Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Another "My feet hurt" post! :(

Poster: A snowHead
Hey guys, I bet you are sick of these kind of forum posts but I am a bit desperate for some help lol!

I had some problems with some solamon boots I bought about 3 years ago (new+fitted). They were somewhat comfortable but I found myself constantly getting pain on the lateral side of my foot, mostly on my right foot but it usually happens on both.

I couldn't take it any more and put it down to a poorly fitted boot, I went to snow+rock in newcastle and I was told the boot I had been given was the wrong shape (fairly narrow and I have broad feet) and also too big. In the end I went with a smaller atomic boot that was a much wider fit and was only 2 buckles not 4.

I still feel like I am having the same problems and dont know what to do. I have had a rigid foot bed put in and I have a fairly high arched foot.

Questions:

1. If I put some boots on in my bedroom and put them on fairly loose, too loose to ski but the buckles are still done up, should I be able to sit in them without pain? I just tried this and my left foot has an ache right down the middle of my foot after about 10 minutes, this shouldnt happen should it?

2. What is a common cause of pain on the lateral side of your feet?

3. Could this possibly be "summer foot" or whatever it is called, where you have not worn them enough so your muscles are weak?

4. I was wondering if its something to do with a blood supply because the boots are too tight, wearing them while walking around the house I got loads of tingling feelings going exactly where your dorsalis pedis runs, and that to me just screams a lack of blood.

Any ideas or suggestions would be amazing. I am going to the shop this afternoon to see what can be done.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sainter, sounds as though something is wrong. My only suggestion is that you go to a really good bootfitter (which Snow and Rock might not have). If you are anywhere near CEM in Bicester, you can't go wrong there, but if you are in the north, there are some good people there too. Get a personal recommendation.

With some kinds of feet you won't get a boot to fit "off the shelf", you might need to get them made to measure. If that's the case, CEM will tell you (just happened to a friend of mine, who he sent to get Daleboots). But many places will just sell you yet another boot which won't do the job.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
i'm not expert but i would say that while boots need to be really snug you shouldnt be getting tingling sensations (like mild pins and needles?) that would suggest they are too tight. Have you tried your current boots with a thinner ski sock?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Had my new boots on for the first time yesterday.
They are ordered for the job high-end custom foam injected liner ones from one of the best boot guys around here; they were fairly painful to make and *&*! did my feet hurt skiing in them (until they went completely numb! Madeye-Smiley ).
Though I can't say I particularly like all the pain part, I think you'd have to be super lucky to get a good performing boot and not have any issues requiring some customisation and at least some tweaks and punches, so as advised above find a good boot guy/girl and be prepared to work with them for a bit.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
stuarth, most of us don't need "high performance" boots though.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
pam w wrote:
stuarth, most of us don't need "high performance" boots though.

Maybe, though I meant well performing boots. Well performing boots will help anyone regardless of the level of skiing they are doing.
Just saying that you might have to do a bit of work to get them right. Since boots are only made in a few different shapes, it seems quite likely that unless you get a boot that is really big and fill it full of very soft stuff (which will then not be good for skiing), then it is going to take some work to make a hard boot fit your particular foot shape, and it is not unusual for a boot to hurt at least a tiny bit otherwise.

Hence the point of agreeing with you about going to see a good bootfitter, and adding the bit about being prepared to work with them.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Sainter, Lateral pain: have you got bow legs? Do you wear out the inside of a shoe heel?

stuarth, Rubbish that a boot should hurt and feet go numb when skiing, unless you are pro racer boot should be OK after sitting around with them on for about two weeks and skiing for about 2 days until you get used to their difference in flex and turning ability and doing the buckles up to the best setting.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sat 19-01-13 14:46; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I am not bothered about performance at all to be honest, as long as they give me enough control to be able to ski a red without having to put excess effort in to move my skis because boots are too loose.

I mentioned the pins and needles which is a sign of blood flow problems, which is obviously due to the boots being too tight, but when this happened my boots were as loose as possible.

I took a picture of my feet after taking the boots on and you could see areas where there was a lot of pressure, can you please tell me if this is "typical" for most people or if it should not be like this?

Below attached photo:

http://s14.postimage.org/d12zy8te9/20130119_112238_1.jpg

I can see there is a lot of redness on the lateral side and also on the dorsum of the foot
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Sainter, You have WIDE feet, my choice for you would be good old Tecnica
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Cynic,

Not rubbish! rolling eyes
What I'm saying is that whilst a boot should not hurt once you have it sorted out, it is very likely it's going to hurt if you get a decent fitting shell, no footbeds and no customisations.

Sainter
You should be able to get good performance which helps at any level, and no pain, they are not exclusive (unless as cynic points out you are a pro racer and you only have to get down one run in them with the ultimate performance).

My point is simply that:
a. you need a good bootfitter (who will then have picked the most appropriate starting point)
b. you need to be prepared to work on it a bit and not necessarily expect something off the shelf to be perfect first time.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Wow Grandma what wide feet you have ! Your boots are too narrow . You say you have Atomic boots, well usually the last on these is quite narrow Atomic did some boots with a wider last [B-TECH?] but the arch was still narrow.As a fellow wide plates man, I know your pain my friend and the only boot that will do,
would be a HEAD. Wide last 103-104 mm and bigger arch and heel
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Don't try to guess what boots you need from advice on an internet forum. there may be issues other than width.

I have boots which are a whole size smaller than any I've had before, with Zipfit liners. Fitted by CEM, with shell tweaked to accommodate bunions and a hammer toe. I hate walking more than ten yards in them, but very rarely have to, and I have no problem skiing (and sitting for lunch) in them - done up. I am not a downhill racer (by a very long way) but they provide all the control I need for outside edge turns, etc and, as the OP says "getting down a red run".

If I was told I couldn't do that without having painful feet then, frankly, I'd probably take up another hobby.

Go and see a really good bootfitter and yes, be prepared to work with him (or her - are there any female ones?).
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Sainter, My own journey to comfortable boots has been littered with mistakes (see rear of ski cupboard and eBay selling history). But I decided to work by advice and personal experience. In other words I got measured properly by cem and then bought a whole bunch of boots on eBay during the summer - some really good boots for as little as 99 p plus postage. I needed very different sorts of boots for different things - days spent standing around teaching tiny kids to ski ( (loose for good blood supply), some all days excursions ( reasonable performance but keep my feet warm) some coaching and high speed thrashing with friends (performance boot). Cem and others said 'classic salomon shape' but I needed a lot of easing on the inside toe knuckle to stop pressure on the OUTSIDE of my foot (little toe cramping and cold bec of too narrow in forefoot).

As recreational skiers do we need racing-style fit - personally I say no - after all I train with boots almost undone at times, in order to really develop balance. So I go for comfort and reasonable skill level, and do a lot of cruising.

The old xwave works well for me - so I have quite a few pairs - one pair with Lange liners from some L10s - some are soft flex (rare powder days - 1080s with xwave last from Nigel Shepherd for 50gbp), others a bit stiffer, and then some narrower salomon falcon 10s with big easing in forefoot, for thrashing days. Tecnica diablo flames (huge volume everywhere) for days tutoring the kids and doing a lot of standing around,

If you have pain on the side of your foot then the boots are mostly too narrow and the tingling comes from restricted blood
supply - which could also be because the instep is not high enough - so your key artery over the top of your foot could be restricted.

But racing fit for people who cruise for two weeks a year? This can lapse into 'all the gear and no idea' - My approach was to have some really in depth discussions with some fitters ( in uk cem or sure feet) and then muck around with some eBay boots in the recommended sizes and models - and of course get one new really optimum pair from the
fitterswho gave so much advice and need to make their money to stay in business. So I have about three pairs of
discarded boots ( but good experience to have tried them for a few days) and four pairs of excellent boots. One pair was full price the others all between 99p and 60gbp on eBay.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

My point is simply that:
a. you need a good boot fitter (who will then have picked the most appropriate starting point)
b. you need to be prepared to work on it a bit and not necessarily expect something off the shelf to be perfect first time.

For the first 15 pairs of boots I worked it out myself, off the shelf with a slalom footbed, took them to pieces changed flex, cant and platic rub points; for this pair I decided I couldn’t be bothered to set the kit myself for once I would go to the trade, 4 fitters, 5 footbeds, 2 liners, 2 heel stretches later, nearly £1000 in cost they are right, they don't hurt, they race well and with cuff change from 140 they ski well off-piste, are useless for climbing/trudging but if I go last they can follow footprints. Do they carve turns better yes.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
But Sainter (like me) just wants one pair of boots that he can ski in OK, and which won't hurt. Your requirements are a bit more exacting, valais2.

I rented some touring boots and skis last year, for a one-day "introduction to touring" outing. I rented them the day before so I could get used to them, and work out how to put the skins on without making a complete ass of myself. I found the boots (rented, off the shelf) wondrously comfortable and light, and given that I don't do stuff like big moguls, requiring very precise performance boots, I did wonder about going down that route, next time I need new boots. With the heels clipped down I had no problem with my usual modest range of piste skiing.
latest report
Hey guys, I just went back to snow+rock today and got them put in the heater and got them remoulded again.

The sides of these atomic boots have a sort of flexible plastic/rubber area which is apparently to accommodate for broad feet but I am not so sure it is that useful.

The boots are much better fitting now but its still not going to be something I could wear for 1 week for 8hours a day,,, I was told the two buckle system was more comfortable but I dont think it is, you cant control where you want the tightness so it just presses all over your foot.

I really feel that the lining/boots are pressing down on my foot from the top now, instead of the top and the sides. Its such a frustrating process to get boots!

Must admit im a bit worried as its just a week till my holiday.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sat 19-01-13 17:55; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Here are some photos of the boots so you guys know the style:

http://s1.postimage.org/pmlr3xetb/20130119_164706_1.jpg

http://s9.postimage.org/r8y5fw6jj/20130119_164649_1.jpg

Also a lot of people are suggesting to just go out and buy a new pair of boots, I just bought these before xmas due to my other boots hurting me. I cant go buy ANOTHER pair 1 month later, and the guy at snow and rock has been doing it for years so I am sure he chose a boot that is good for me, but then why is it hurting? Its a bit of a funny situation and dont know what I am looking for.
latest report
pam w wrote:
I found the boots (rented, off the shelf) wondrously comfortable and light, and given that I don't do stuff like big moguls, requiring very precise performance boots, I did wonder about going down that route, next time I need new boots. With the heels clipped down I had no problem with my usual modest range of piste skiing.

Interesting you should say that pam w, I ski in touring boots all the time now and have definitely noticed that anything I ski (including moguls) has become easier because of rather than in spite of their lighter touch. I think that having what felt like lampposts stuck around my lower legs meant that bullying the snow was just too easy with my old Rossi Power 9's, and with the Scarpas, I now tend to ski by feel rather than brute force. I know that probably doesn't make any sense but it's been a really pleasant revelation to me and because I have no interest in piste racing, I can't imagine ever going back to regular alpines.
snow report
Quote:

I cant go buy ANOTHER pair 1 month later, and the guy at snow and rock has been doing it for years so I am sure he chose a boot that is good for me

well, they obviously hurt you a lot, so they're not really good for you, are they? But I can well understand your reluctance to buy another pair. I remember that Snow and Rock had some kind of "comfort guarantee" - maybe your first step is to go back there and ask for your money back, if you can't even sit in them in your bedroom.

moffatross, interesting to hear that; I might give it a go. I know exactly what you mean by
Quote:

ski by feel rather than brute force.

because that's exactly what I have to do (not very successfully) in light cross-country boots, when you have to stand on your feet, not lean on your equipment.
snow report
ime a guy who has been doing it for years in snow and rock can get it wrong - I have similar feet and I've had two crap pairs out of them over the years with them trying loads of work on them to no avail (yes the second purchase was my own stupid fault for returning to the scene of the crime!), seen them attempt to fit loads of friends over the years and don't rate their boot selection AT ALL Sad Especially for wide fitting/comfort - plus their boots seem expensive/over-specc'd. My advice is to go back and suggest the last set of changes have made it worse - hint at the comfort guarantee and wanting your money back. If against all the odds that succeeds and they give you your cash back run away to a small independant who will be much cheaper Wink and more likely to put you in the right boot. I'd suggest Head Edge are your best bet if you do get a chance to go elsewhere.

I've never managed to call in the comfort guarantee though so I think you are going to have to just see what they can manage with what they have - if you go in very early in the day they can refit again, then put your normal shoes back on and go elsewhere for a coffee or something for 30mins so your feet recover. Then go back to shop - put on boots and see if you can wear them for 30mins wandering around the store before the 'tingle' kicks in - if so ime you should find them wearable on the hill assuming you unclip on chairlifts and at lunch. If you can't manage 30mins wear instore, find the best fitter and show him where is going red/hurts. He'll edit the boots again. Repeat!

Ignore the folks that tell you they have to hurt a bit/bed in back at home - after 10+ years of boot pain, I now ski pain free simply by ignoring that advice and refusing to leave the store last time until I found my boots comfy. For a 1/2/3 weeks a year leisure skier comfort is more important that performance! My last pair are now 5 years old and still going strong and I can ski all day without fiddling with the clips/throwing them off in a temper tantrum at the bottom of runs Smile

aj xx
latest report
Sainter wrote:
Hey guys, I just went back to snow+rock today and got them put in the heater and got them remoulded again.

The sides of these atomic boots have a sort of flexible plastic/rubber area which is apparently to accommodate for broad feet but I am not so sure it is that useful.

The boots are much better fitting now but its still not going to be something I could wear for 1 week for 8hours a day,,, I was told the two buckle system was more comfortable but I dont think it is, you cant control where you want the tightness so it just presses all over your foot.

I really feel that the lining/boots are pressing down on my foot from the top now, instead of the top and the sides. Its such a frustrating process to get boots!

Must admit im a bit worried as its just a week till my holiday.

You mention you have a high arch and they have fitted you with rigid footbeds, it's possible that these are too 'high' and so now you don't have enough depth in the boot over the instep. You could try removing the baseboard from under the liner and seeing if this gives you more room and improves the feeling of pressing down on the top of your foot. If this helps it might be possible for the shop to to try to plane some material off the bottom of the footbeds to reduce their volume to give you more room over your arch.

I agree with you about the Live Fit rubber panel, I tried a pair once and was not convinced. If you do have seriously wide feet then of the Atomic range the B series are the widest fitting but Snow and Rock don't have them in their range this year.

With only a week to go until your holiday I would really, really try and invoke their comfort guarantee otherwise it sounds like you will be in for a painful holiday Sad

Best of luck to you.
latest report
I have spent alot of time effort and a few quid trying to remedy the pain I have in my feet particularly the right one. Tried recommended boot fitters, taken time to try them out. My pain as a rule fortunately for me only comes after 2 or 3 hours. Been to and had moulded and specialist soles put in, but alas every year I have the same problem. I am sure mine is caused by lack of blood flow as the problem seems to come from within the ball of my foot. The pain seems to be similar to what some girls get when they wear high heel shoes infrequently (apparently Embarassed )
I simply have to grin and bear it, no matter what I try you cannot replicate being in your boots skiing for a few hours in cold tempretures at altitude. I will be one of those you see in moutain resaurants or gondollas whipping the damn boot off and giving my foot a good old rub to get the circulation going again.
Good luck with your efforts to solve your problem. What i will say is that in no way should your feet hurt with 30 min. Like other shoes, if you have not warn them outside take them back and if you succeed there must be someone on here who can recommend someone to go in the NE and see to get some fitted properly. Be patient and be prepared to spend a few hous at the fitters.
snow report
Glad I don't live in a place where you think you can just keep buying boots until they "fit"
Also race boots and well fitting, well performing boots are not necesarily one and the same.

Simple question to ask yourself. Why should you accept crap performing boots just because someone has told you they are comfortable?
Another simple question. Just because you are not a high end skier why do you think good boots are not required?

My (semi) touring boots are pretty comfortable but I still wouldn't ski them if they didn't perform well.
I fully expect my very much more performance (not race!!!) fitted boots to fit really well, perform really well, _and_ be comfortable, the fact that on there first outing they killed my feet is not reallly a big deal, II just go back to the boot fitter and work on it.
snow conditions
Scarlet Fez, see a podiatrist or get your GP to refer you to a foot surgeon. It might be your feet not your boots. What you describe seems similar to the pain I get in my feet (mostly right foot). I've had a lot of work done on boots, footbeds, alignment, etc and while it has helped reduce the discomfort that I've sometimes had from being in ski boots a lot, it has not fixed the problem I have with occasional intense pain radiating from the middle of the ball of my foot.

It might be you have a Morton's Neuroma (Google it) or something else. I've been referred to a foot surgeon who is trying to work out what my problem is (had steroid injections into the foot, x-rays, ultrasound and MRI scans) with another consultation this week to decide if I need surgery. Unfortunately for me the problem has been getting worse over the last two or three years, perhaps as a result of spending much more time in ski boots, so grinning and bearing it is no longer an option for me.
ski holidays
rob@rar, oh bum, that is what I have periodically in both feet but the left one is worse. The pain usually occurs when I'm not on my feet which I find weird, but it is after I have been in very flat shoes. I have special insoles in most of my shoes and boots but not my slippers for example or my snow boots. If I spend all day in my snow boots, driving home can be agony! Not looking forward to any injections or whatever. I also have Depuytren's Contracture in both hands (right hand is the worst but being left-handed I'm trying to ignore it for as long as possible), and I was told that there is a correlation between the incidence in hands and feet!

Sainter, I had my boots (Atomic Hawx 90s but without the live-fit feature) fitted by a friend who lives near and works with Atomic. The custom moulded insole he made for me seems to keep this problem under control, unless I have spent too much time in footwear without any special insoles. If the foot is irritated in advance then nothing stops it - I just unclip the toe buckle and grit my teeth!
latest report
Sainter, the live fit boot you are in is definitely up there with the wide high volume boots on the market, the head edge which someone mentioned is another but without seeing the foot shape it is impossible to tell what is right for you

often we see people who say they have wide feet, we measure them and find that their feet are narrow or medium at most, the foot "functioning" wide is not the same as actually being wide, maybe this is what is happening??? limited flexion at your ankle joint caused by either boney block or tight calf muscles can cause the foot to rotate and load some areas of the foot more than others, if this is happening and not addressed then they will never be comfortable or perform well it is about finding a balance between hold /compression and space within the boot. i see mention of insoles having being made, if these are well made they should help distribute load over the whole foot helping to hold it in a balanced neutral position, if they are not coin this then it could be them to blame.... if in doubt try taking them out and replacing them with the stock insole that came with the boot, does this make the situation better or worse? insoles/footbeds need to be made to suit the flexibility of the foot, if you have a rigid foot a slightly softer material should be used, if the foot is flexible then a more rigid material can be used to give more support as the foot will tolerate being moved... each individual is different and when a store offers a one size fits all approach as its only option it limits how effective they can be... at very least having a variety of densities of posting material allows the fitter to alter the flex/support of the footbed
snow report
rob@rar wrote:
Scarlet Fez, see a podiatrist or get your GP to refer you to a foot surgeon. It might be your feet not your boots. What you describe seems similar to the pain I get in my feet (mostly right foot). I've had a lot of work done on boots, footbeds, alignment, etc and while it has helped reduce the discomfort that I've sometimes had from being in ski boots a lot, it has not fixed the problem I have with occasional intense pain radiating from the middle of the ball of my foot.

It might be you have a Morton's Neuroma (Google it) or something else. I've been referred to a foot surgeon who is trying to work out what my problem is (had steroid injections into the foot, x-rays, ultrasound and MRI scans) with another consultation this week to decide if I need surgery. Unfortunately for me the problem has been getting worse over the last two or three years, perhaps as a result of spending much more time in ski boots, so grinning and bearing it is no longer an option for me.

rob@rar I have Mortons Neuroma both feet. It was a relief to finally get a diagnosis as I went through hell with ski boots. I had no reason to suspect anything as it didn't happen any other time. Then I started trying to run and managed to replicate the exact same pain I had whilst in ski boots. I was already seeing a foot man for achilles tendonitis and when I told him about the pain running he took me seriously as he hadn't done when it was just wearing ski boots, he just assumed it was the boots even though I'd explained that I'd done everything possible with bootfitting and that the boots shouldn't be hurting. My Mortons were seen easily on US scan. I had steroid injections and probably had some benefit (definitely one foot, less the other) for maybe a couple of years. Recently my left foot has been hurting day to day and I have been thinking about going back to the consultant but having looked into it I don't really fancy surgery to remove the nerve as I don't think the success rate is that great and the thought of being left with a stump neuroma sounds even worse. I have been reading up about cryotherapy (you might want to look at that too) and may well try that first if I do anything, at the moment I am having physio for a lower back problem (fell hard skiing at New Year) and the physio thinks the Mortons has flared up as a result of that so I am hoping it may settle down again. Fortunately I don't seem to be suffering from the Mortons in ski boots now, I eventually ended up in an Atomic Hawx and I am convinced that tiny bit of give in the forefoot helps this condition. Good luck with yours.
snow conditions
sarah, thanks, we have discussed cryotherapy (and alcohol injections to ablate the nerve) by my guy doesn't use those procedures as he thinks there is still not enough clinical evidence of success. At my last consultation with him he was not convinced that it was Morton's so he sent me for more scans. I'm seeing him on Wednesday and hoping to move the diagnosis a bit further forward. I'd like to avoid surgery if possible, but I just need to get it sorted one way or another.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar, Don't think my guy uses those either but I might look around a bit. The way I see it if you try those they might not work but they are unlikely to make the situation worse as far as I can see whereas the surgery is a bit final for me. Interesting that he's not convinced it's Mortons though and fingers crossed for you that it's something more straightforwardly treatable Smile
snow report
rob@rar,
Quote:

fingers crossed for you that it's something more straightforwardly treatable

+1
ski holidays
sarah, You are a genius! I just tried it and found the solution.

Due to my feet being really high arched, he put a high arch foot bed in moulded to my foot, which is great. The only problem is, is that this high arch is now pressing the top of my foot against the boot really hard and preventing proper blood flow! The problem is, is that if I dont have this high arch in then I wont have the support I need.

Its a no win situation! AH jesus. I really want my money back but just have a feeling its going to be a nightmare to do it.
ski holidays
Sainter, I do feel for you, it sounds a miserable situation especially with your holiday coming up.

This might seem like a really daft suggestion, but could you think about snowboarding? The boots are a whole lot more comfortable and might suit your feet better.

If you can't sit in the boots you've been sold for even 30 minutes without acute pain, I think you should try to get your money back - nothing ventured, nothing gained.
snow report
Sad They may be able to flatten out the footbed as bit to find you a compromise position. Although you would imagine there is the one 'perfect' footbed, I've got 4 (two were comfy) and all 4 are totally different - so it may be possible to find a comfy position with a less high arch support. Another thing you could try looking out for from my past experience is if they flipped you up a size in pursuit of width then your foot may not be where it is supposed to be in terms of the footbed arch support and that is pretty painful - can be remedied with a bit of trimming of the footbed sometimes. Also as CEM mentions stiff ankles don't help, that was one of my major issues and is why my new more upright (edge) boots are much better for me - while I ski fairly well flexed at the ankle (yes skeptics I have video to prove it NehNeh) an upright boot lets me stand up straight in lift queues/gondolas etc and takes a lot of the all-day-strain away. No idea on the live fit boot adjustments but if your ankles don't seem to flex forward well or you have chunky calves then it's worth asking if its possible to change the forward lean on the boot too - skee-tex took something off the back of my boots which helped.

On the bearable front - I do find I can ski longer than I can sit so your boot may be more workable than you expect. Aim for chairlifts, unclip in queues and take off at lunch, wear the thinnest sick you can buy and you may well find while not comfy they aren't terrible either.

Also don't despair, it IS possible to ski without problems - I had pretty much given up on anything other than 'bearable' as an aim, but my current pair are fantabulous and I love them Smile

aj xx
p.s. CEM - when you say people don't measure up wide when checked do you mean just measuring the width in one of those shoe shop measurers with the two sliders, or something more complex about checking the underlying bone structure? I'm just intrigued how someone thinks they have wide feet when the dont really?? Either foot goes in shoe or not? I can't even get my foot IN most high street shoes never mind wear them!
latest report
a.j., if the foot adbucts (rotates outwards charlie chaplin style) then it can hit the outside of the shoe/boot and feel too narrow but often there is a load of space on the inner edge of the footwear, for these people mostly they stand around in ski boots just fine, but as soon as they strap skis on and the feet are forced parallel the problems begin.... there are many biomechanical things that can cause the foot to feel like the boot is too narrow, this is one reason a shell check (not just to find length) is critical, it can prove that there is space in the boot, if it feels like there isn't then the alarm bells start ringing and the fitter needs to start looking for the cause... the biggest problem is a lot of people treat the symptoms not the cause, feels tight so the get the boot stretched, still feels tight so stretch it some more and so on..... sometimes this works and other times the foot will just continue to rotate into the space that has been newly created, this leaves a big void on the inner side of the foot and doesn't sort the underlying problem which is most likely related to muscle imbalance or biomechanics than boot fit

the high step thing is probably what is causing the lack of blood flow in this case, can it be sorted, of course... thinner (but still filling the arch) footbed, material removed form the tongue of the liner, stretch the shell upwards locally, remove material form the plastic base board etc etc, just needs the fitter to look outside the box of build insole (which is probably too rigid) heat liner job done
snow conditions
Interesting thanks CEM Smile Definitely not me then - my feet look pretty much square!
ski holidays
Sainter, Thanks! But I am not, unfortunately have had a lot of foot issues myself.

Get back to the shop with CEM's advice in his last paragraph.
ski holidays
a.j., I went in for the 2nd time this week today. I got the guy to shave down the footbed. He shaved 3mm off which seems like a LOT but it no longer is pressing tightly on the dorum of my foot.

It is 10 times more comfortable now, I am starting to think this boot will be wearable for the trip.

I have lost quite a bit of support now on the footbeds which is a shame, so hopefully there is still enough support to not cause too many problems.

I can now comfortably sit in the boots for more than 15 minutes! Just need to wait and see what its like now when im on the snow!
snow report
rob@rar, sarah,

I have a neuroma in each foot. Really large and painful one in the left foot and one just starting in the right foot. Left foot hurts like the blazes just walking day to day and I have electric shock-type sensations in one toe, along with some numb skin.

Cortisone injections did not work and I wanted to try non-surgical routes for the reasons sarah mentioned and because I didn't fancy post-surgery issues so close to the ski season (diagnosis was four months ago).

I now have orthotics that separate the 3rd and 4th metatarsals, thereby relieving pressure on the nerve. Have been using these for a couple of months and am mostly pain-free when wearing them in my shoes.

Skiing was another story altogether (using the original footbeds that were moulded when the boots were fitted) and the pain started shortly after putting on my ski boots and I was in agony after about an hour of skiing. My left foot remained very painful for the rest of the day once I had removed my ski boots.

Solution for skiing:
The bootfitters stretched my boots to create more space just where it was needed (my boots were tight) and Steve recommended I try the orthotics in my ski boots, which worked a treat – I was able to ski all day pain-free. Result! Steve then moulded my ski boot footbeds to the orthotics (because I am lazy and didn't want to have to remove my boot liners every day to get the orthotics in and out of my boots).

So, I'm happy with the current solution but will be opting for cryosurgery when I return to London at the end of the season. rob@rar, there's a podiatric surgeon in London, Ron McCulloch, who offers cryosurgery; I'll be seeing him when I get back to the big smoke (my original surgeon didn't offer it as an option).
ski holidays
Zero-G, great post, thanks a lot for sharing and I have a few questions. I will go over and start a thread on Mortons on the injury sub forum with a link to this one. Conscious that we're derailing Sainter's thread a bit Embarassed
snow report
Started a Mortons Neuroma thread over on the injury sub forum, it's here http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2207756#2207756
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy