Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Early March ski trip advice please - resort and accomodation

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Having just returned from a great week in Les gets I have decided to book a cheeky weekend away with a few friends. We are looking at leaving on 8 March as their are loads of cheap flights to Geneva. Chamberry has very few flight options for 3/4 days.

1. I like the idea of a short transfer from Geneva and thought of Flaine. Is there a bigger risk booking a lower resort at this time of year or is early March no problem
2. Further afield is Les Arcs or La Plagne which is about 3 hours transfer but higher altitude

We are a diverse bunch - Baby blue skiers (me), red run boarders (aka the piste wreckers), red and black run skiers

I would appreciatre your thoughts on resorts and cheap accomodation in those resorts you would recommend. We would be happy in chalet, hotel or apartment but hate long walks to chair lifts.

I have probably asked for too much advice in one thread but I value peoples recommendations as I have only skied twice now.

Thanks
Mike.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Mike-H, How many is a few? rent a car or transfers? Is night life in the mix, Flaine is a bit limited. Les Arc is a big area, some better suited to red runners. I went to LA2000 last year and bar being insanely cold enjoyed it, no walks to lifts really, just an annoying tow on the way back. Down to 1950 for a couple of beers before dinner, might go back on the 8th myself.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Flaine is plenty high enough early march. Loads of skiing on Grand Massif. Easy transfer 1hr, not too expensive.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
At the moment its looking like 6 people. Night life I can take of or leave. I know it sounds 'old' but if im there for 3 days I dont want to write of large chunks of days with hangovers. A few beers in the evening with pizza is fine by me. Age range is 30 to 45.

Les Arcs ticks quite a few boxes. Hotel golf is about £200-250 per person for 3 nights B&B. Only just started looking and hope the good community on Snowheads will offer some tips on accomodation.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
jubnut, True, cant find any accomodation yet but i have just started looking.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Le Grand Bornand is about 1hr transfer from Geneva and has quite a few affordable apartments via places like owners direct.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mike-H, I had a night in the Golf hotel, and can say its fine, and if you can get it for £200 for three nights thats great. Its close enough to the bars/restaurants just a stroll. The rooms were clean and comfy and breakfast was acceptable. Drinks in the bar were on the pricey end, but as I say its 5 minutes to the centre and less to the piste.

The comedy floors are fun to.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I am struggling to find any hotels using the usual online sources hotels (dot) com, booking (dot) com etc. Are there any sites that are more suitable for finding hotels in places like Avoriaz, Flaine, La Plagne etc.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Les Arcs ticks quite a few boxes. Hotel golf is about £200-250 per person for 3 nights B&B.

I'd grab that soonest. It's french school hols and you will be very lucky to find any 3 night accommodation in any French hotel, frankly.

There was a recent thread about ski weekends - personally (despite being a Francophile) I'd go somewhere else. There will be no problem with snow but slopes will be busy and accommodation difficult. Innsbruck sounded a good bet. You do need to get a bus to the lift but there are a number of good options. Or maybe Italy?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
pam w, Thanks for info. I did not realise it was French school hols. Geneva offers me the best flight options and that is my only free weekend. No wonder flights are cheaper!

I am used to busy though as my only experiences of skiing is New Year holidays.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We could offer you our apartment for a long weekend, we have friends out to visit us on Thursday 14th March so it would work well for us.
Would you be able to do a Saturday to Tuesday or Wednesday or does it have to be Friday to Monday? A Saturday start would be better for us (and cheaper for you) but a Friday start is not impossible.

If you want you can take meals at the hotel opposite, they offer a buffet breakfast and 3 course evening meal for under £30 per day.

For 6 of you it would be in the region of £150 per person for 3 nights accommodation and meals (it doesn't include wine) or £190 for 4 nights.

Have a look at the link in the signature for details of our apartment.

Any questions just pm me.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Mike-H, that suggestion from skichampcouk sounds good. And they will be able to give you local advice about avoiding the busiest bottlenecks. It won't be easy to find weekend accomm. at that point - I wouldn't delay, if you get a good offer.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy