Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Construction begins on Austria's largest-ever cablecar, Mayrhofen

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Work has commenced on a cablecar that will carry Austria's largest cabins, for 160 passengers, at Mayrhofen.

The Ahornbahn will carry skiers to Ahorn in 6.5 minutes and commence operations for the 2006/7 winter. A foundation ceremony took place on Saturday 22 October.

A news report (in German) and more photos can be accessed on Seilbahn.net.

I'm guessing that the new lift is the dotted line on this lift map.

Any comments from Mayrhofen skiers?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I assume it is to replace the old 1960's one? Seems to have bottom station closer to town, meaning more people can walk and not need bus, so no double-waiting.
Ahorn is not exactly the world's most extensive ski area, so I wonder if there's plans to extend piste and facilities up there?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
From the article they seem to be replacing this old dear, but I guess they're hanging on to the white van underneath it.

I think the article says it was built in 1968.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I could swear the cars were red.

The Ahorn is a nice little beginners area and it will be a shame if it doesnt remain so.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The report says the new cable car station will be situated only 200 metres from the Penkenbahn, adjacent to the Gasthof Brücke (which is by the bridge which crosses the river Ziller and joins the Hauptstrasse).

It also says in future the entire Ahorn ski area can be covered in snow (i.e artificial snow ) so that you can count on "perfectly prepared descents to the valley". (I don't know whether this means they are going to introduce any additional valley routes to the one existing red run.) For summer the Ahorn plateau is to have new attractions: a lake (my guess is this will be used as a reservoir for the snow cannon in Winter), viewing platforms, a quiet area, and a barbecue area. The old cablecar top station is going to be converted into a (undisclosed) new attraction
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
David Goldsmith wrote:
From the article they seem to be replacing this old dear, but I guess they're hanging on to the white van underneath it.

I think the article says it was built in 1968.

Impressive and efficient though they are, these new jumbo cable cars don't have the same charm of those from a bygone era. They're more akin to the modern city "bendy-bus" - give me a good old red double decker Routemaster bus anyday wink
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hywel, maybe they need a bit of wooden cladding and make them look like giant cuckoo clocks, either that or go totally modern and make them look like spaceships or daleks or something.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I must admit im a bit of an anorak when it comes to viewing the building of a new lift in or around the alps...
It does seem alot of money to build a new one instead of revamping the old one due to the limited skiing area.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
What about that childrens playground roundabout affair that spun round with beginners grimly holding onto it?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy