Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tiger Woods hits a hole in one with Lyndsey Vonn

Poster: A snowHead
DB wrote:
jimmer,

You should try skiing on very light weight skis / boots in variable terrain after you have just bust a gut running up a steep high. It's a lot harder than having your butt and optimum sized downhill spline kit taken up hill on the lift then just skiing down.

'Then just skiing down'!? Have you ever stood at the top of a real DH course? Terrifying. I am certain I could hack my way down most anything on touring gear, not so certain I would survive a DH course at anywhere near race speed.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yes I live in Austria, I've skied where they set some of the DH courses. Can I ski them anywhere near the pace of the DH racers - no. Can I get down them putting in more turns and taking much longer, yes (probaly 3 or 4 times what it takes them). Alpine racers race for a few minutes, Rando racers race for hours. It's like comparing sprinting v long distance events. An alpine racer and a rando racer are however both on the limit in survival mode on the way down but it takes the Rando racer longer.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
DB wrote:
Yes I live in Austria, I've skied where they set some of the DH courses. Can I ski them anywhere near the pace of the DH racers - no. Can I get down them putting in more turns and taking much longer, yes (probaly 3 or 4 times what it takes them). Alpine racers race for a few minutes, Rando racers race for hours. It's like comparing sprinting v long distance events. An alpine racer and a rando racer are however both on the limit in survival mode on the way down but it takes the Rando racer longer.

Then you should be able to understand the level of skill it takes to ski those courses fast! Honestly though, I'm not even sure what we're debating anymore, I was just laughing at davidof because he seems like a middle aged wannabe trying to make himself feel good by finding something he's better at than LV. This whole rando scene doesn't really sound like alpine skiing to me, more like xc, but I'm sure some people enjoy it and fair play to them.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
jimmer,
Just saying that although Rando is more fitness / endurnace orientated it's not a walk in the park and does involve skill to get down on lightweight equipment.

... and yes I'm with you on David's challenge, but I bet Lindsey's Dad is bigger and Lindsey would beat David in a real fisticuffs fight wink
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Of course there's skill, it just seems like going up is prioritised, which isn't very skilful, and isn't really skiing. Anyhow, I wonder if this relationship lasts until Lindsey comes down to Chile to train, would be fun to see Tiger around the hotel, I assume he skis!?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
And yeah, I bet Lindsey would wreck a lot of people in a fight, Tiger better be careful!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
jimmer, did you actually read Altis's links:

Quote:
The Pinnacle of the calendar has to be the “Pierra Menta” – somewhat akin to the “Tour de France” of ski mountaineering. This is one of the most amazing and most competitive events I have had the pleasure of racing in. Over four full on days of ski racing from the tranquil town of Areches in the Beaufortain, you probably do about a months’ worth of regular touring. PD ridges and 40+ degree descents in the Alpine wilderness are lapped up for breakfast by competitors

although if pistencarven is your definition of real skiing maybe that explains it
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!

http://youtube.com/v/weX300mV-Z4

http://youtube.com/v/CNBvWi5vjAw&list=PL3F90956377181DED

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Wed 20-03-13 12:40; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Arno wrote:
jimmer, did you actually read Altis's links:

Quote:
The Pinnacle of the calendar has to be the “Pierra Menta” – somewhat akin to the “Tour de France” of ski mountaineering. This is one of the most amazing and most competitive events I have had the pleasure of racing in. Over four full on days of ski racing from the tranquil town of Areches in the Beaufortain, you probably do about a months’ worth of regular touring. PD ridges and 40+ degree descents in the Alpine wilderness are lapped up for breakfast by competitors

although if pistencarven is your definition of real skiing maybe that explains it

No, my definition of real skiing is going downhill, an event that is predominantly uphill doesn't really do it for me.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
jimmer wrote:
Of course there's skill, it just seems like going up is prioritised, which isn't very skilful, and isn't really skiing.

Once again I suggest you to step on xc skis once, and only then talk about this for what skill is needed and for what it isn't Wink And I guess we can all agree on this, that alpine skiing is youngest discipline of all sports with skis, which means, it's kinda hard to say, alpine skiing is only "real skiing". Wink
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Urgh, ok then, you guys are right, you're all so much better than Lindsey at skiing, great job!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
jimmer, to paraphrase my signature on another forum, if you've got skis on it's skiing Wink
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
jimmer, I'm not sure if someone said he or she is better then Lindsey in ALPINE skiing. If you got it that way, I suggest you to re-read what was written Wink
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
primoz wrote:
jimmer, I'm not sure if someone said he or she is better then Lindsey in ALPINE skiing. If you got it that way, I suggest you to re-read what was written Wink

I wasn't being entirely serious...
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Lindsey would probably look better than David in one of those lycra suits though.
ski holidays
^ faster as well wink

if davidof is pushing out 1000m every hour he should sign up for the UK ski-mo team or some races....
latest report
DB wrote:
Lindsey would probably look better than David in one of those lycra suits though.

Hopefully that is something we can all agree on!
snow report
The statistics of the Pierra Menta are mind-blowing. I'd like to get over there some time to watch - Tour de France style - but I have no idea how to go about it. I've skied several times at Areches.
snow conditions
DB wrote:

And without it.
latest report
pam w, you'll need to be quick about it. It starts tomorrow!

http://www.pierramenta.com/
snow conditions
I can well believe davidof is capable of being one of those lycra clad racing whippets in the ankle breaking gear. I don't see what's wrong with his analysis - she may be a world class athlete but so is a top NFL tackle and I'd back many skiers to beat them in an uphill ski race.
latest report
^ We are not talking about Rugby Players, Shot Putters or Sumo wrestlers here.

Why do people assume that Vonn (a 29 year pro athlete that trains several hours each day) would be slow going uphill ? To win ski DH races at a top level requires a level of fitness, as well as skill, that people don't appreciate. Anyone who spends 2-3 hrs endurance training on a bike each day, plus cross training in the gym, is going to smoke a 40+ year old office bound weekend warrior.....
snow report
Haggis_Trap, cos she trains specifically for races which last less than 2 minutes?
I'm undecided on who would win the race, but I'd pay at least 5 of your Scottish pounds to see it Wink
snow report
^ Alain Baxter trained for slalom races that lasted 2 minutes.
And he won the BBC superstars after he retired (beating rowers / athletes etc).

Ski racers are much fitter than people realise.
You can't develop the core strength required without developing the cardiovascular aspect too.
ski holidays
If we could put the hot air this has generated in a balloon and use it to propel him davidof won't even need to put any effort in going uphill! Laughing
latest report
Haggis_Trap wrote:
^ Alain Baxter trained for slalom races that lasted 2 minutes.
And he won the BBC superstars after he retired (beating rowers / athletes etc).

Ski racers are much fitter than people realise.
You can't develop the core strength required without developing the cardiovascular aspect too.

It's a different type of fitness. I've taken a group of amateur boxers mountainbiking they were knackered in no time. Likewise, a couple of triathletes/Ironmen competitors couldn't believe how hard a Bootcamp session was.
snow conditions
^ you are under estimating the benefit of doing some kind of exercise for several hours every day.... we are talking about a world class / Olympic level professional athlete in near peak condition.
snow report
Haggis_Trap, how many of these guys and girls do you personally know? I do quite few of them, and as I wrote before already, I know what's their general fitness level. Most of them are guys, which are generally much stronger and better prepared then women, and yet I don't have problems keeping up with their "endurance" trainings... even though I'm out of pro sport for long time, and even though I was nowhere near top of World cup level myself when I was still racing. So that's reason, why I'm almost 100% sure, Lindsey doesn't stand a chance in such "competition" against decent fit hobby athlete.
PS: I mentioned this once before already... it's pretty bad to see top level pro athlete with 20% body fat... Wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
altis, yes, for this year I shall watch in on the telly but I might manage to get something together next year.
latest report
^ Primoz : it is a sweeping generalisation to assume that all world cup skiers are not reasonably aerobically / endurance fit (especially when using an amateur hobbyist as the bench mark)

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Wed 20-03-13 17:55; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Haggis_Trap wrote:
^ you are under estimating the benefit of doing some kind of exercise for several hours every day.... we are talking about a world class / Olympic level professional athlete in near peak condition.

No I'm not, the people in the two examples I gave you trained most days of the week but for different types of exercise. Even Hermann Maier said himself at the time of his retirement that he was looking forward to having a body set up for ski touring (which he now does a lot of) and not for downhill racing.
snow conditions
Haggis_Trap, I don't think he said they all lacked "endurance" fitness but someone who has regularly done endurance training with world cup level racers probably has a reasonably informed opinion on the subject.
ski holidays
I think Lindsey's body fat percentage is just right. If you doubt this, I suggest another look at the Sports Illustrated pics. There's a video on youtube too. Or so I'm told...
ski holidays
I believe there might be exceptions, but in general I'm pretty close. Of course I can't confirm this what I wrote for every single one, but for example, and I wrote this before already, I regularly play ice and inline hockey (more inline then ice since during winter most of us are around) and go with mtb from time to time with guys where one of them was in top 3 in Kitzbuhel downhill, the other won few downhill World cup races, few of them regularly place in top 15 in World cup GS, SG and DH races. And neither of them can keep up for single hour of hockey (when playing with 10-15 people on each side, you can imagine you are not playing 1h straight, so it's actually something fitting them much better then some endurance athlete) with averagely fit hobby athletes. Yes all of them have pretty high numbers with leg bench press, but I have also seen their numbers from tests they do for example on bike... And they are low, really low for world class athlete. I went once to same test and my max power output was about 100W higher then from anyone of these guys. And as I said, I'm far from guy in really great shape, and I never was even close to best World cup racers once I was still skiing (I quit 15 years or so ago).
latest report
boardiac, you don't think there's some photo retouching in that? Wink I have seen Lindsey in real life, luckily not in swimming suite, and she looks "a bit" different then on those photos. A bit wider too Wink
snow report
Haggis_Trap, the closest thing to an endurance event in Superstars is running 800m!
snow report
primoz, and the rest of you:

"In an age of performance-enhancement sports scandals, Vonn’s major training sponsor Red Bull may seem incongruous. But the energy drink has received NSF International’s certification as an acceptable product for professional athletes. Red Bull provides Vonn with two trainers who travel with her around the world ensuring she sticks to her regimen. Vonn trains six to eight hours a day, six days a week. Most days she gets in three hours of cardio, usually on a bike. In Austria her trainers have her do Tour de France–style hill rides up the Alps. Her strength workouts are heavily focused on building her core. Perhaps the most challenging requires her to balance on a tightrope in a squat position while throwing a medicine ball at different angles against a wall."

She'd kick your collective butts.

And totally trash mine, in case anyone was interested.
snow conditions
my dads bigger than all of yours'
snow report
Ok I give up. I will forget this what I saw in person through all this years, and believe only those promo materials their PR guys put out. She would kick my butt.

PS: Just out of fun... "most challenging requires her to balance on a tightrope in a squat position while throwing a medicine ball at different angles against a wall." Back in days when I was still racing, one of my most challenging trainings were interval trainings with something like 15-18 times 3-4min skiing, roller skiing or running (with 2-3min break) at 185-190 heart rate.... or maybe racing 50km xc race in something like 2h 15min (depending on snow) with heart rate above 180 Wink I think that sort of beats "throwing medicine ball against the wall" Wink
But once again, I admit once again... Yes she would kick my butt in any endurance sport! Easily! Happy now?
snow report
Surely if you regularly practice a particular sport and are skilled at the technique, you'll expend less energy doing it than athletes who don't regularly play that sport? Wouldn't good footballers outlast fitter athletes who are inexperienced players in a football match?

Don't know how old davidof is - maybe he would get up the hill faster than a 29 year old female champion downhill skier. So what? Doesn't actually mean anything of interest does it? It's never going to happen, so we'll never know.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy