Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Oz en oisans

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
hi guys

first post on snowheads here. hope its the right place.

right. i need some advice.

i am shortly going skiing to alpes d'huez area. i cant wait. ive been skiing a couple of times before and can handle most reds and some blacks so im sorted. However, the girlfriend is maybe coming along and shes a relative newbie - she can do the easier blues but doesnt yet have the confidence to do a red. i think shes more than ready to do them as shes perfectly competent. i found the fear associated with doing my first red purely psychological.

regardless, im not going to push her to do something she doesnt want to do. she is also very tired at the end of a days skiing and, given she doesnt have the manly man slabs of muscle that are my thighs *COUGH COUGH HACK COUGH*, she finds it difficult to keep going in the late afternoon and generally wants a direct and easy route home to where the wine is kept.

so these two factors pose some difficulty for us. ill explain:

please see the piste map here: http://www.snow-forecast.com/pistemaps/Alpe-d-Huez_pistemap_full.jpg

we are staying in oz en oisans and would like to do the runs in the alpes d'huez "bowl" a lot of the time. at the end of the day, well need to head back to oz en oisans via the 'Signal' station and descend using the blue run named Champclotury or the red runs named Poutran \ L'Olmets.

so my questions are:

a) could anyone tell me from their experiences of the areas if Champclotury is an easy blue?;
b) are the Poutran \ L'Olmets reds easy reds?; and
c) if all else fails, are we allowed to descend into oz en oisans using the telecabins named Poutrans I and Poutrans II? I know you are not allowed to descend in chair lifts for whatever reason but what about telecabins?

Any help would be kick ass. Thank you all in advance!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Pretty sure you can descend using those telecabins, not done it in winter but we have in the summer. The runs around the bowl at AdH are very easy so shouldn't tire your GF out too much. But I found there to be quite a jump between these runs and the blues/reds (I'm a lot more competent now so need to go back and tackle these again).

Silly question, but what does your GF eat at lunch? Might be worth finding things that help boost the energy levels quickly to breathe a bit of life back into weary limbs.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
gadget83, Welcome to Snowheads. This is my daughter on one of the runs down to Oz last time we went in 2008. I think this must be the red as we used to come across from Bergers to access it, it's fairly steep as you can see. We're there in 3 weeks time, the first time since then.

Alpe D'Huez Easter 2008
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I would say the blue is ok until it joins the red, then there is a tough 200m or so. I have taken the bubble down (from Alpette as well) - I wouldnt worry about that in Oz its known to be quite tough fo rtimid intermediates. I would say that the Aplette - to Montfrais blues are really good easy blues -there is a lovely mountain hut (les airelles) just above montfrais built into the cave with fantastic deserts - might help with the energy levels
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Champclotury is usually fairly easy - but - as Wildsmith says, it joins a red (the Alpette). The last 200 m is often unpleasant. The snow is often hard and scratchy - and frequently busy. Not good if confidence is an issue.

The Olmet red is unpleasant. Doesn`t get much sun. Relatively narrow. Frequently hard/icy - definitely one not to take a timid intermediate down (Serge and Marie`s restaurant half way down is worth a visit, though).

You can descend to Oz via the Alpette or the Poutran lifts. Lots of people do. It`s usually my preferred option - especially if I`m knackered or the snow is poor.

Incidentally - to get to the ADH `bowl` - just take the Poutran lift from Oz and you will be there. You don`t go anywhere near the Signal. To return to Oz - catch the DMC up to the 1st stop (or catch one of the long drags) and download on the Poutran. Oz is actually very good for the bowl - generally no (or small) queues - not the case if you`re approaching from ADH.

I think your g/f will love the greens above ADH. They are the best in Europe. As Wildsmith said - the run down to Montfrais is also good for the cautious intermediate.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
gadget83, welcome to Snowheads. snowHead Sounds like it might be a good idea for your GF to have a couple of private lessons, maybe on day 1 and day 3, to help her consolidate the skills needed to ski the harder runs more confidently. It's not just about fear.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy