Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

First Touring Set-up

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,
I'm looking to get my first touring ski which will be used for ascents of up to 1000m.
I'm 24, 6ft and 80kg without kit and ski fairly aggressively. I have done several seasons and now want to start touring.
Generally I like a long stiff, ski but obviously there will be comprimises for weight.
I will mount the skis up with Fritschis and am looking for a ski with a waist around 85mm.
So far I'm considering:
Fischer Watea 84
Volkl Kendo
K2 Wayback

What are peoples thoughts on the above and are there any other skis I should be considering?
Thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The Scott Crusair is the usual recommendation around these parts. I know that renting them in Chamonix with Fritschi bindings is easy enough; perhaps you might consider a weekend away for kit testing purposes?

What sort of touring, incidentally? Bit of a difference between a steep icy couloir and a shallower hillside with trees and soft snow, for example...
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sorry forgot to include the Crusairs in my list, had been looking at them as well. I want to try and narrow down my list as well as see if I've forgotten.

They will be primarily be used for the EMS course (for BASI) and associated tours so will be more of a slant towards the former in the imminent future.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'd seriously consider dynafits if your budget has room. They're nicer to walk in, and their lightness means you can either cut your load or use beefier boots and skis without penalty.

Couple of other skis to throw on your list that look quite nice... Black Crows Orb Freebird and Camox Freebird (conventional camber and tip rocker respectively). I've never tried em, but I'd like to think that given their origin, the designers might know what they're doing wink
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Unless you have already bought touring boots then strongly consider the Dynafit/Plum option. You will spend the money at some point. It is just a question of how much you spend before you go Dynafit.

I'd consider the Mythic Light as an option as well.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy