Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Hire - Which level skis to go for from the popular ski hire companies?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Should I pay more for the 'premium' offerings or is it a waste of money?

I suppose I'm one of those 'intermediates' who can ski all pisted runs although moguled blacks are frankly a pain at my current level. I'm not sure I could even tell much of a difference between different skis aside from the obvious factors of length and edge condition on ice.

The best ski hire experience I've had was in Morzine from a small independent shop recommended by a friend who knows the locals. New looking skis in visibly great condition and I assume they were well serviced as they just felt good everywhere. They asked plenty of questions about my ability and took their time kitting me out, offering me a few options. Was a bit more expensive than SkiSet and the like but worth it I think. Could have just been the sheen of good customer service.

The problem I find is when booking in an unknown resort, or where there isn't much choice.

This year we're going to Courmayeur for 4 days then Nendaz for a week. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

We've been to Courmayeur before and I seem to remember that the options up on Plan Checrout were SkiSet and, er, SkiSet (2 shops). I was a bit annoyed that I'd paid for the 'performance' ski's but the only ones in my size available seemed to be from the older more knackered end of the rack. No refund was made available as apparently I already had the online discount. It was only a long weekend and not that much difference so I couldn't be bothered making a song and dance about it at the time.

I seem to remember thoroughly enjoying the holiday, so they can't have been that bad I suppose. Makes me wonder if it's worth paying more?

Any advice welcome.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
frosty75, I have been on about 25 ski trips on all manner of skis. I dont remember which models suited me best. I really have never struggled on a set or been world class either. I have paid bog standard and premium.
I now have my own ski's but dont really feel any different after three trips on them. I am pretty sure i could jump into any skis and still not feel the difference.

I will probably be shot down in flames as someone who is an ignoramus but i would imagine at my level its hard to tell so would go basic. Admittedly i am a tight back bottom.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
frosty75, I have had the same experience, of seeing the level 1 skis and level 2 skis I ordered, with a 20% difference in price, being taken from the same rack and looking identical, same make, model etc.

So, I would like to echo your question: is it worth a low-end intermediate like me renting any other than the lowest priced skis?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
A good question frosty75, from your OP we are at about the same level so here's my experience from last season -

We went with Ski Olympic to their La Foret Chalet in Vallandry where they do their own in-house ski hire with a ski tech on hand.

Initially I had my usual mid-level piste skis - Salomon X-Wings in this case iirc. The ski tech was encouraging people to try better skis for an extra €5 a day and on day 4 I gave them a go.
The better skis he gave me were Salomon Threats which are designed for those progressing from piste to snowpark. So it's fair to say that Salomon probably didn't have overweight middle-aged men in mind when they came up with them.
Nevertheless, they were a revelation , "poppy", easy to turn and just plain fun! They also seemed to grip better on the icy bits. I kept hold of them for the last 2 days - I hadn't realised what a difference skis could make.
So this year I'll be paying for the best skis and probably trying different types in the week.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Wed 16-01-13 11:41; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
frosty75, I think it's worth paying more, as long as - as others have said - you get the skis you pay for.

But I think the best thing to do (if you go regularly) is to find a set you like and then buy a pair, as familiarity with and confidence in your equipment will make a big difference.

Buy at the end of season, or even a pair of lightly-used second-handers, and it will also quickly work out cheaper than hiring, even with the increasing cost of carriage.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for the responses, mixed views. I think so long as they're in decent nick and well serviced, any current piste ski will be fine. I think this and the customer service is what I'm after so I decided to do a bit more Internet research for Courmayeur.

I found thes guys http://www.alpineve.it via this thread on TripAdvisor http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g187865-d1739866-r147607908-Alpineve-Courmayeur_Valle_d_Aosta.html#REVIEWS.

Sounds like they offer good service, and maybe will have a less crowded boot room at least.

Turns out they are on Plan Checrouit near all the others but tucked away to the side. Prices look to be similar to the big online names, maybe a few euros more.

I just can't see myself buying skis, puely for the hassle of dragging them through airports and transfers either end. Include the cost of transport and what would it be, a 6 year payoff?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have my own skis now, having bitten the bullet a couple of seasons ago, BUT when I used to hire them, only once did I get the "gold" skis or whatever, and they were so stiff I found them almost uncontrollable. With ski equipment, "better" often means "faster" which translates to "stiffer"!

You have done the right thing looking for an independent shop where you can hopefully take time to discuss what you want and maybe ask them to show you the different levels. Any half decent shop will let you bring back the skis if you don't like them and swop them for something else anyway.

Also if you book through a tour operator, or through an online offer, bear in mind they will have been screwed down on margin and thus more likely to give you the old shagged-out stuff. Can't beat going into the shop and getting a proper rapport with someone.

Edit: I keep my skis in Switzerland and I wouldn't want to lug them through airports etc. Plenty of people do though. Pay off is a simple sum based on hire cost, buy cost and how often you think you will go. If you are only able to make it once a year, you are better off hiring IMO
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I always tend to go for the middle level, which is usually red/black in most shops gradings, black/gold being the premium. I used to order the beginner level skis (when I started out), but noticed how much heavier they were than the OHs, so started ordering the same level as I did for her.

I don't go for the top level as sanman, I wouldn't want anything too stiff or racy. May change when I get better or ski more often.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yeah, middle level is what I tended to go for, for similar reasons. I'll be doin the same at this independant in Courmayeur. I certainly don't want stiff race skis!

Just need to find somewhere decent in Nendaz now.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy