Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

2 skis in one skibag - is this ok?

Poster: A snowHead
As above,

Going to Niseko (whoop!) and the lufthansa quoted us $150 each way per person for skis!!! Do airlines generally have an issue if you put more than one set of skis in a skibag or is it just the overall size and weight that counts? Has anyone had any issues when taking 2 pairs of skis in one bag?

Thanks.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Two pairs are fine - stuff as much as you possibly can in (salopettes/jacket/etc too).
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I always take 2 snowboards in one bag. I've never been stopped, leaving from Gatwick, Bristol and Dublin. They always ask "Just one set of skis or board?" and I reply "Just the one bag, that's right." On the flights I've taken the rules have usually been one pair of skis or board per bag,check what your terms are, wether you take the punt is up to you.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sun 20-01-13 14:10; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I was stopped on a charter flight and made to pay more at check in. It was most annoying as I'd told the travel company it was two pairs in one bag and had been charged for one pair. I don't risk it now.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
At least....

Lufthansa have obviously changed their rules as they were free from the UK two years ago.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
It depends on the basis of the carriage. As examples, in Easyjet's case, they charge for the bag and provide a weight limit. Whatever sports equipment you then put in the bag is up to you - 1 or two pairs is irrelevant. In Swiss' case, they carry the skis for free, in addition to your normal luggage allowance, so impose a limit of one set of skis. I don't know what Lufthansa's basis is - so check your T&Cs - but if they have given you a weight limit I would say you're fine provided you sit within that limit.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Just be aware if they go missing that you may only be able to claim for the one pair.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We were told 12kg by Monarch for ski and snowboard bags .
Totaly different to flying to Japan i know , but that is there weight limit .
In fact my mate had 21kg in his bag , and it didnt get surcharged , just an orange 'heavy' sticker stuck on it
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
No problem (have done it loads and never even been asked what is in there) having 2 pairs and all my other gear in my coffin bag on Easyjet heading out the alps this weekend
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Flew with them from the States last winter (by accident . . . missed connection) and I had a shedload of kit in my bag inc. 2pairs. The flight was arranged by my first provider but Luft' didn't bat an eyelid with the hernia my bag was. Didn't even weigh it. $150 ea. way seems excessive. I think if your skibag is not an obvious mass transport device, I'd run with 2 in one bag.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I also always strapped two pair of skis, each in its own bag, in one luggage. In a recent visit to Vermont USA in 2010 I was challenged as the handler, in USA, complained I should sent in two different bags because I have two bags physically tied together by strings and she wanted to strings to be cut or removed. She eventually let me passed. The bottom line is to let the airline to charge each bag separately or get one bag large enough for two pairs of skis.

No problem for my trip to Niseko though but it was in 2008 at the time when the airlines were more friendly to oversize luggage.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
saikee, airlines . . . friendly . . . airlines . . . friendly . . . sorry, still can't figure out how to use those words in the same sentence without wetting m'sen rolling eyes
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Masque,

So far in my skiing I flew with the regular airlines only and had never used a TO or a package deal. Thus I can still find some regular airlines friendly to over size luggage. Never to have pay for the skis transportation yet. The charge in USA domestic flights was per luggage as there is no free allowance at all (every piece of luggage has to be paid for individually and so whether it is a pair of oversized skis is immaterial).

In the past when the counter attendant saw my skis he/she would ask me to take it to the oversize counter and no charge was involved. Nowadays the attendant would weigh it first, to see if my overall allowance exceeded, before sending me to the oversized counter.

May be it was a few years back in 2006 my brother's family in Norway joined me to ski in St Anton. Their skies were misplaced so they arrived without them. The airline delivered the missing skis from Munich to St Anton even before we set off to ski in the morning so he didn't missed a single day.

Thus I have seen some friendly airlines in my time.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
saikee, The last two years have seen some significant changes in behavior and attitude over here . . . happy smiling faces are sadly rare. 10 flights in the last two and only one went without something going sour. Evil or Very Mad I do try my best to stay cheerful but I'm dreading booking my next trip.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
agd, If you check the conditions of most carriers,they generally say 'should' contain one set. And many say that there 'should' be no other items. As you can see from the above,most generally ignore these rules...inc me wink I often travel with three sets however,now my daughters skis have grown somewhat,I have gone down the 'quiver killer' route,simply because of weight!
Mind you,this has brought about a new problem...bindings in hand luggage.Passing through security has become a bit of an adventure,as I now get stopped every time(strange metal objects on scanner!!!). Well,I do on the UK side. Coming back,I still get a look from the security guys,but I then say 'ski bindings',and they just wave me on...every time so far Laughing The last trip was the best so far(Austria). Got stopped,as expected,two Police came over to look at scanner...and were intrigued as to how I had loose bindings. Found myself explaining the benefits of quiver killer inserts in the middle of Saltzburg airport Laughing

In short,two pairs not a problem.If anything should happen(which is highly unlikely)...consider it very bad luck Sad
snow report
Thanks guys. Think I'll just go for it. Little Angel
latest report
I cram my bag full, skis, pole, boots, jackets, sallow, apres boots and more. To me its all protection for my planks.
ski holidays
agd, We've only used/paid for one ski bag for our two pairs of skis on every charter/scheduled filight we've ever taken to go skiing.

Never been picked up for it yet in over 30 trips - just be confident, and remember that they will weigh it at the check in desk, but then only the airport services (usually at the oversize bag drop) may ask you to open it up - but that only happens AFTER you've checked in and got your boarding cards/luggage tags and by then they don't care about the weight or whether there's two pairs in there or not!

Be calm............. snowHead
latest report
Easy jet,Ryan air,Thomas Cook I have been doing it to them all for years,but I can take the bindings off easily and pack them in a single bag with nothing else in to keep the check in staffs suspicion down.I'm in Niseko now,make the 2nd set the 130mm underfoot pair that your mate owns (you know the one you rightly rip the *iss out of in Europe every year) they deserve to be here its there natural habitat. My 100mm underfoot jobbies look like special slalom ski's on the slopes!!
snow report
Quote:

Going to Niseko (whoop!) and the lufthansa quoted us $150 each way per person for skis!!!

Wow! How long you going for? You can presumably rent some pretty good skis for $300.
ski holidays
adventureontheriverbank wrote:
Easy jet,Ryan air,Thomas Cook I have been doing it to them all for years,but I can take the bindings off easily and pack them in a single bag with nothing else in to keep the check in staffs suspicion down.I'm in Niseko now,make the 2nd set the 130mm underfoot pair that your mate owns (you know the one you rightly rip the *iss out of in Europe every year) they deserve to be here its there natural habitat. My 100mm underfoot jobbies look like special slalom ski's on the slopes!!

I've got bacons (108mm) which I'm hoping will be ok. I do get funny looks for them in europe sometimes. Smile

pam w wrote:
Quote:

Going to Niseko (whoop!) and the lufthansa quoted us $150 each way per person for skis!!!

Wow! How long you going for? You can presumably rent some pretty good skis for $300.

Going for 8 days. From what I can tell, decent powder ski hire in niseko is very expensive compared to europe. Otherwise I'd definitely just hire out there.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy