Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Do skis get stolen?

Poster: A snowHead
....and leaving them outside the first bar you get to in town while you go on the lash is asking for it...
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
CaravanSkier wrote:
As with all things you have to apply a little common sense.
Ah, that's where the plan seriously falls over. Lots of people cannot even recognise their own skis. "What make are they?" "Errrmmmmm...?" You see them wandering up and down the rack scratching their heads. You regularly see people trying to click into bindings that are clearly not set for their boots - I have caught someone trying to put my skis on. Not a thief, just a colossally thick individual. It's chaos out there.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

As with all things you have to apply a little common sense.

Yes, and the only time I've had skis stolen, I failed to do that, leaving a nice pair at a bus stop. rolling eyes It was a Sunday, on the main road through the resort, and the local police did say that this was a vulnerable time, with "outsiders" (who might have been Polish but just as likely to be furriners from Chambery) cruising around in vans.

The bindings were shot - I'd been brought down by skidoo with them, not having the ability to ski down on one ski, but they were basically good skis.

However, for the last ten seasons we have routinely left up to 8 pairs of skis and 2 snowboards on our terrace outside the apartment in our quiet neck of the woods. No problem. at present it is 100% impossible for anyone to see in, given the huge depths of snow outside.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Why not ski with old rock hoppers, no one would steal mine in case they died of shame! Seriously some muppet skied off with my mate's hire skis and left his. 6cm shorter, different model, different boot size. Roughly the same colour though NehNeh
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
[smug] My teleboard will never get stolen on the hill [/smug] Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
holidayloverxx, On the plus side 4 year old skis are not that attractive to thieves.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
holidayloverxx wrote:
Layne wrote:
Do people get paid new for old?
And whether they do or not how much do they get?

All the policies I have looked at reduce the cover over the years so that by about 4 years old you get nothing.

I was surprised to see you still get *something* on older skis with mine.

Though I would prefer not to lose them, of course.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yes - it happens, even in civilised Austria!
Ski school instructors in Kaprun this Christmas lost several pairs of new
(proper, new rules , 1300 euro) GS skis over the first few weeks of the
season. Ouch! They blamed east Europeans who knew exactly what they
were looking for
After hearing this, we always paired up odd skis at lunch!
More funny was when a ski school friend chose the wrong pair of
skis after lunch - cue a huge tangle of skis n limbs when she tried her first turn!
Fortunately no damage, n a very quick walk back up to restaurant to replace
"stolen" skis n collect right ones!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
What surprises me more is that there are hardly any tales of shiny new poles going missing. I would think a shiny pair of carbon poles at say £50 a pop was an easy take esp. as they are more difficult to lock up
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hence why I always buy cheap poles - and yes the nice ones do go missing!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
It happened to one in our group last year in Verbier at a cafe stop, we must have wasted half an hour looking for them, then after we had called the hire shop, and just about to call police... a mad women skied down having had to do a complete lap to return the skis she'd taken by mistake... goodness knows how the boots fitted the bindings, they were a 5' 9" bloke's skis taken by a 5' 2" woman and looked nothing like each other... bizarre! and very annoying. lock or swop about...

In Whistler a few years back, the ski hire deposit lost a pair of hire skis overnight, and we'd been almost last back and first out, but they admitted responsibility and sorted out another pair, but didn't write it down properly, so at the end of the holiday we had grief over the numbers not matching at the original hire shop...

Also just got to the ski hire store once to find someone trying on my sons hire boots!!!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
My ski instructor one day in Whistler would put one of his skis in the rack, and the other one just stood up in the snow by the entrance to the restaurant. Seemed to be a standard thing, there were lots of single skis there.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I've heard of so many skis being stolen that even for short stops and overnight in the kit drying room, I always lock my skis up with 2 x cable locks and put my bright yellow, stinky, sweaty helmet on top. Nobody will want to steal the stinky, sweaty helmet and anybody attempting to take the skis would have to lift it off. Anybody attempting to ski off with my skis would need to have Dynafit cleats in their boots and fiddle about with a screwdriver to adjust the bindings to fit them. My poles are BD telescopics so they always go with me to the table or my room which is fine as they collapse down to about 45 cm.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
moffatross, you've got a problem Shocked
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Layne, if you mean my old, bright yellow, sweaty, stinky helmet, no that's not a problem that the washing machine can't sort out when needs must. Cool Cold water, hand wash cycle with extra rinses, some other manky ski kit plus a bit of non-bio detergent & it's fresh as a daisy again. Little Angel
snow conditions
As I'm generally in a group, we always split/pair odd skis together, and then lock one set. Even if some enterprising thief managed to locate both halves of the pair, one would be inaccesible. This came after one of our group had some Salomon BBR's stolen from outside a restaurant in VT. Since then, we've been a lot more careful with how we leave our skis
snow report
Never happened to me but I know 3 recent incidences of people picking up the wrong skis up and down the mountain... so not really stealing just people not paying attention. Due to the inconvenience it causes I would definitely carry on with the ski swapping - you'd have to be REALLY unlucky for someone to accidentally pickup an unmatched pair... unless youre outside the mooserwirt of course... rolling eyes
snow conditions
My sons skis were stolen on the mountain in Ischgl Austria. The police said 20 pairs a day get stolen in the resort. Eastern European gangs
snow conditions
Re muppets picking up the wrong skis - why don't people hiring just put offensive stickers on skis?

Daft bint - "I'm sure my skis didn't have "c***" written on them this morning did they dahling?"...etc etc
snow report
Quote:

I naturally enquired what the f*** he was doing with my f****** poles and he replied that he'd "found them" hanging up on a pair of skis in the ski room. What followed is sadly not on film.

sounds like that scene from "Les Bronzés font du ski" Laughing
snow conditions
Hired some new dynastar chams in tignes a few weeks ago & when I asked if I could take out insurance as well they declined saying that they no longer supplied insurance on some of the more expensive new skis as many people were claiming the skis lost or stolen, paying the excess & basically getting new skis for about half price. Asked the same here in schladming today & was given insurance. When I asked if people claimed to have the skis nicked, I was told the whole laborious process of going to the police, getting written reports & then waiting for the insurance to refund one was enough to put anyone off !! I also asked if much did get stolen & the answer was yes, quite a lot. Apparently last year it was snow boards, this year so far it's skis.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Thu 17-01-13 20:32; edited 1 time in total
snow report
quite an alarming thread this - I think I've been lucky!
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
quite an alarming thread this - I think I've been lucky!

don't worry too much, you're the norm, I think we were unlucky, it's still quite unlikely, especially if you swop skis or lock them occasionally. When you consider how many pairs of skis in any resort on any one day. In over 10 years of two or three trips per year, it;s only happened twice in all the groups of people i;ve skiied with.

Shocked
ski holidays
Timbobaggins wrote:
Having bought new skis this year i got one of these for only £4.00

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/170862607126?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Easy to carry around, wont stop a hardened determined to nick your ski type, but will prevent the opportunist and stop the took it by mistake brigade.

AND you can honestly say to your insurer that you took reasonable steps by putting a cable lock around them.

Small light and easy to carry

Hi, I went ahead and bought one of these but for the life of me I cannot set the code or get the lock to work, are you able to give me any advice please?
snow conditions
Masque wrote:
winnie01, yer OH's a nutter snowHead Find yerself a nice virile instructor and forget where you left your skis entirely . . . life's too short to worried about splitting skis into odd pairs rolling eyes

Where do I find me one of these? Or must I wait till I return to the slopes in a month? And ... where do they gather in Alpe d'huez for my pillaging?
snow conditions
OliviaDB wrote:
Masque wrote:
winnie01, yer OH's a nutter snowHead Find yerself a nice virile instructor and forget where you left your skis entirely . . . life's too short to worried about splitting skis into odd pairs rolling eyes

Where do I find me one of these? Or must I wait till I return to the slopes in a month? And ... where do they gather in Alpe d'huez for my pillaging?

Well Masque is threatening to take instructor exams....sadly any other similarity you may require may serve to disappoint... Laughing
ski holidays
Minion1980,

Yup, push the end that looks like a little metal bit downwards as if pushing it into the lock ( where it was in the pack) and set your 3 digit code. Then pull it out and push it into the open bit as if you have wrapped it round your skis to lock it, spin the numbers, and it should be locked.

To open, set your 3 digit code and press the black release button on the side and pull it out.

Press both black buttons ( one on each side of lock, this will retract cable into body)

instructions were on back of pack Shocked

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Mon 21-01-13 18:12; edited 1 time in total
latest report
OliviaDB,

rolling eyes

Or come to La Rosiere in two weeks time and lick my eyeballs, as you threatened to do wink wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks Timbo, unfortunately I think I got a dud as I can't even push the head into the open bit to lock it. I had to press down with all my weight on a table to even activate the code setting, maybe I'm weak! I'm asking the ebay dudes for a replacement, I shouldn't have to faff around for an hour to get the bloddy thing to work. Thanks again.
ski holidays
Timbobaggins wrote:
OliviaDB,

rolling eyes

Or come to La Rosiere in two weeks time and lick my eyeballs, as you threatened to do wink wink

Supply flights and transfer and I'll do just that. Razz

Happy
And on a cost basis - if a shag can get me free private ski instruction, it's worth the money. Unless it's ESF, when it might be hit or miss.

I like you. You please me almost as much as Masque.
ski holidays
Minion1980,

You have to press the black button on the side to open the lock mechanism as you push the nobby bit in, ooooerrr missus
latest report
OliviaDB wrote:
Timbobaggins wrote:
OliviaDB,

rolling eyes

Happy
And on a cost basis - if a shag can get me free private ski instruction, it's worth the money. Unless it's ESF, when it might be hit or miss.

I doubt it, i am 47, married, although fit and not overweight, but my wife would be well hacked off, and she will be in La Rosiere as well Very Happy Very Happy

I could manage the quick shag though as my wife says i am like an SAS lover, "In and out, before she notices" Embarassed Embarassed
snow report
Timbobaggins wrote:
OliviaDB wrote:
Timbobaggins wrote:
OliviaDB,

rolling eyes

Happy

I doubt it, i am 47, married, although fit and not overweight, but my wife would be well hacked off, and she will be in La Rosiere as well Very Happy Very Happy

I could manage the quick shag though as my wife says i am like an SAS lover, "In and out, before she notices" Embarassed Embarassed

That's somewhat presumptuous - you were getting the licking. The instructor suggested by Masque would get more.

And your wife should be flattered. Next time, blame her beauty - explain how it takes ages with the other ladies.
snow report
OliviaDB,

rolling eyes
ski holidays
Lol, sorry to interupt but regarding the lock I think its definitely defective, the button on the side does nothing, doesn't even budge. I'm asking for a replacement or refund. Thanks again for your help Timbo.
snow report
Minion1980,

No probs, but mine is fine, and 3 others we got all work ok as well, so i suggest you get a replacement as they r good value for £4
latest report
Yeah its a bargain! Smile
ski holidays
Useful for the bedroom door if ODB is around...
ski holidays
James the Last wrote:
Useful for the bedroom door if ODB is around...

Very Happy Little Angel
ski holidays
I've had a mong walk off with my ski poles after one of those mountain meal things they throw in on student pissup weeks. All the wanky rental ones were silver, mine were black and non-adjustable. Was doing 5p-50p til I found them.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy