Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Holiday / Ski Insurance

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

I've done a quick search on here but found notihng conclusive. I did take a look at Snow Card but at £36 I felt it was a little steep.

I've just entered my details into confused.com, clicked the box that said "Winter Sports" and the policys start from £10.90, cheapest being Coverwise who are underwritten by Axa.

What's stopping me go with one of these policys? What don't they cover that companies like Snowcard do?

Thanks

George
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
George 3G, depends what you want cover for. For example, will you be skiing off piste without a guide? Even just the other side of the piste markers will count as off piste. Would your skis be covered if they were stolen from outside a restaurant? Read the different policies carefully & see if they provide the cover you want.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
One of the things to look at is the excesses and level of cover. When I was searching I found one which was very cheap had a quick look at excesses ski hire equipment max cover £100 excess £100 hmmm well that's useful then.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've already booked my ski and ski boot hire online to get a discount, but I've heard you can insure these when you collect them at the shop?

I would like to go off piste, but I am going to Italy and I was under the impression that off piste skiing was banned and you could incur a fine of up to €500. If this isn't the case, I will go off piste.

George
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

What's stopping me go with one of these policys? What don't they cover that companies like Snowcard do?

impossible to say without reading a lot of small print. You need to ensure that you are covered for piste rescue and big money for medical cover. Everything else is liveable without.

One difference is cover for off piste - lots of small print needs to be read there. Direct Line seems to get quite a good write up here and for reasonable cost. quick look at the basic coverwise policy suggests it doesn't cover various things like "abandonment" "delayed departure" "missed departure". so as long as you're not abandoned and don't miss your flight, that's fine!

If you are going with a package tour operator I think I'd be inclined to take what they recommend. Then if you have a big problem you have a basis for argument.

You don't know how good your insurance is till you have to claim, of course.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
George 3G, that was just one of them have a look through everything if you are intending to pay extra in the hire shop then great on that example it was enough to put me off, and I didn't read any further.

However the fact that it is Axa is encouraging I had to claim off them once (a long time ago) and had no issues. If you don't already have it sign up for an EHIC card.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks NickyJ, helping me again in another thread Very Happy

Already got the EHIC card from a previous holiday

I'll take a look at Direct Line
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Direct line £63.70
Inghams / Fogg £39
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
George 3G, Direct Travel will be a lot cheaper than Direct Line, and seem to be pretty good cover.

I've insured with them for my upcoming trip.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
https://www.moneysupermarket.com/travel-insurance/results/59929143?isNewSearch=True

Never used any of them , with Bupa but as a price guide.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Insure and go dont seem to bad. They cover off piste but limit the number of days you can ski on each type of policy they have. Never heard that off piste in Italy is not legal - I would be a poor man if it wasnt!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Reasons I went with Snowcard over others:

1. They cover your items even if they are stolen outside a restaurant. (Although not, I may add, if you leave them unattended elsewhere).
2. They cover hire items. (Which a LOT of insurers simply dont)
3. Easy to tweak how much cover you want for specific things.

IMHO if all you want is the absolute bare minimum you can get a lot cheaper. But you simply wont be covered for much, and their exclusions list seems to be inversely proportional to the price.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
George,

Insurance for a ski holiday has become a minefield and effectively you have to make a few judgement calls and hope for the best. The main issue is around skiing off piste - what constitutes off piste, are you equipped to go off piste, did you ski with a guide, have you ignored local expert advice in going off piste, etc. There have been a few threads over the last couple of years, which well make your head hurt. But if you really want to know why price isn't the only consideration you may want to go there. There are then lots of secondary issues in regard of what level of cover is offered and how easy it is to get paid out. Some of which are standard holiday insurance issues and some of which are specific to skiing... equipment, lift closure, etc.

I am currently using Snowcard but only for medical cover. I self insure for the rest... briefly because:

Holiday itself, I DIY. If I cancel anything (never happened so far) depending on when it happens I should be able to get most of it back. If not it might cost me a few hundred quid which I can afford to lose in the small chance that it happens.

Equipment. We have our own gear. It is never left unattended except in a locked roofbox or ski locker. Could still be nicked but very unlikely. Besides which it's all second hand or old and as far as I'm aware most policies won't do new for old. I remember ringing Snowcard years ago and the guy told me even he didn't bother.

Lift closure. With snow cannons and because lift companies can't afford not to a complete closure is a rarity these days. I put down the loss of a day once in a blue moon down to experience.

Lift pass. Don't lose it and don't get hurt Toofy Grin Again, if it ever happened it wouldn't be a huge amount of money for me.

Just some thoughts of mine.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Lift pass. Don't lose it

lost lift pass not a big deal these days. In our area, keep your original receipt and you can get a replacement on payment of a €5 admin charge. They just electronically cancel the old one, so if some lowlife finds it and tries to use it the speakers at the lift gates will shout "Voleur!" instead of "bambin".
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ive found TGIC very good. Ive got an annual insurance with them with 31 days winter sports.

http://www.tgic-online.com/ti/jsp/welcome.jsp?AccountID=24873
snow conditions
pam w, correct. But don't lose it anyway Smile

George, if IIRC correctly Italy allows heliskiing whereas France doesn't. Plus the Italians and rules and regs don't really go together. So I am pretty sure you can ski off piste. Though I hasten to add I've never skied in Italy.
snow report
Quote:

If this isn't the case, I will go off piste.

It is extremely improbable that any cheap insurance will cover skiing off piste without a guide. Snowcard "Extreme adventure" level does, as one example. Rules about off piste in Italy vary from region to region (do some googling) and make sure you know the local rules. But you can be sure that even if the Italian authorities don't catch you, should you infringe the local rules, no insurance will cover you if you ski against local advice or rules. That's just one reason why skiing a closed run, even one you know well, is daft.
latest report
pam w wrote:
Quote:

Lift pass. Don't lose it

lost lift pass not a big deal these days. In our area, keep your original receipt and you can get a replacement on payment of a €5 admin charge. They just electronically cancel the old one, so if some lowlife finds it and tries to use it the speakers at the lift gates will shout "Voleur!" instead of "bambin".

Yes, just ignore the advice give on purchase of keep the receipt with the lift pass, they mean keep it somewhere else, so if you lose one you have the other.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy