Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

First Post - Read my mind - Resort recommendation

Poster: A snowHead
I have been lurking on here for a while reading every post in the prospect of first family trip, I say family, my clan, my sisters family and my dad.

With our requirements in mind and reading post on here I think there are two resorts that are most suitable for our group.

With our requirements in mind :-
Europe, snow sure (christmas/new year), childcare for a 2 & 3 year old, fairly big area (impress my dad on his first ski trip abroad),
shortish transfer time and a resort with additional activities in resort.

I know a lot of resorts will fit the bill but I suppose I want the ideal environment for them to learn to ski as well as enjoy the town and mountains.

Basically myself and my sister want to introduce everyone else to a skiing holiday so we can get them hooked and go again and again.

So please help and post your recommendations,

Hopefully they will either match mine or give me an idea to look at a resort I may have missed.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
jarjer, welcome to SHs. snowHead What a great idea. It would be hugely cheaper, and less busy, if you could postpone the trip to late January. Your dad and Co will not be impressed by lift queues! Nowhere other than the really high resorts are snowsure at Christmas (though very often there is, as there was this year in some areas, excellent snow at Christmas). Your dad will not be impressed by skiing on slushy strips of manmade snow through grassy meadows, either.

Unless your dad is an exceptionally fast learner (or has maybe been skiing in Scotland, in which case he'll ski anything) he won't be able to appreciate a big ski area and might find it a bit intimidating.

For newcomers, I think a smaller area with attractive village and nice surroundings is much more likely to get them hooked on skiing than going to, say, Tignes which is as snowsure as anywhere but a bit hardcore.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks, school holidays is the restriction as always, my dad is an intermediate skier we ski most years when their is snow in Scotland. We would like to introduce him to the long runs you dont get here.

Our partners and children also ski but are still progressing so we need enough blues and reds to keep everyone happy. I suppose my assumption was that everywhere has beginner and intermediate runs so my emphasis was more on the resort than the slopes.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
La Plagne would meet your spec I think.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

I suppose my assumption was that everywhere has beginner and intermediate runs

just about everywhere has nursery slopes and intermediate runs but in some resorts the transition can be a bit startling, with nothing much in the way of confidence boosting long greens and easy blues - it's either a nursery slope or something much trickier.

La Plagne would provide a good range of slopes but there might not be that much more to say for it. wink

If you have to go with school holidays, Christmas is cheaper and much less crowded than New Year. Easter is a bit late in 2014 (though there's plenty of time to get a holiday organised for this Easter, which is good and early...)

There have been lots of positive reports of Snowbizz in Puy st Vincent - they seem to be very good at the child care, and good ski lessons too. And not expensive (except, of course, all ski holidays are expensive....).

La Tania in the 3 Valleys might be another one to consider. And no doubt the people who know the Austrian resorts will also have some good suggestions.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Couple there I hadn't considered, will have a further look into. Thanks.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
jarjer, a SH has just posted an excellent trip report about La Tania - well worth a read if you are looking at that area.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
+1 from me for La Tania, or one of the other valleys depending on our budget and apres requirements.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
My original thoughts were either la plagne or les eucharts and having looked at la tania now, I would consider there also.

Not looking for much apres but just something to do maybe once during the week, something like bowling, ice rink, toboggan run, etc

Any further ideas let me know, thanks.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
jarjer,
Quote:

Thanks, school holidays is the restriction as always, my dad is an intermediate skier we ski most years when their is snow in Scotland. We would like to introduce him to the long runs you dont get here.

If you can only get school holidays I would tend to go at Feb or Easter if possible. Although Feb gets a bad rap for being expensive and crowded it is less so generally than New Year in my experience and is much more reliable for snow, particularly if you DIY to Austria or Italy where they do not get the very large French February crowds.
The majority of Alpine resorts of any reputation will have far longer runs than most Scottish hills and february should see them in good condition.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Les Gets?

Courchevel?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
You might look at Obergurgl,

It is not the largest of resorts, but some nice skiing, high enough to be snow sure. Definitely worth a look.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'd go for christmas instead of new year, much cheaper, and fun for the kids. I've found Ski Amade very snowsure at that time of year, low altitude but excellent snowmaking and it's usually cold enough to use the snowmaking when needed. Of the traditional french I'd go Belle Plagne or Arc1950 or perhaps Montgenevre? All are high and beginner friendly. aj xx
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Of the traditional french I'd go Belle Plagne or Arc1950

Laughing Laughing Laughing what's "traditional" about Belle Plagne or Arc 1950?

I strongly agree on Christmas over New Year though - cheaper and less crowded.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

Europe, snow sure (christmas/new year), childcare for a 2 & 3 year old, fairly big area (impress my dad on his first ski trip abroad),
shortish transfer time and a resort with additional activities in resort.

I'd consider Les Arcs, which ticks most of your boxes. I found the 1950/2000 side of the mountain a bit bleak and prefer 1600/1800 side, or Plan Peisey area. From several years of experience I thought Ski Esprit excellent on childcare and they offer a good range of resorts and accommodation.
latest report
Smile fair point pam, perhaps usual suspects would have been a better phrase.
ski holidays
How about a pretty Austrian resort? The French Resorts can be a bit soulless and are hell at half term. Try Kitzbuhl/Kirchberg. Ellmau/Ski Welt, the Silvretta Nova? Easter hols are a better time to ski imo as it's warmer and less crowded than Feb half term, or Christmas/New Year as long as you go high in case it's a bad year. If you book with a Tour Operator they will arrange all sorts of fun activities in the evenings. I'm sure Dad will be hooked. It only snows in Scotland cos it's cold....! (Cut my skiing teeth on Cairngorm & Glenshee - happy days...)
latest report
Some great food for thought thanks, snowheads.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy