Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

looking for advice on buying second hand/ or "inexpensive" skis

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Just recently found this site, and been ploughing (to excuse the pun) through threads -- much to my wife's chagrin!

I'm looking to upgrade my skis. I bought some 'ex-rental' salomon scramblers some 4-5 years ago, just after I'd started learning -- they were very inexpensive. And, whether or not that was a good idea, they've accompanied me on improving my skiing. I'm definitely a 'recreational' skiier - only manage a week a year. But I do prefer to own my own kit -- saves the hassle of standing in rental lines for one. I have boots that I'm reasonably happy with, although will eventually need to upgrade those aswell.

In terms of ability: despite being a Brit, I've only ever skiied (?sp) in the US (and China!) and can manage pretty much all blue runs, but don't really venture into the black as yet. I don't go into powder or off-piste really.

My current skis are too short -- I'm 172cm, and mine are 160cm -- which was the right decision when I bought them, but probably need to get something a bit longer now. I'm looking to spend under GBP200.

I've looked at "skiwearforless" -- but their skis are either too short, or for beginners in my price range. I've just noticed that some "Atomic Drive 7s" are being advertised on the buy/sell board, and they seem to be the sort of thing I'm looking for -- am I right?

Although I'm not UK based, I'm coming for a trip back to Blightly in a couple of weeks, and can pack my ski-bag on the off-chance I'll find something to take back with me.

Any advice to offer would be most appreciated,

tb
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Not sure if these would be any good to you.
I Have a pair of Salomon Scrambler Hots with the S912TI easy adjust bindings for sale, 166cm length, I think they are a 2006 model with a retail price of £450
I had a pair as Advanced hire ski's in 2007 and loved them so managed to buy these new in 2008 ( at a much reduced price),
I have skied them 5 weeks now and think it's time to move on. I am about 178cm and found these good for me. they where waxed and edged before the last trip,

I will take £80 as they are, or I can get them waxed and edged again for £10 more.

Regards Mike
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for the post Mike. Not sure scrambler hot are what I'm after since they seem to be made for skiiers that are better than me. Can't argue with the price though! I now realise there are a bunch of scramblers out there, and I think mine are scrambler 400 s -- not really in the same league, but I'm new to all this, not having thought about it much until a few days ago.

I saw these reduced online, which seem to be aimed more for the improving intermediate skiier. The price seems reasonable for a new pair of skis...any thoughts?

http://buy-ski.glisshop.co.uk/pack_ski/head/icon_tt_300_pr_10_solid_black_silver-25601.html
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
ive got a pair of rossignol scratch skis 169cm on ebay for £70 starting price Very Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Really appreciate all the kind offers of off-loading old ski gear -- although not sure if the particular skis are what I'm after - especially the freestyle skis!

Although it might involve me buying someone else's stuff, would be very grateful for comments on the two particular skis I've mentioned in my posts -- am I barking completely up the wrong tree?

tb
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
trueblu, It really might be worth your while demoing on your next ski trip, find a rental shop that will let you try different models. Then if you fall in love with a deal you can usually get all your rental knocked off the price, or just make a shortlist and see what deals are available at the end of the season. I did that years ago and got some half price Rossi B2 ordered from Scotland.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks Scarpa. I always thought that demo rentals were for advanced+ skiiers -- and the skis tend to cost thousands, am I wrong? And this year's trip is to Whistler -- in mid-March, which is nowhere near the end of the season for them (it's actually a work trip, but hope to get several days on the slopes), so I doubt they will be desparate to off-load their stuff in a special deal.

I live in Beijing -- and the only market for skiiing is the rapidly expanding affluent middle class, so there is absolutely no incentive for big discounts, or for good second hand deals. Hence if I'm going to get new skis this year (and would love to for the Whistler trip), it's going to have to happen this feb for my UK trip.

Btw, I am now definitely getting the impression that the atomic or head icon skis I've identified above are unsuitable, since other posters seem very reluctant to comment on them...

tb
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy