the change and would now respond much better. We are animals under our skins, we don't need to constantly replenish. What you went through was a 'withdrawl' reaction. Nasty ain't it
ski holidays
Masque,

My god I'm agreeing with Masque again...I need a holiday. Wait... only 6 sleeps to go Laughing

OliviaDB your body will modify itself as you train with endurance exercise to be better able handle the lack of oxygen in muscles, ATP & lactic conversion etc etc. Basically you get fitter. Perhaps Masque would like to explain the science. I have some work to catch up on. Need to be ready for Saturday snowHead
ski holidays
Talking of TDF winners; I hear that libraries are moving the Lance Armstrong biography to the fiction dept... wink

That's the one snowmum123, there was also some interesting stuff about how during marathon running no-one ever died from de-hydration and yet 11 or so died from over-hydration.
snow conditions
WayneC, I posted a pic confirming that in the LA thread Wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Pedantica, I only get the pumpkin ones for the relatively high protein content. About 20% sugar - eek! But my requirement was to keep it to around 10g. Some of those "healthy breakfast bars" out there come in at around 25g of sugar!
snow report
Masque wrote:
OliviaDB, Those calorie count machines don't calculate the calories you have used internally, they use simple mechanical measurement equations based on the movement of the machine to give a flat and nonrepresentational guess at what your body has done . . . it really is utter horse pucky.

The effect you experienced is just that you are asking your body to perform outside what it's become accustomed to . . . if you had persevered it would have quickly adapted to the change and would now respond much better. We are animals under our skins, we don't need to constantly replenish. What you went through was a 'withdrawl' reaction. Nasty ain't it

The calorie count machine being a garmin heart rate monitor with strap around chest? That's not mechanical but electrical. Still no idea how accurate it is, but don't know of a more accurate measure.

And I don't seem to 'adapt' as you suggest. The same happens at jiu jitsu if I don't very carefully time what I eat beforehand/after. Nothing like running out of the dojo to vomit, then being told off for not reiing off. wink

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Mon 21-01-13 17:17; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
andy wrote:
Quote:

lots of people don't have a slab of chicken ready to go in their gym locker etc.

beef jerky. I assume it (still) contains protein.

If it goes in my camelbak, it gets eaten in one go by the mid-morning drink stop. So left in the locker might be a better place for a post exercise fix.

Can't comment on the diabetic requirements, but there are already a number in this thread who know an awful lot more than me in that respect.

Heh - mine was more a comment on use of protein shakes in gyms, rather than on slope. I tend to ski with people who are quite happy to stop for hot chocolate. Far nicer than a protein shake.
snow report
OliviaDB, yup . . . no more accurate for counting calories than a toddler with a crayon.

Why are you counting calories in the first place?
snow conditions
Masque wrote:
OliviaDB, yup . . . no more accurate for counting calories than a toddler with a crayon.

Interesting.

Nowadays - for curiousity. In the past when I was dieting, as too weak willed just to eat properly - easier to eat less and allow some crap. Now I'm resigned to being the lightest heavy weight, rather than heaviest middle weight.
latest report
Masque wrote:

Hmm. http://www.livestrong.com/article/305560-the-accuracy-of-heart-rate-monitors-for-calories/

So variance of up to 13%. On 1000, could be as wrong as 130... That's accurate enough for me, considering I'm only looking for interest and rough overall usage, and not doing exact calorie counting or testing for any overall scientific purpose.
snow conditions
OliviaDB, 6-13% in athletes, not squishy tech fashion victims wink
Quote:
I'm only looking for interest and rough overall usage
why? That only drives angst and poor self image.

I was given some advice a few years ago (that I've not always lived to Embarassed ) 'Don't eat when you first feel hungry; Stop eating when the plate is half empty'. (doggy bag time)

Most of us are in calorie surplus and most of us could lose a lot of surplus without dropping below the 'slightly pudgy you'll live longer' point so stop counting and just think about what and how you eat. If you want to measure your performance just use a clock for time, a weight for measure or a chalkmark on a lampost for distance.
snow report
Masque wrote:
OliviaDB, 6-13% in athletes, not squishy tech fashion victims wink
Quote:
I'm only looking for interest and rough overall usage
why? That only drives angst and poor self image.

I was given some advice a few years ago (that I've not always lived to Embarassed ) 'Don't eat when you first feel hungry; Stop eating when the plate is half empty'. (doggy bag time)

Most of us are in calorie surplus and most of us could lose a lot of surplus without dropping below the 'slightly pudgy you'll live longer' point so stop counting and just think about what and how you eat. If you want to measure your performance just use a clock for time, a weight for measure or a chalkmark on a lampost for distance.

Why should the variance be any difference depending on the type of person? And under my squish I have abs of steel. HA!

Angst and poor self-esteem? Na - I'm fabulous, at least looks wise. I might suck in other ways, but only if you pay enough. ... ... (Actually, the fatter I get, the more appreciation I get - but I can't make the sacrifice of fitness. Sob. It's a hard life etc etc.) Genuine curiosity, perhaps driven by awareness I eat a lot less well than I should, but somehow am not as ... unfit as friends who are on apparently healthy diets. Trying to work out whether I have an under efficient body, or they're just lying. Razz And I LOVE gadgets.

Actually - thought the pudgy thing was a new 'finding'. Fairly certain there's also a 'slightly underweight' and you'll live longer finding, too. (Though maybe that was just rats?)

Edit: This is interesting. To me. http://www.wired.com/playbook/2012/08/fitness-trackers/
latest report
OliviaDB, I like winding up the spring and watching heads explode Twisted Evil The reality is 'whatever floats your boat' but don't regurgitate all the bullѕhit that surrounds most of it. The majority of us eat a poor diet in absolute terms and that does mean we alter our life cycle . . . that includes bulking up with processed protein, 30 years down the road it may not have been the best path to follow. People can have substantially different efficiency in how they process food and access energy so why use a flat measurement tool.

Gadgets are fun but don't put any more faith in them than as just that . . . it's like GPS, when the batteries run out a map, compass and passing knowledge of astronomy will always get you home.

Aud Skool Rools Twisted Evil
snow conditions
Masque wrote:
OliviaDB, I like winding up the spring and watching heads explode Twisted Evil The reality is 'whatever floats your boat' but don't regurgitate all the bullѕhit that surrounds most of it. The majority of us eat a poor diet in absolute terms and that does mean we alter our life cycle . . . that includes bulking up with processed protein, 30 years down the road it may not have been the best path to follow. People can have substantially different efficiency in how they process food and access energy so why use a flat measurement tool.

Gadgets are fun but don't put any more faith in them than as just that . . . it's like GPS, when the batteries run out a map, compass and passing knowledge of astronomy will always get you home.

Aud Skool Rools Twisted Evil

Apparently I'm cracked. This means that excess brain pressure simply escapes. You wind futily - I cannae explode. (One day your car goes boom! *BOOM*) I respond with joy and fascination, and if persuaded I'm in the wrong (I'm never wrong), learn. I like knowing stuff.

I don't think I do regurg bull - my comments were very specific. Though perhaps not clearly so? I doubt any skier outside of professional competitive skiers needs protein supp of any kind. Unless for some reason they're under proteined. I met a vegan who was, but he was/is also a dietary idiot. (You can be a healthy vegan. Though why anyone would want to is beyond me.) Protein shakes have their place - but it's very limited, and it's a place of convenience, and can be matched by careful 'normal' eating.
(Also, you can make stuff that's just as good (protein wise) and tastes a lot nicer with milk and cocoa. Cheaper too.) But unless you're doing pretty vigorous exercise of a specific kind, they aren't necessary.

When I get lost I ask a nice man, preferably in uniform. So long as it's a good uniform.
snow report
If you are looking for a good protein shake, don't forget to get a good shaker too in order to benefit of all the nutrients of your shake. I use a Shakesphere Shaker and I can say it's very surprising how it mix so well only by means of not having corners.
ski holidays
@cyberil, Precision Whey protein, vanilla flavour, always a good deal on at Holland and Barrett, mixes easily and tastes Ok, the Belgium chocolate is a terrible taste though!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy