Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

So are there any tips that I can practice to help me turn like this

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

one thing that you could concentrate on is flowing turns

I find that the music does help with that - turn strictly in time to the music, using different tempi.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
pam w, I've a bunch of old aerobics tapes I've digitised that have different BPMs that I use . . . been caught jigging around to then in lift queues once or twice, not a good look for an old fart Embarassed
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sideshow_Bob wrote:
Lots of people have this concept of form-based 'perfect skiing' around certain motions of arms or legs from what they've read or heard about and compare top-end skiers against this model or state that one person is skiing better than another solely based on the observed derogation from this model, but it's often the descriptions or understanding of this model that's lacking (or often physically impossible to achieve), not the skier being analyzed. People are told to keep their hands level or not to incline and will play at armchair quarterback and criticize skiers such as Rocca or Ligety for putting their inside hands down lower than their outside hand and disregard everything else. Back to the piano analogy, this reminds me of a rather OCD friend who'd taken a few piano lessons and got to a reasonable standard but was very critical of Lang Lang's performance in the Beijing opening ceremony, stating that while his playing was 'reasonable', he'd be so much better if he kept his head absolutely still, just like my friend had drummed into him by his piano teacher.

Exactly right, and illustrated by a funny story. What more could you ask for in a single post?!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sideshow_Bob,
Quote:

a rather OCD friend who'd taken a few piano lessons and got to a reasonable standard but was very critical of Lang Lang's performance in the Beijing opening ceremony, stating that while his playing was 'reasonable', he'd be so much better if he kept his head absolutely still, just like my friend had drummed into him by his piano teacher.

Laughing Laughing Laughing (Not that I like Lang Lang's playing - but not for that reason.)
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Megamum wrote:

I've always found skiing more frustrating than fun because I don't seem to have any natural talent for it - every thing I do with it comes hard learned and I can't do it straight away and I don't like not being able to do something. However, I am much better than I was and I can now get around a lot of a pisted mountain

I'm the same, I guess with somewhat more experience, excepting I've always had a lot of fun. I'm immensely satisfied (I guess smug is a shorter way of saying that) at what I can do now compared with twenty years ago - perhaps more so than if I'd taken to skiing like a duck to water. I still take lots of lessons and still seek improvement (for which there is plenty of scope).
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
laundryman, I love that feeling when something 'clicks' and I can work on making it better and consistent. Very Happy
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
gatecrasher wrote:
Megamum, I don't even need to look at the video....race training!

Well it may help - but IIRC most of those guys are not racers at all...
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
little tiger wrote:
gatecrasher wrote:
Megamum, I don't even need to look at the video....race training!

Well it may help - but IIRC most of those guys are not racers at all...

little tiger, dhoh! now you've made me look at the video...And I would have to agree with you.

I reckon they probably ski more than two weeks a year though, I think that's the amount Megamum skis + the odd trip to an indoor slope. Over here the options, to get to the level Megamum wishes "in this life" would be to do regular clinics "weekly ideally" which can sometimes work out quite expensive, or join a race training club on a weekly basis...this option works out generally cheaper & more focused on these size of turns IMO.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy