Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Planning for a new addiction...

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,
I went on my first weeks ski holiday this January. We went to Val Thorens and i had the most amazing time (thoroughly recommend hotel + restaurant at Les Trois Vallees and David Mitchell as a private ski instructor).

Problem is I now appear to be addicted and am trying to plan next year (sadly no money for this year... Sad ) I've found some cheap flights and worked out a cheap bus to the resort but I'm struggling with accommodation.

There is just 2 of us (me and my partner) we're happy with self catering or hotel but cheap is good. Hotels seem to look pricier but self catering adds up as it's usually aimed at groups of 4+. Is there such a thing as a studio just for 2 people? What is a good price for somewhere clean, warm and quiet in Val Thorens? We're thinking the 2nd two weeks of Jan (seem to be cheap and was so quiet this year!)

Any suggestions and recommendations welcome! I just want to make it cheap enough that I can go again!

Thankyou,

Charlotte
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
CharlotteJane, maybe go somewhere other than Val thorens, which is an expensive resort? There are plenty of places where you can get a studio for 2.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Very quick look, something like this. It's only £380 this week so it would have been cheaper last month. Must be loads of similar places available http://www.ownersdirect.co.uk/france/FR5712.htm
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It's my partners favourite resort (he's skied a fair bit)... There were lots of runs that I just wasn't quite good enough to do this year that I NEED to conquer... and I'm hoping to get some more lessons from the same instructor!

If it's the choice between skiing or not then I'll go elsewhere but Val Thorens would be first choice Happy

Any suggestions of other resorts in 3 valleys area where you get more for your money? Need to suit a good intermediate skier (mostly reds and blacks) and an enthusiastic beginner! Thankyou pam w, I'll widen the search a bit!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
http://www.vtr-voyages.fr/new_reservation.html?stay_id=1042&departure_id=06-04-2013

CharlotteJane, this and similar sites will enable you to look for a studio and lift passes included - 469 euros here, for a random week in early April (nothing yet for next season).
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
CharlotteJane, have you looked at Les Menuires and St Martin which are further down the Val Thorens valley?

I would have recommend La Tania but its the furthest from Val Thorens you can get in the whole area!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
CharlotteJane, Why don't you take a look at the EoSB in snow events - http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=90364 this year it was only £375 per person - as many as you wish (£355 if you paid early) staying in superb self catering accommodation at the Oxalys inc. a lift pass to the VT area - all you would have to add is getting there (and there are plenty of options for that) and your self catering grub. There are usually instructors organised if you want to hire them or you can do your own thing. I see no reason why it won't run next year (though sometimes you do have to be patient and wait for the thread to appear Admin was exceptionally early this year Very Happy
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
CharlotteJane, there are even better resorts then VT, some even cheaper.
I understand that your first resort is possibly like your first love but trust me, look around, there are far more beautiful places ...... and less expensive.

Fortunately for me Arinsal was my first resort and i dont have this problem.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
CharlotteJane wrote:
David Mitchell as a private ski instructor

Well that's certainly a change of pace from Peep Show.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
mag1882 wrote:
CharlotteJane wrote:
David Mitchell as a private ski instructor

Well that's certainly a change of pace from Peep Show.

Bet he wears a bloody gopro. In fact I blame him for the gopro craze.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
It certainly seems like an addiction to me at the moment. I started last year and have since sunk a fortune on lessons, gear and holidays. I went on one trip last year and have three booked for this winter. The more I get in to it the better it gets, so I can envision more expense in the not too distant future! Love it though snowHead
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Corduroy, my first (big) resort was VT - I have since been to others, however, given the choice I would also go back to VT - isn't it daft?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
justatheory wrote:
It certainly seems like an addiction to me at the moment. I started last year and have since sunk a fortune on lessons, gear and holidays. I went on one trip last year and have three booked for this winter. The more I get in to it the better it gets, so I can envision more expense in the not too distant future! Love it though snowHead

Ha, are you me?

Started last year too with one trip and have had two so far this season with another to come. I think a cocaine addiction might've been cheaper (but nowhere near as fun!) Laughing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Flights get more expensive teh closer you are to departure but accomodation gets cheaper, much cheaper. If you have flights sorted (to Geneva?) the world will be your oyster the week before you are due to go. You'll be able to take your pick and may get something much nicer than a studio for the same money, particularly if you are prepared to take a room in a catered chalet.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

accomodation gets cheaper, much cheaper

that's not entirely true. I am familiar with a whole load of French rental prices (including several apartments in my own complex - I don't rent out mine). The rental prices are invariably listed on the owner's websites, and don't change. In low season they are low, and there's lots of choice - in high season they are high, and are all booked months in advance.

If someone is renting a 2 bed apartment out for €350 - €400 euros a week in mid January they are not going to drop their price - it's not worth the wear and tear and electricity and water costs for less, better to leave it empty.

It is misleading to say that "the world is your oyster" a week before departure, flying into geneva. You might get a good last minute deal but that's far less likely in peak season (ie from mid February until mid March, in France) and you need to be flexible. If you are renting an apartment from a private owner (ie a DIY holiday) there's a strong argument for booking up in advance, after shopping around for the best prices and location.
latest report
swiftoid, I only wish I'd started sooner! I'm already scheming on taking a sabbatical from work to do a season.
ski holidays
justatheory wrote:
swiftoid, I only wish I'd started sooner! I'm already scheming on taking a sabbatical from work to do a season.

Me too. I'm 34 and can't believe it took me so long to get into this. Still I'm having fun making up for lost time!
snow conditions
swiftoid, I'm 34 too! Spooky Skullie
latest report
Quote:

Is there such a thing as a studio just for 2 people? What is a good price for somewhere clean, warm and quiet in Val Thorens? We're thinking the 2nd two weeks of Jan (seem to be cheap and was so quiet this year!)

Yes, there are studios for 2. Forget VT and go to les Menuires instead. Look at http://www.lesmenuires.com/hiver/ and the booking panel on the right, but it won't let you book for january next year yet. I was looking at _small_ studios for 2 wc 26th January for 280Euro. Also forget 2nd two weeks january and look at the last two weeks. Early January is Russian christmas and new year and no longer the quiet cheap time it used to be.

Quote:

Problem is I now appear to be addicted

Also, start planning for a life without posh furniture and other (non-essential) items, but a look of blissful satisfaction on your face from December to May.
ski holidays
The ohter thing you have to plan for is French school holidays - French prices tend to be based around those rather than anything else.
snow report
pam w wrote:
Quote:

accomodation gets cheaper, much cheaper

that's not entirely true. I am familiar with a whole load of French rental prices (including several apartments in my own complex - I don't rent out mine). The rental prices are invariably listed on the owner's websites, and don't change. In low season they are low, and there's lots of choice - in high season they are high, and are all booked months in advance.

If someone is renting a 2 bed apartment out for €350 - €400 euros a week in mid January they are not going to drop their price - it's not worth the wear and tear and electricity and water costs for less, better to leave it empty.

It is misleading to say that "the world is your oyster" a week before departure, flying into geneva. You might get a good last minute deal but that's far less likely in peak season (ie from mid February until mid March, in France) and you need to be flexible. If you are renting an apartment from a private owner (ie a DIY holiday) there's a strong argument for booking up in advance, after shopping around for the best prices and location.

Well, everyone's experiences are different. I'm getting emails every day from chalet owners I've previously stayed with offering fantastic deals for a the next month or so. I chalet I rented in around Verbier last Jan is now cheaper and is catered. Also got some in Chamonix that are really cheap. If I already had flights booked I'd be laughing... Admittedly, these are at the more expensive end of the market so they have more leeway to make offers.
snow report
justatheory wrote:

Just another me too... started March last year and been twice this season with another to come! Not quite the same age though!

Trying to figure out the best city for an English (only) speaking software developer to move to that has easy access to weekend skiing Wink
snow conditions
Megamum wrote:
Corduroy, my first (big) resort was VT - I have since been to others, however, given the choice I would also go back to VT - isn't it daft?

I see my first girlfriend from time to time and i definitely go back there! Just for a quick blast mind.

It is a bit daft really, i think we remember all the excitement of the first time which adds something extra to our perception of how good the resort really is.
snow report
Quote:

I see my first girlfriend from time to time and i definitely go back there! Just for a quick blast mind.

Laughing
snow conditions
Corduroy, Well VT wasn't my first resort, but it was where I had my first major break-through on skis.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy