Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Family Ski- First time for everybody in the party except me!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,

Newbie to the forum Happy

In Feb, our family of four (kids 10 & 7) and our friends, also a family of four (kids 13 & 10) are going to Meribel. With the exception of myself, the rest have never been skiing before. I have done a lot of skiing, including a ski season in La Plagne, but that was a long time ago now, so I haven't been for about 15 years!! It's taken 12 of those to convince my husband to go Happy

I know that things have moved on, especially ski design as they seem shorter and fatter! I used to ski off 190's, (I'm 175cm tall) but I know that that is no longer the case with these upto date skis- so any advice on what to get from ski hire would be appreciated.

Also, a couple of people have suggested that everybody wears helmets these days? Is this the case guys? It never occurred to me to bother with them as I never have before, but as I say....it was a long time ago now.

I'm very excited and can't wait. I just hope that me knees are still upto it!

Thanks in advance for any advice.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi wiggle, a couple of posts down I've mentioned my return to the Tyrolean slopes after quite a few years, and now it's with a family. I've listed all the things I've done to prepare, it might be useful for you.

I am not too sure what equipment we will be rented, but I trust the hire shop will advise accordingly.

The helmet question was on my mind. Definately the children will be wearing them, but I never have before, and I won't be "tearing it up" on the slopes.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Last time we went (dec 2010) I certainly noticed a lot more helmets on the slope than previous years however certainly not everybody. We hired one with My eldests ski equipment (she was 4) and we have booked them for both girls with their hire stuff for April (they are now 3 & 6).

I am also planning on borrowing my mums helmet thus time (she bought it dirt cheap from Sports direct last year think it was £4.99 she paid for it)

On the ski yes all the ones you hire seem to be carvers and you ski in them shorter than the old style. I just let them give me what the hire firm think and have been happy with what they have given me but I am by no means an expert.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

Also, a couple of people have suggested that everybody wears helmets these days? Is this the case guys?

no they don't, but it will be compulsory for kids in lessons - no problem if they're renting skis, the helmets go with them.

Book ski school for all your beginners NOW. Some schools will already be fully booked. Get advice here as to which ski school to use - they are not all created equal and Meribel isn't the easiest place for beginners, so they will need all the guidance they can get.

Yes, the hire place will give you the right skis - probably 165-ish. Skiing has changed a lot; you'd probably enjoy a private lesson which will help you get the most out of the skis. Meribel is sprawly - give some thought to the logistics of the journey between your accommodation and the ski school meeting place.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks so far!

The lessons are booked as we have just gone for the straightforward, book it all in advance including, lessons, passes, hire etc. We are going with Inghams to Chalet Grangettes, which I understand is quite close to some of the lifts.

I'm really hoping that everybody enjoys it as it's been soooo frustrating in the 'lack of ski' wilderness Crying or Very sad

I hope that I can still do it Blush Laughing
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy