Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

heavy ski's are they really a disadvantage?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
when reading preseason skitests some ski manufacturers like rossignol and salomon say these are the "lightest , new and lighter ,a very light ski..."
Others like atomic and Dynastar for example especialy the freeride or all mountain skis are noticebly heavier than others wich makes them stable at speed and less flickable or sketchy they say
i want to buy a new pair to replace my worn out bandits XX ,a light ski by the way.
A Bandit B3 ore Atomic metron B5
A lighter ski ore a heavy ski wat is best?
Jan
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
janvb, welcome to snowheads, personally I prefer a heavier ski but I really do believe it's all down to individual preference, although the skiers weight, skill and experience will all play a part in their choice, as will personal prejudice.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Heavy skis are like Mercedes. They tend to hold a line better, unless you're skiing through a tunnel in an intoxicated state.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
janvb, never really noticed whether heavy or not. I reckon Kate Moss holds a nice line and she doesn't weigh much...
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I do not think ski weight matters much while actually skiing downhill. However there is more to skiing. Skis need to be carried while walking to and from the slopes. Ski need to be carried into and out of some lift stations - some of the lift building have long corridors and stairs to climb. Some ski slopes are flat or even slope the wrong way (ie uphill) so you need to pole or skate and then ski weight is noticeable.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Well, actually, weight is a big factor at speed. The heaviest skis around are those used in the Flying Kilometre - the world's fastest downhill skiing. The density and thickness of materials is used to limit the skis' twisting, flexing and vibrating. I remember reaching at a pair once and thinking they were bolted to the floor, until I realised a bit more effort was needed to lift them! They were amazingly heavy.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I am sure David is correct, but I only like to potter around gently, nothing more than about 70kph.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Heavy skis like the Atomic Metron 8 made me ski beautiful, smooth, carved turns down groomed pistes. They're also good at powering through the crud. They can have a habit of determining your turn radius though if they're too heavy/inflexible for you to handle.

Light skis tend to need less effort to flick them round which you do more on mogul fields and when off-piste, but then they're not so stable on groomed runs when travelling at speed.

It depends what kind of skiing you like and how strong and heavy you are. snowHead

Personally I'm light-ish in weight and like skiing off-piste more than on-piste so I'd go for a lighter ski. However, if I was doing GS race training I'd definitely go for the heavier ski. Cool
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
How about getting the updated version of your current skis - assuming you like them?
Of course, you could be really radical and test some others!
Personally, I found it really helpfull to discuss what I do /don't like about a ski with the guy in the ski-shop and maybe s/he can suggest a model to try? Good luck with your search - I never go anywhere without my SL11s!!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
There's much to be learned by using both light and heavy skis. I can understand a competitor optimising and fine tuning the equipment to gain time. For me, I enjoy the challenge of trying to get the most out of skis, whether or not they are deemed 'suitable' or ideal for the conditions.
The heaviest skis I had recently were Scream10 Pilots (still have a pair in the attic), they rip through anything and feel very stable, except in a straight line - I'd definitely be flying in the Flying K! snowHead
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy