Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Rockers, the new carvers?

Poster: A snowHead
I think someone should develop a Mod ski, and then we can watch a real riot start when it comes to determining which is best.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
K2 skis had MOD technology for years before they went rocker.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I can't wait to see some idiot punter trying to get a pair of https://www.dpsskis.com/ski/spoon down something icy in the Haute Savoie.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
zammo, It'll get down alright with someone who knows what they're doing but the Barry Manilow front end will not feel nice at all . . . lots of inertia there.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Isn't this thread about 7-10 years too late? rolling eyes
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Isn't this thread about 7-10 years too late?

No, you need to wait for the 2015 thread in which under a new name admits he might have been wrong.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
gorilla wrote:
No, you need to wait for the 2015 thread in which under a new name admits he might have been wrong.

Laughing Laughing Laughing

I've been having a series of private lessons with an instructor here in Cham and he's skiing on Dynastar Cham 107s, which are fat(ish) and have a long tip rocker. The fecker can still carve perfectly on them on piste (which goes to show that it's all about the skills). Off piste, I can't tell if the rocker makes it easier for him but I know my WD Directors are easier to ski in deep snow than my Icelantic Pilgrims and I can still turn them easily on piste.

Edited to add the piste performance of the Directors.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Wed 16-01-13 11:58; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I think I'll have to reserve judgement till I try them. I was just worried that if I don't like them the trend seems to be for rockers to appear on most skis I'd have gone for before (such as Missions).
I've never had any problem with tip dive and I'm not sure I want my skis to smear a turn more. Especially in breakable crust you want to force the ski into a clean carve. Not sure how this would play with a rocker.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
snowball, on the crust front absolutely fine and in fact it's easier than trad camber as the contact point is further back and combined with the rocker engagement is way more progressive so the ski is a lot less hooky. Basically in any snow where more ski than just the ski edge is engaging (most conditions even on piste) you'll more often than not be skiing the whole length of the ski with the sort of tip rocker put on things like the Missions.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowball wrote:
I think I'll have to reserve judgement till I try them. I was just worried that if I don't like them the trend seems to be for rockers to appear on most skis I'd have gone for before (such as Missions).
I've never had any problem with tip dive and I'm not sure I want my skis to smear a turn more. Especially in breakable crust you want to force the ski into a clean carve. Not sure how this would play with a rocker.

About 4 years ago I had similar reservations. I was wrong (generally when skiers think of rocker then think of extreme examples such as K2 Pontoon!)

The reality with "all-terrain" rocker is that the effect is quite subtle and you can happily carve on boiler plate. For sure, its a marketing buzz-word (in simple terms 'rocker' = 'big ski tips with contact point moved perhaps 5-10cm back') : but it does provide an incremental performance improvement for all-mountain skis in variable snow.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've posted this link on a few previous rocker threads, but it probably bears repeating... http://blistergearreview.com/articles/skiing-101-safer-skiing-the-case-for-fatter-rockered-skis

Other possibly interesting reads include http://www.skinet.com/ski/gear/2009/10/the-wisdom-of-saucer-boy (an instruction manual for a ski) and http://blistergearreview.com/articles/rocker-101

In all cases though, they're thinking about skiing on 3d snow, not smooth, hard pistes.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
snowball, I think there's still something to be said for the longer effective edge and grip of a trad ski in certain circumstances like icy couloirs, sketchy traverses and no-fall zones. That said I've regularly seen people on rockered skis skiing very burly lines though perhaps not the 3000ft Alpine variable. In North America it's almost a no-brainer - you're unlikely to be encountering extremes in snow condition in a single run (barring wind polish) - a soft day is a soft day.

For those whose life is less extreme a rockered ski does enable you to ski more creatively in 3D snow.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
^ Plenty La Grave mountain guides use the rockered skis as their daily driver. (S7s / Sidestash / Dynastars etc)

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Wed 16-01-13 13:30; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
fatbob wrote:
In North America it's almost a no-brainer - you're unlikely to be encountering extremes in snow condition in a single run (barring wind polish) - a soft day is a soft day.

My one experience of Heli Skiing in Canada everything above the tree-line was proper breakable crust (ie you broke through on the turns - usually). In the trees was nice powder.
snow report
I'd be gutted if I went heli-skiing and got breakable crust.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy