Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Easyjet and ski boots

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Easyjet would not allow our boots as hand luggage on our recent trip to Geneva (either leg of the journey) but allowed them in the hold FOC. Is this a standard policy with them now?

Hoping to go back out later in the season and it would be useful to know in advance.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ah..the good ole boots in the cabin question. If you check the EJ terms and conditions,they now consider 'boots and skis' as one item of sporting equipment...given that you have paid the extra for sporting goods? If you didn't,you were lucky not to be charged...though its a bit odd(if you did not pay),that they did it both ways Confused
I've long since given up trying to second guess what might happen at checkin...esp with the likes of Easyjet. I generally follow the T&C to the letter,and utter a prayer as I approach the checkin desk. Mind you,I recently flew out with Thompson Air to Austria,and saw no sign they were checking anything,esp baggage weights!
We were all well over on the return..not even a blink!
And,for the avoidance of doubt,NO AIRLINE that I am aware of will knowingly allow boots in the cabin.Yes,I know some will claim they got away with it.If so,either the checkin staff missed seeing them...or they were lucky? I view trusting to luck,with airlines anyway,as a risky stratagy wink
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I guess I didn't read the T&Cs well enough. Mind you, I always get bored half way through.... And no, I didn't pay extra for equipment. I didn't take my skis this time and thought the boots would go in the cabin as they have in the past (although I think they didn't last year).

The fact that they put them in the hold FOC was a surprise, and readily offered to all comers. That meant we went on with no hand luggage, which was weight limit free anyway, so didn't infringe any limits.

Odd; not sure what to expect next time. No point paying extra for sporting equipment if I don't take skis, but would prefer the boots to go through in a boot bag rather than the suitcase. But I don't want to risk them being kicked back as a second bag and so charged extra.

I think a call in advance might be sensible...
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
t40ora wrote:
I think a call in advance might be sensible...

You might think so,but I doubt it? Usually such enquiries result in a quote of T&C's which,in your case,is either paying for sporting goods,or a second bag!!Quite why they were happily allowing boot bags FOC(with no ski payment)will most probably remain a mystery?
Easyjet are infamous for appying random decisions at checkin,which has caused no end of confusion on here over the years Confused If you check their site,its all pretty clear(they even have a diagram to explain it)...but clearly,as in your case,what they say is not always what they actually do!!

Glad we've cleared that one up Confused Laughing
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
snowskisnow wrote:

And,for the avoidance of doubt,NO AIRLINE that I am aware of will knowingly allow boots in the cabin.Yes,I know some will claim they got away with it.If so,either the checkin staff missed seeing them...or they were lucky? I view trusting to luck,with airlines anyway,as a risky stratagy wink

I just flew from Hong Kong to San Francisco and back on Cathay Pacific. Cathay Pacific have no problem with ski boots as hand luggage in the cabin.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
There is a definite policy thing going on; both at Geneva and Bournemouth they offered the service, and not just to us. But information on the policy may be difficult..... Hmm, I will see if there is a back-door way to talk to the guys and girls at check-in at Bournemouth.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Wouldn't be surprised if it was to reduce the volume of gear going into overhead lockers. I've been on quite a few Easyjet flights where gate staff are offering to put carry on bags in the hold for free as they judge there is too much to fit in the lockers. Also cabin crew asking people to put coats, small bags etc under seats to free up locker space.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
t40ora, How did they know you had ski boots in hand luggage? Were they in boot bags (so easy to identify)?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Liverpool to Geneva on Tuesday, i saw 4 people with ski boot bags in their hands boarding the plane. to my knowledge, nothing was said.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yeah, boot bags. I was happy to have them in the hold and would like that next time out. Effectively 30kg plus hold luggage allowance, and just carry on a bottle of water and a book. But I don't want to get caught out by expecting them to accept the boot bags as hold luggage without additional cost, and finding that I either have to cough up for extra bags or have to move stuff around to get the boots in the suitcase and load 6kg worth of stuff into the boot bags!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
DJL wrote:
Wouldn't be surprised if it was to reduce the volume of gear going into overhead lockers. I've been on quite a few Easyjet flights where gate staff are offering to put carry on bags in the hold for free as they judge there is too much to fit in the lockers. Also cabin crew asking people to put coats, small bags etc under seats to free up locker space.

I suspect that this may be as close to the truth as you are likely to get? However,if its an 'ad hoc' guidance rule,applied only as and when required,you cant rely on it for every flight...its down to chance Confused
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy