Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

St Anton Query

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I've been to the above 2 and heading there again this year, first time in '05 it snowed heavily/was very windy for 4 of the 6 days, only 1 blue sky skiing, so didn't get to explore the whole place, next time in '10 got to all of St Anton but only got to lech and Zurs for one day which was via a bus, my main question is it possible to get to Lech or Zurs by taking some off piste route or is it accessible by bus only.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Glengooly-Guy, you can ski off the back of the Valluga to Zurs, but you're only allowed to take skis up the lift when accompanied by a guide (apparently you can hike up though, search for Bobinch's TR).
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Skiing from St. Anton to Zurs is only possible with a guide from the Valluagabahn 2 lift to a steep descent.

At the bottom of the closest to Lech-Zuers lift, the Valfagehrbahn, there is a free blue bus to Zuers and Lech (the Yellow bus is a not free Post bus).
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
At busier times it can be quicker (less waiting at Alp Rauz - bus stop at the bottom of the Valfagehrbhan) to get the bus (you pay I am afraid) from the St. Anton bus station.

The new Rendlebahn also makes the trip there much easier too!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'd also recommend taking the Postbus and paying (I think it's only €6 return). Travel in comfort with a seat from the bus station (stop F from memory) rather than taking the blue bus which can be a total scrum.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
^ +1
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It is possible to access Valluga Nord from Vallugabahn 1, but it is a heavy duty climb up a steep face. That does not stop many from doing it, so it is often quite boot-packed. That said, I certainly would not do my first, second, or tenth trip down the back without a guide. Have a read of Andy Thurner's excellent book, Arlberg Offpiste. Some discussion of it here: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=74877

Not sure of the relevance of the comment on Rendlbahn to getting to Rauz, or beyond to Lech and Zurs. Well, unless you are up at Rendl Beach, and decide to download to catch the Post Bus to Lech/Zurs...
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
+1 to what ulmerhutte said, the bootpack climb can be sketchy depending on the route the first person used! Is fun though!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We did the West face last week, though the North face was also open. Both routes end up at the same place.

You can also ski back to Rauch or Stuben off piste from Zurs though the routes are avalanche prone and can get crusty (the latter was the case last week when we skied the area, so our guide didn't think it suitable). It is not done as frequently as the Valluga - Zurs direction because of needing very stable snow and because people are usually running out of time by the time they want to return, but there are 3 routes, all starting from the top of the red cable car at the south west corner of Zurs, and all coming together at the point they ski over the roof of the Rauch - Zurs road. I have only skied one of them.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I was meaning that the trip up to Rendle is easier as well as the OP had not been to StA for a few years. no help for the trip to Alp Rauz.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy