Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Heel Lift - HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELP

Poster: A snowHead
I've been riding for 10 years now (Rome Solution board / Burton P1 bindings).

For the last few years I've been riding with Salomon Dialogue boots - overall, I've been very pleased with them but have consistently suffered from heel lift. I've so far managed it by attaching a couple of foam pads on the liner (either side) to effectively make the fit more snug / minimise lift.

I've just bought a pair of Northwave Legend SL boots, they're a bit stiffer which is fine as I feel I have become a bit complacent recently and would like a more responsive ride (plus push myself a bit more).

I'm a bit worried though that the heel lift issue won't go away (only a problem with the right boot due to, I imagine, a differently shaped foot).

Question – other than foam pads does anyone have any other suggestions to manage heel lift (the boots fit snugly in every other respect).

Thank you very much!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
franga, see a boot fitter who'll help you better than a forum can with liner or boot modification. Though it may be partly the way you try to ride by using stiff ankles and inclination to steer your board. Bootfitter will also have the right materials to make a long term fix.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
franga, Have you tried decreasing the angle of your highbacks so that they fit completely against the back of your boots?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Masque, I have. I've been to both Snow And Rock plus TSA (Ellis Brigham) but not a professional fitter as such. I've tried on a number of pairs, the Northwave boots felt right. I'm off to Wengen tomorrow (only boarding for 1 day) so will road test. I'll see how they feel and if I need to make any adjustments I will definitely see a boot fitter before my next big trip in March. Thanks!

cad99uk, never thought of that. I'll try it tonight when I get home. Thanks!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
franga, good tip with the highbacks. While you're out playing try to relax flat footed and soft kneed into your boots and use the tongue of the boot to put pressure through your toe edge. Even the best of boots will feel loose in the heel if you are trying to pivot on your toes with locked ankles. Just sag down into your boots just don't stick yer arѕe out and drop your head into the 'having a dump' position.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Masque, Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

use the tongue of the boot to put pressure through your toe edge. Even the best of boots will feel loose in the heel if you are trying to pivot on your toes with locked ankles.

^ This is just so correct ...
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I found that getting the right sock can get rid of heel lift, I have been using these for the last 6 years and cant see past them, make sure you wash them first before use, the then get really grippy.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
JimboS,
Quote:

I have been using these for the last 6 years

Aren't they getting a bit smelly? Laughing
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Telemark?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Cynic, now you're just being sad . . . and beardy
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Guys, thanks for all your feedback. Have adjusted highbacks tonight (thanks for the tip cad99uk).

Will definitely be mindful of my stance too - too many years of riding without a lesson = bad habits ...
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
franga wrote:
Guys, thanks for all your feedback. Have adjusted highbacks tonight (thanks for the tip cad99uk).

Will definitely be mindful of my stance too - too many years of riding without a lesson = bad habits ...

Then a day in class wouldn't go amiss either. Take a couple of days to warm and loosen up then have a lesson. While you're out those first days keep an eye out for classes and watch the instructors, see one you like the way he or she is sliding, wait for a convenient moment and go get the name, go to the office and book a lesson, you won't regret it as the best way to spend a night's worth of beer tokens.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Masque, +1 for lessons, there's always more to learn.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If riders can,t bend at the ankles the heel will lift which is a personal lack of flexion contributing factor, which will change over time.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Sat 19-01-13 5:38; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
i've always subscribed to the view that a wee bit of heel lift is to be expected, and shouldn't affect your riding. Short of putting bolts through the boot and your ankle, I don't see mechanically how you can expect to completely eliminate heel lift.
snow report
I am using Salomon F24s which have a lovely lacing system that pulls your foot down and back into the hell of the boot.

You couldn't lift your heels if you wanted to.
latest report
Buy or make some foam J bars to keep heel in place ....simple and very cheap to do
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy