Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Duex Alps or Les Contamines

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

So im going snowboarding and have been looking at where to go, I have narrowed it down to Les Deux Alps or Les Contamines , my question is which one should I go to for a absolute beginner.

If i go to Les Deux Alps (With action outdoors), the overall cost will be approximately £665. (inc flights transfers etc)
Going to the same place with Travel Talk (the other UCPA agent) with cost £600, but leaving on the 7th April (so one day less).

The other option is Les Contamines with Travel Talk, the cost of that excluding transfer is £455 (leaving on the 7th April)

So what do other snowheads think?. I want to go LDA but i could save quite a bit of $$$ with Les contamines (if i can find a cheap transfer)

Merci.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The first time I did a DIY trip I was surprised how much I had to pay for the transfer. I would get a quote on that before committing.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The cheapest I have found so far for Les Contamines from geneva is £200 from resort ride (which brings up the price to being more then LDA), unless theres somewhere cheaper that anyone knows of.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
mcewen06, are you comparing like with like? UCPA is full board, equipment hire, lessons, pass, etc. Most deals don't include all that.

You can't go wrong with beginner lessons through UCPA.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
they are both UCPA (traveltalk and Action outdoors).
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Sorry, hadn't clicked with that. I suspect mcewen06 is right. I have been looking at transfers from here to Geneva on Thursday for some friends - I would have driven but being out of action have been looking at alternatives. £220 one way from Les Saisies to Geneva. Les Contamines is nearer, but it won't be cheap. If Les Contamines turns out cheaper, it's a great little resort, and the snow will be top quality at the moment. But if "apres" is important to you, there's a heap more of it in LDA.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
mcewen06 wrote:
The cheapest I have found so far for Les Contamines from geneva is £200 from resort ride (which brings up the price to being more then LDA), unless theres somewhere cheaper that anyone knows of.

This is why I said to get prices first. I haven't ever got transfers (unless provided as part of a TO package) for what I considered a good price. There was a poster in here a couple of months ago advertising their site which was offering shared transfers trying to get people hooked up with others who need the same transfer route which is great idea in theory. However in your boat I would go with then complete package option to Les Deux Alpes. I had done a number of TO trips befor doing any DIY ones.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I would go deux alpes. In April the extra height will make a difference to the snow being still snow not slush. Les contamines could be absolutely fine . . . . . . But equally might not be so great - I have had it both ways..
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
i'm pretty sure i took a bus from GVA to les Contamines a few years ago and certainly did not cost £200. probably closer to £20
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
NickyJ, transfers to/from 2Alpes are cheap - Bensbus or public transport, regular services.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I think Annie's advice about altitude is good - I had not properly focussed on the April bit. LC is often still great in April and I had a super day there a few years ago on the very last day of their season but in warm Aprils I've also had poor conditions there, even at the top.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Same here hadn't taken that bit In either. From what I have rEad it has the largest Glacier in Europe which is why I have booked their for April 2014. So can't comment on it for personal experience. Hope you have a great time.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The vast majority of skiing in L2A is higher than Les C's highest lift. In early April, unless there's a freak winter, pretty much the whole of the main side of the mountain will be open - the smaller side will probably be horrible. You'll probably have round 2000m of vertical available. As an absolute beginner it may not seem too important but if you progress quickly you may appreciate the options later in the week.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Agree with snowhouse, Even in 2011 when conditions were dire in April L2A had good skiing even in the afternoons above 2600m (ie 1000m vertical). Many other resorts had very little. I'll be there for my 8th Easter.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Certainly last April in L2A you could still get from the top of the glacier down to the village even if the last run was a bit horrible so if you had any sense you took the lift down.
snow report
April, go to L2A.

Also, I have a feeling that osme of the UCPA centrws are more english language friendsly than others. I hadn't seen Les Contamines on AO website which may indicate less english spoken, if that is a consideration to you.
ski holidays
Ugh loads of spelling / typos!
ski holidays
Quote:

I hadn't seen Les Contamines on AO website which may indicate less english spoken, if that is a consideration to you.

An interesting point. I saw people with a UCPA instructor in Les Contamines a year or so ago, and just assumed they'd come from Chamonix or Flaine. I hadn't realised there was a centre there. I saw them from a chairlift so didn't have a chance to ask. they looked like they were having a lot of fun, charging between a couple of the pisted runs.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy