Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Geneva to 3V directions

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm driving from Geneva to 3V on Thursday - a drive I have done several times before. However I have always followed satnav and gone on the motorway south to Chambery then headed East.

My new satnav, and google maps etc now tells me to cut across at Annecy, south of the lake. Looks a lot shorter but I'm concerned it might be a 'scenic but slow' route!

Does anyone know this route, and which way is quicker? Time is very important, I'm trying to fit in an afternoon ski!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Simonskis wrote:
I'm driving from Geneva to 3V on Thursday - a drive I have done several times before. However I have always followed satnav and gone on the motorway south to Chambery then headed East.

My new satnav, and google maps etc now tells me to cut across at Annecy, south of the lake. Looks a lot shorter but I'm concerned it might be a 'scenic but slow' route!

Does anyone know this route, and which way is quicker? Time is very important, I'm trying to fit in an afternoon ski!

I don't believe it makes any significant difference - I've done the run several times both ways, and struggled to notice a difference to BSM, so 3v similar. For me it depended on what mood I was in - bimble mode/time to kill then round the lake, blat mode then take the autoroute. Going round the lake you have to cut through part of the town, and that can get busy on market days/or when there's a strike on (as per my last transfer trip to Meribel) The route round the lake is cheaper as you have less tolls to pay - which is probably why the transfer drivers take that route.

Still yer pays yer money (if you take the autoroute) and takes yer pick.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Simonskis, It takes roughly the same time but you save money going via Annecy.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
lot less aggro going via the motorway - pedal to the metal all the way
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'm with Dia_FindTransfers, and just find it a nicer drive.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Motor way is do much easier, always a snarl up in Annecey.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

always a snarl up in Annecey.

not always. I would go up the east coast of the lake, it's a nicer drive, much less traffic, marginally shorter and no slower (practically the whole of the main road is 50 kph anyway) and an easier transit through Annecy up the motorway that way. Haven't encountered any snarl ups for years, but I don't travel at peak times. If using a satnav, and going that way, give Talloires as a waypoint.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
pam w, sorry, in my experience.

On 7 trips , 3 times thought to go through town,
And each time hit traffic.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Certainly a nice route via Annecy and the lake and I'm sure pam w has traveled it far more oftern than me but don't think I have ever got through the town without being stuck in a traffic jam at some point. Oh and its a few years since I've been though but last time the direction signs seemed a little random to say the least!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

last time the direction signs seemed a little random to say the least!

if you come at it from the east (ie from Annecy-le-Vieux, not to be confused with the Vielle Ville) the signposting out to the motorway to Geneva is impeccable. The other way (coming up the main road side) is a bit of a mare's nest, I agree. I would not, by the way, use a satnav through Annecy. I tried it once, to recce it for friends, and it led me a merry dance.

bertie bassett has done both ways several times and says there's nothing to choose, time wise. So it depends whether you like to travel far and fast, or see a bit of the local scene.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Have a play with this to get a better idea:

http://www.viamichelin.co.uk/
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:
bertie bassett has done both ways several times and says there's nothing to choose, time wise.
Mrs MA and I have driven from Geneva to Albertville and beyond about 20 times. Bertie B is correct - there's absolutely nothing in it time-wise. However, via Chambery and the motorway is 30-40km further and therefore more expensive in fuel and especially tolls.

We always go (there and back) via Annecy these days. We've had bad traffic (ie queues into Annecy) only twice - both occasions being Sunday night return runs to Geneva. We usually just allow a bit more time on Sunday evenings, or go round the other side of the lake if we fancy a change. It's never busy that way.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
mountainaddict wrote:
Quote:
bertie bassett has done both ways several times and says there's nothing to choose, time wise.
Mrs MA and I have driven from Geneva to Albertville and beyond about 20 times. Bertie B is correct - there's absolutely nothing in it time-wise. However, via Chambery and the motorway is 30-40km further and therefore more expensive in fuel and especially tolls.

+1
I reckon the motorway is only better on peak Saturdays in the Geneva to 3V's direction. If leaving Moutiers on a peak Saturday towards Geneva, Annecy is better despite the queues (because the tailback queue from the Chambery toll booths on the autoroute was about 15km last time I went that way on a Saturday morning so I couldn't get to the junction in order to access the relatively quiet autoroute to Geneva- never again!)
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy