Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Insurance question ... is La Grave a 'resort'?

Poster: A snowHead
I'm off to L2A this weekend and subject to conditions was thinking of making a day trip over to La Grave (would hire an instructor/guide for this, or join one of the local ski school's organised trips).

My insurance covers off-piste skiing 'within the resort boundries' (or wording to that effect) - but does La Grave count as a resort?

Sorry if this is a silly question, but never been to L2A / La Grave before.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
abj, it's certainly not a silly question. That insurance definition really makes no sense in any European resort - it does in N America. I'd ring and ask, emphasizing you will be with a guide or instructor.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
La Grave has 2 very short blue pistes on the glacier at the top (marked on the piste map).

The rest of the resort is all ''off piste'' and any rescue is classified by the French as a mountaineering rescue. Basically this means that there is no ski patrol and any rescue may require a helicopter.

No here is where it get a little complicated.... as I understand mountaineering rescues in France are still free and paid for by the state. However off piste skiing rescues (where the skier started from a proper ski resort) do need to be paid for. If you are starting from a proper ski resort then usually you buy carte-neige insurance with your lift pass which covers rescue costs in event of an accident. However La Grave, and also the Aiguille du Midi (Vallee Blanche) in Chamonix have a different status as 'mountaineering rescues' even if you start the day using the cable car. In event of an accident the rescue heli *probably* wont charge to scoop you up from La Grave. But... I wouldn't bank on it.

The best solution is to have an EHIC card (to cover medical costs) and some kind of insurance that covers off piste.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
pam w, many resorts I've visited in europ do indicate the limits of the ski area, so in that sense it's a valid definition
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
abj, Buy Carte Neige with your lift pass.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
nbt, our piste maps all have dotted lines round "areas" - as do places like the Grand Massif - but AFAIK they are for the purpose of identifying where your ski pass begins and ends. The line round our area certainly includes one highly avalanche-prone slope where you'd be a dolt to venture 90% of the time.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hmmm ... I have my EHIC card stored in my wallet - so that bit is covered. And my insurance definitely covers off-piste.

I've just checked the wording of the policy and it states:
"You are covered to ski and snowboard off piste provided you are within the ski area boundaries of a recognised ski resort and following ski patrol guidelines"

Puzzled
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
abj, a well-known insurance policy through a topical GB 'club' wink offers off-piste insurance, 'with or without a guide' covering the following ...

"Search and rescue - We will pay up to the amount shown in your summary of cover for costs of mountain search and rescue in the event of an emergency."

"Big-foot skiing, cross-country skiing, curling, dog sledding, glacier skiing, ice skating, off-piste skiing / snowboarding, mono-skiing, skiing, recreational ski racing, ski touring (including where ropes are involved for safety reasons) snowboarding, snowparks, snowshoeing, sledging, snow blading, telemarking and tobogganing."
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
IANAn Insurance Underwriter but IIRC La Grave publishes "maps" which show the position of P1, P2, the pistes on the glacier and at least some indication of Vallons and Chancel and the traverses back to P1. I'd be inclined to argue that anything within the frequently skied areas of that "map" is inbounds off-piste. My interpretation of that generally in Europe is that it means leaving a bit of the lift system and returning to a bit of the lift system.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
moffatross, yup, did look at that one. In the end I was put off when I tried to call them to check a few details, but couldn't manage to get through (and this was their sales line) despite a few attempts ... I worked on the assumption that if they can't answer a sales line, what hope have I got if it came to claiming!
They also seem to oursource their claim handling to a third-party company, which didn't fill me with confidence either.

[edited for spelling/grammar]
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Is it LV: http://www.lv.com/insurance/travel_insurance/activities-covered/ - see Winter sports activities (optional cover) at the bottom. If so it says you are not covered for: ski mountaineering, ski randonee or ski touring. These activities can include use of a ski resorts lift system, so clearly just because you are using a lift in some shape or form does not tick the box. I think you need to clarify with the company and get it in writing to be sure. Insurance for skiing is a nightmare these days. There are so many levels of risk as highlighted by Snowcards activity types: http://www.snowcard.co.uk/single-trip.php?a=Ski/Board
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'd love to know what Snowcard think is the difference between Ski Mountaineering and Back Country Touring rolling eyes

just seen that ski mountaineering involves "assents (sic) of mountains". "Hello, Mr Mountain, with your assent, I will proceed" rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

They also seem to oursource their claim handling to a third-party company, which didn't fill me with confidence either.

If you mean the emergency stuff, that's standard. I have snowcard "extreme adventure" (I don't do extreme adventures but it's the only level where you are covered for ANY off piste without a guide) and was injured 8 days ago (very much on piste). The people dealing with it are the European Rescue service, or something like that. They've been excellent. I don't know how the relationship between the company with whom we contract, and the emergency service, works. Would be interested to hear from someone who understands.

Similarly, when I had a car breakdown with a SAGA European breakdown service, it was the AA who I dealt with, not SAGA.

Maybe ski mountaineering involves ropes and hardware such as karabiners, ice axes and crampons?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Layne, yup, we're with LV.

I'm not planning on using any touring gear or mountaineering equipment - at the most I'll be joining one of the half-day trips to La Grave organised by one L2A ski schools - so I can't see that these apply to me (but I may be wrong?).
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
abj wrote:

I'm not planning on using any touring gear or mountaineering equipment - at the most I'll be joining one of the half-day trips to La Grave organised by one L2A ski schools - so I can't see that these apply to me (but I may be wrong?).

In that case you will probably stick to the two much used and relatively easy ways down which quickly become like pistes (as opposed to the large number of couloirs, steeps and glacier) so i can't imagine there will be any problem.
snow report
Quote:

you will probably stick to the two much used and relatively easy ways down which quickly become like pistes

When you say it like that, it doesn't sound like so much fun Crying or Very sad !
snow report
abj, right at the tip of la Grave you have to go through a little gate which just quite simply says you are skiing atyour own risk - I'll find it.
latest report
^

abj, depending on your group's progress and the snow conditions, you may not get to ski both sides in a 1/2 day anyway. But don't let what snowball said put you off because neither Chancel or Vallons could be described as 'like pistes' but they are both well-used itineraires ('ski routes') so just like itineraires everywhere, can get bumpy and will be tracked out quite quickly after fresh snow.

Vallons takes you through awe inspiring big mountain surroundings and IIRC has a couple of short, wide, (but mogully) steeps near the start. Chancel is more mellow, that is until the forest section which will have you grinning from ear to ear and/or sweating like a wee piggie. You'll enjoy the experience provided you are fit, relatively competent and have some off piste experience but I suspect that your 'ski school' will assess your skiing in L2A to check whether you are good to go anyway.

And like pam w says, don't worry about the insurance helpline provided the cover includes 'off piste'. If the worst should happen, the rescue/med care would still go ahead, they'd send you a bill and you'd deal with via your insurer later.
snow report
get cart neige with lift pass- just a few euros more and if in the unlikely event of needing to use it the immediate advantage is that they just take a look at the pass- rather than your wallet (speaks the voice of 2 blood wagon - 3 with Mrs Ed experiences).

Have a ball- too late to :get fit- lose 2 stone.

I had a very tricky long weekend at la Grave a couple of years back- new boots, new skis, not on straight bindings- and being told at breakfast that he Germans were looking grim- because one of their party fell to his death the day before - he'd been 40 with 2 kids (at the time I was 40 - with 2 kids and 1 on th away). Vallons and Chancel are amazing- the track back from Chancel is a hellish, the food at the Chancel Refuge is heavenly. La Grave is unique.

Be prepared to sweat.
snow conditions
Quote:

they just take a look at the pass- rather than your wallet

I got blood-waggoned last week - they did keep my skis as a hostage, but there was never any suggestion that I should pay on the spot. I didn't have Carte Neige. They didn't ask for my insurance details, but I gave them anyway. When I spoke to the insurance people today they said they had sent an email guaranteeing payment, asking for the invoice, but had not received any invoice yet, so had not paid. Didn't prevent my friends picking up my skis though. The bill for the piste rescue was a modest 62 euros and my skis are worth a good deal more than that! I'll make sure they get paid, one way or another - it was a damn good 62 euros worth.
latest report
As ed123 says,get Carte Neige for the day. This is a bit 'belt & braces',but it sounds as if you feel the need for a safety net? The fact you are planning to go with a guide(very wise),means you are covered anyway....its just easier.La Grave is truely amazing,but can be hard work for the un-preparred(like me first time out Sad ) I was cool with it,though knackered,till we entered the forest run out.At that point we entered the roller coaster from hell!! The Derby had run a few days before,and the track was a nightmare...picture hugh moguls,and nowhere to turn...just point and go Shocked But we survived,and absolutely loved it.And the post ski beer was one of the sweetest I have ever tasted.Enjoy Very Happy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy